We have to get back to a four man defence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't agree more. With Lampard being a midfielder, I suspect, like Howey, he looks at the game from a midfield point of view - the engine room to quote a phrase, but true. I think in his head, solve that and the other bits can then be addressed. Having said that, we need to get stuck into our defence in training and cajole, shout and scream at them, boring routine, after routine defending. I watched Cole in the derby warm up at their place, and he was just constantly moving them backwards and forwards as a unit, pointing and talking to them. I'd hope that this goes on in training days in, days out working on flaws, that way those not doing the business can be dropped to the bench. The Onana/Gueye partnership can't happen quick enough for me, get them in before the Villa game.
Absolutely.

A man who played at the side of Makelele knows the full benefit of a holding m/f like that...for those behind him as much as for himself.

Probably irrelevant, but the defenders we have, are not good enough for us to play in a four or a three. Unfortunately previous management regimes have seen fit to invest in players who are simply not good enough.

We need better players to confirm either four or a three… with the right players either system may work…just my thoughts really…. I still think Godfrey could be good for us, unfortunate the injury yesterday.

But generally we have idiots for defenders… Myko is starting to change my mind, still too early to say… but signs look good..
We can put a four man defence out if they have protection in front of them:

Coleman Tarkowski Keane Mykolenko

------------Gueye Onana

-----Gordon....Dele.......McNeil

------------DCL

...works for me.

?

Unbelivable
Pickford needds an outball down field to hit straight away. That's the groove he gets into: saves and quick release. His whole game can be affected if there's no target for his distribution.

I don’t think defence was the issue yesterday

We defended well for the most part and Mykolenko, Patterson and Viangre were effective

If we have a striker on yesterday then I think we snatch a point

Back three seems to be working

We just need to keep defenders healthy

I don’t think defence was the issue yesterday

We defended well for the most part and Mykolenko, Patterson and Viangre were effective

If we have a striker on yesterday then I think we snatch a point

Back three seems to be working

We just need to keep defenders healthy

It broke down. Godfrey gets injured because he's trying to be a RB as well as a RCB and chases down his own back pass to pick up a bad injury. Then the penalty is down to a m/f trying to step across to a spot where the RWB has vacated and Chelsea are in.

If you think that wasn't THE issue then I dont know what...

Yeah I agree a 5 at the back system does not suit us at all in terms of scoring goals

Remember the palace game? We had to change the system to get back into the game and scored 3 goals

Unless we have super creative midfielders and wingers 5 at the back won’t work the majority of the time

This present system of three is not us and it's not that effective, as seldom do we have five at the back when we have to transition when the ball is with the opposition. It's alien to us and it's showing. We're playing it because of personnel, not because it's a tactical strength. Lampard is frustrated we dont have the people here to go with 4 at the back and 3 in midfield and said so recently.

We conceded yesterday because the players we have just cant work the system and we end up with non-defenders bundling over the opposition to hand pens and victories to them.

Sake lad take a day off

We can put a four man defence out if they have protection in front of them:

Coleman Tarkowski Keane Mykolenko

------------Gueye Onana

-----Gordon....Dele.......McNeil

------------DCL

...works for me.
That just doesn't look like a good team to me if I'm being totally honest.

It may be unpopular with some blues, but I do think for now that we should really be playing with a back 5 utilising the wing backs.

51UK6vWmxBL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

We wont be going to a back 4.

Also, people keep saying Coady cant play in a 2, thats not true, hes lost his place due to Wolves switching to a back 4 yes, but thats not cos he cant play in it, its simply that the manager has picked 2 people ahead of him.

I doubt Coady and Tarks would struggle in a back 4.

Personal opinion is that he will swap it about depending on the opponent.
Thought we looked comfortable yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.