• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 year deal with an option for another would be the best move I think. I don’t think his age will have a whole pile to do with it given his fitness, we need to get past this blanket idea that once a player hits 30 their legs are gone, it’s different in this day and age. Players over 30 are regularly going for big fees now and playing at a high level at 35 or more.

Fernandinho played in City’s side until he was 37, Gareth Barry did the same with us. Don’t think there’s any reason a 35 year old Gana couldn’t at least be a squad player for us honestly.

2 year deal with an option for another would be the best move I think. I don’t think his age will have a whole pile to do with it given his fitness, we need to get past this blanket idea that once a player hits 30 their legs are gone, it’s different in this day and age. Players over 30 are regularly going for big fees now and playing at a high level at 35 or more.

Fernandinho played in City’s side until he was 37, Gareth Barry did the same with us. Don’t think there’s any reason a 35 year old Gana couldn’t at least be a squad player for us honestly.
if you're over 28, don't run 100m below 10s and you are under 6ft ... you are without doubt a bad signing, just read the transfer forum on here for a minute.

I hate to say it too, but look at Milner over at the RS. He'll be thirty-seven this year and while he doesn't start that often, he still plays a lot of games.

Gana isn't the perfect choice and it's fair for people to have concerns, however considering the situation and how he's performed at PSG it seems a decent deal.

Are we going to get someone else in who'll do this vital job for a decent fee? Unlikely. Time will tell of course if it was a good option, but I am quietly confident.

Definitely improves the team, but in two years him, Allan and Doucoure are all gone/out of contract. That's yet another overhaul in the midfield that we mightn't be able to afford.
Hopefully by then Warrington & Onyango might be ready. Or we can just see if Wolves or Burnley have any more players for us

This will definitely get me excited for this season if we can pull it off. 2 year perma deal with a not too extortionate salary and he doesn't seem to want to go anywhere except back to us according to various report. Would be excellent business, we have had nobody be able to do what he did since we let him go. His impact would be instantaneous even if he is only 75% of the player he was when we let him go. Just need to coach and care for him properly given his age etc.

Make it happen blues. One of the most important signings for us now after the other signings we have done imo.

I hate to say it too, but look at Milner over at the RS. He'll be thirty-seven this year and while he doesn't start that often, he still plays a lot of games.

Gana isn't the perfect choice and it's fair for people to have concerns, however considering the situation and how he's performed at PSG it seems a decent deal.

Are we going to get someone else in who'll do this vital job for a decent fee? Unlikely. Time will tell of course if it was a good option, but I am quietly confident.
Yeah it’s all about the way they’re managed, do I expect 33 year old Gana to play every minute for us, no. However we also shouldn’t have been in a position before that 28 year old Gana had to play every minute if you get me.

These older more experienced players are invaluable to a squad, like Coleman now, the issue is when the recruitment is so poor that it forces them to play more than should be expected at this point in their careers. Getting Gana and hopefully someone like Gilmour gives basically 2 years of learning for Gilmour to naturally phase out Gana rather than us needing to panic buy to replace him once he’s 6 months past his best.

I know it always doesn’t work out like this as well but if there’s anyone around that can fix our midfield issues and train them properly it’d make sense that our manager, one of the best midfielders the league has seen could do it. (Another player who played at the top level until 37, for example)

I've expressed my concerns about this and I hope the club are doing all due diligence to prevent future embarrassment. Most importantly, as with any signing but maybe more so with this one, Lampard needs to sign off on it, it can't just be a board signing. It's Lampard that has to sit there and field questions at press conferences, as he will, about whether he's signed a homophobe.

That said, he hasn't said anything publicly and what we think happened might not be what actually happened. It's a perfectly plausible explanation that PSG, being owned by a Muslim country came under pressure themselves not to "force" a Muslim player to wear a rainbow number and withdrew him themselves to avoid controversy for their owners.

Whatever happened needn't stop him playing for the club but the club should be absolutely sure of what did happen (and what will happen if we participate in similar gestures) rather than hoping it doesn't get brought up, but we know for sure the press absolutely will.

if you're over 28, don't run 100m below 10s and you are under 6ft ... you are without doubt a bad signing, just read the transfer forum on here for a minute.
So a young Messi, Maradonna or the like would have been a bad signing following your parameters.

Having either at 28 too.

I thought we weren’t allowed to loan a player in the final year of his contract anymore, hence the permanent transfer?

Its probably unrealistic but I'd bring in gana to replace doucoure and still try to recruit a deep sitting passing defensive Midfielder in the mold of Gareth Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.