• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are certain that this is the reason?

The reason I ask is that the President of Senegal said that Gueye's "religious beliefs must be respected"

I'm almost certain that homosexuality is a criminal offence in Senegal.

so it'd be like Bellingham wearing a ';beastiality is great' or 'nonces have feelings' shirt in Germany then thinking it'll be a-ok coming home.

Also.... he might just not accept it on a personal level.

From wiki: Senegal specifically outlaws same-sex sexual acts and, in the past, has prosecuted men accused of homosexuality. LGBT persons face routine discrimination in society.

I'm almost certain that homosexuality is a criminal offence in Senegal.

so it'd be like Bellingham wearing a ';beastiality is great' or 'nonces have feelings' shirt in Germany then thinking it'll be a-ok coming home.

Also.... he might just not accept it on a personal level.
It is a criminal offence, but that wasn't what it was suggested by the Senegalese President to be the issue

Let's say there's a similar day this season in England where we support LGBTQ rights...

Firstly I'd find it abhorrent that one of our players would refuse to wear something on their shirt etc

Secondly we do not need the fallout from it

Swerve him

Can’t be certain about Mane. It’s really frustrating to be talking about these topics in the year 2022. I do believe now please let me know if I’m wrong. But aren’t certain countries in Africa really against being gay. To a point where it’s against the law?. I respect all religions and cultures even if I don’t agree with them. Now what gana did I’m okay with even if I don’t agree with it. That’s his Belief and refused to wear the rainbow shirt or laces. As I said shame we talk about this still.

It's a pretty global issue rather than a uniquely African one.

And personally I don't respect elements of many cultures all around the world. There are many absolutely vile cultural practices reinforced by psychopaths, bigots and morons. Whether it's filling a house with semi-automatic rifles, female circumcision, criminalising homosexuality or categorising caring for the most vulnerable in society as a low pay, low skill industry for capitalistic exploitation.

Gana - Taking all the moralistic high grounding to one side (guilty here lol ) I'd like to think over the last 5 years or however long it's been since he left that one scout somewhere has found an energetic tackling midfielder the right side of 30.

Whatever happened to individuals being allowed an opinion in this world. We continously bang on about how much we hate the RS. Isn't that a form of bigotry. We can't all agree on exactly the same issues. If he's good enough as a footballer that will do for me if not then, no. Simple.
No it's not. It's an expression of self awareness and a public service to highlight their cultist slimeball ways.

It is a criminal offence, but that wasn't what it was suggested by the Senegalese President to be the issue

Let's say there's a similar day this season in England where we support LGBTQ rights...

Firstly I'd find it abhorrent that one of our players would refuse to wear something on their shirt etc

Swerve him
One year loan he's gone before next year's Pride Week,job done.

Swerve him

I wonder if Salah or any of the muslim players would refuse to wear it on account of their religion (because at a bias guess religion is the root of the issue here I think).

There are a lot of hardcore Jeezy Chreezy peeps who are not exactly pro LGBTQ++ too.

So it comes down to enforcing a set of beliefs on people, does an individual have the right to not believe in something? 1930's Germany people got put in prison for not wearing the swastika (I'm not comparing Naziism to LGBTQ++ btw)... so it's more than LGBTQ++ here, it's an individuals right to self determination of their beliefs vs society, and where you draw the line.

As I say, it's a more complex issue.

example - Can society force you to wear a RS shirt because everyone else supports them? is it fair to force you to wear that shirt & ostracise you if you don't??

Last edited:
Weird take. Has any African player in the premier league refused to wear rainbow laces for example? Even if they have, it’s never been publicised whereas with Gueye the facts are all there.

Are you saying people should be fine with a a known homophobe who hides behind idiotic religious beliefs as a justification for his discriminatory, totally incorrect views?
Your last sentence is entirely your opinion. They are opposed to the beliefs Ganna holds, ergo, you are both correct with your own opinions.

The nasty attack though stating that he is a known homophobe. Really? They are regarding his, sic, 'idiotic' (???) religious beliefs. Hmmm. Your conclusion that his views are discriminatory and totally incorrect actually come across with bile and with much bigotry. Why? because they differ from yours?

I was brought up not caring about the colour, or gender, or religious beliefs, or nationality, or sexual preferences, or political viewpoint, or even which football team they supported, providing they were a good person. Blimey, there are a number of Evertonians I would not break bread with because of their obvious bias regarding various subjects.

So, we all have opinions. You have yours and he has his, it's just I think your venomous attack is uncalled for.

Do you agree that players should have the option to pick and choose which matches they make themselves available for based on their views? There are views and then there are direct actions took as a result of those views.
I'm a Union man. If they choose not to thats fine, but their pay should be docked. Simple really. You can't exactly force them to play because they won't try. Then what do you do, sack a £20 million asset for not fulfilling their duty?

It's a pretty global issue rather than a uniquely African one.

And personally I don't respect elements of many cultures all around the world. There are many absolutely vile cultural practices reinforced by psychopaths, bigots and morons. Whether it's filling a house with semi-automatic rifles, female circumcision, criminalising homosexuality or categorising caring for the most vulnerable in society as a low pay, low skill industry for capitalistic exploitation.

Gana - Taking all the moralistic high grounding to one side (guilty here lol ) I'd like to think over the last 5 years or however long it's been since he left that one scout somewhere has found an energetic tackling midfielder the right side of 30.
Agree with all your points. And finally I agree that there are plenty of players we can get on the right side of 30.

Thread has become far too politicised.

Like others have said, he improves our squad, even at 32/33. Take him on a loan at low risk, with option to buy and could see it working out similar to Barry deal.

Plus people seem to forget that he can't pass or keep hold of possession.
Always available for a pass and plays a simple ball to a blue shirt more often than not. We have missed that for ages.

He doesn't do defence splitting passes very often but that would mean he has to do everything which isn't healthy for a team.

I would prefer us to be buying the next Gueye though rather than the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.