Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree that Coady does limit your formation options but I think the stability the club and team has lacked for years really calls out for a) picking a manager and sticking with him (hopefully we are there) and b) have him pick a formation and stick with it- train for it every day, recruit for it. If he’s committing to 343 or something related then Coady makes sense.

I don’t think you see many successful sides chop and change formation much from week to week, certainly not drastic changes like 343 to 433. You can tweak the formation, maybe 343 to more of a 352 against midfield dominating teams but fully changing the system with one or two injuries or a couple of bad results has never helped us.
But he's not committed to a back 3. He's repeatedly said his ideal world involves 4 at the back

Joking aside I could see either Keane or Holgate going mate if we brought in Coadey I'd sell both.
Holgate definitely, he’s absolutely awful. Keane is good when we defend deep and actually has a decent range of passing (ok, he makes a pass on occasion) and was important in the last few games of the season. I’m probably just looking for some redeeming qualities when I guess the harsh reality is that most of our squad just isn’t good enough.

Holgate and Keane should both go but I'd get rid of Holgate now while he's still young and can get a bit of money for him. Like Davies he's shown flashes of ability but nowhere near enough to show they can cut it at this level consistently.

Is the plan to bore opposition teams to depth, 3 at the back and 2 def mid. Where is the creative mid and the scorer? Not sure of the strategy here

I think he plans to play a hybrid of Klopp and other style football. I know they have Thiago but Fabinho and Henderson aren't creative types, they rely on the fullbacks and wide forwards to create. I think he plans on Myko/Pats/McNeil/Gordon to be our creators and stuff the midfield with hard working box-to-box players that can compensate for them defensively and in other areas of the pitch.

But he's not committed to a back 3. He's repeatedly said his ideal world involves 4 at the back
Yeah. I’m not saying he has committed to a system, but I’m of the opinion he should, for the season at least. If he’s bringing in Coady to play back three, but wants to play a back four some of the time, it’s wasteful recruitment. We need to focus.

There are no rules once you reach a certain level. Them, City, PSG, Barcelona just do what they want. The thing that annoys me in particular with Chelsea is that, while I’m not saying they should’ve been out of business or anything, there have been no repercussions for the Abramovich situation, indeed it’s ended up brilliantly for them with the new guy splashing the cash even more readily.

For a bit they were a fully Russian entity under sanctions, their assets (including the players) were Russian assets, and the government were openly saying their money, and the money they spent to get where they are now, was corrupt money. Shouldn’t that have had some repercussions? Maybe forced to forfeit some assets? Nope, onto the next owner, debts wiped, spend spend spend again.

Reminds me of another club that were bought by Hicks & Gillette and exactly the same, repercussions ? What repercussions. Sky 6 darlings.

I think he plans to play a hybrid of Klopp and other style football. I know they have Thiago but Fabinho and Henderson aren't creative types, they rely on the fullbacks and wide forwards to create. I think he plans on Myko/Pats/McNeil/Gordon to be our creators and stuff the midfield with hard working box-to-box players that can compensate for them defensively and in other areas of the pitch.
Yeah, I do think the 343 / 3421 we’ve been playing can actually be a pretty attacking formation, even with 3 at the back and two midfielders who aren’t especially creative. Your wing backs should (or at least can) be primarily offensive, and that gives you 5 attacking players, with the 2 other attackers tucking in to support the striker as well as a box to box midfielder arriving. There are plenty of formations that don’t offer that much attacking support.

There are no rules once you reach a certain level. Them, City, PSG, Barcelona just do what they want. The thing that annoys me in particular with Chelsea is that, while I’m not saying they should’ve been out of business or anything, there have been no repercussions for the Abramovich situation, indeed it’s ended up brilliantly for them with the new guy splashing the cash even more readily.

For a bit they were a fully Russian entity under sanctions, their assets (including the players) were Russian assets, and the government were openly saying their money, and the money they spent to get where they are now, was corrupt money. Shouldn’t that have had some repercussions? Maybe forced to forfeit some assets? Nope, onto the next owner, debts wiped, spend spend spend again.
In the same way we could have been subject to the same treatment, so in this instance I’m glad there were no sanctions.

I do agree that the latitude extended to those clubs that were instrumental in the super league fiasco is so overt that it’s nauseating.

Status
Not open for further replies.