Confirmed Signing Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s talented
He can pass, keep the ball.
Concern for me, if we want to play a pressing style, he doesn’t strike me as effective in that sense.
It’s tough to discern because he played in such a rigid defensive system, but overall his defensive stats are good. Not too sure on pressing. I’d like to see him played at RW and maybe take corners if he’s any good at it. Having a left footed James playing on the right opened up some things for us so that position could be a good fit.

As a squad player and for the price that's fine but not if he is coming in to replace Richarlison.

One thing @Eggs has written that has stuck with me and doesnt get spoken of or perhaps thought of as much as it should do is...

"Partnerships"

I felt that Gordon ahead of Mykolenko looked very promising. But Gordon kept being moved to the right so Gray etc could be used on the left.

We may see that this season with McNeil on the right cutting inside and Patterson down the line...his workrate could also benefit the youngster.

We of course wont know until we see him but aside from top end pace and being one footed...theres a lot to like.

As I wrote in the last post, if we had Myko/Gordon + Patterson/McNeil thats a lot of potential out wide.

If Dele and DCL are in and around the box then it may be quite eye opening.

The Broja links could also add firepower with those wide deliveries too.

I don't think he is that slow at all.

Not rapid like Gordon but with enough pace and good football ability.

McNeil seems to have the next move in his head already which is what gives him an extra 5 yards...

He seems to go past players or play around them with ease when he wants to and then tries to put people in.

Beyond that initial spark he'll get caught as he doesnt seem to have that top speed the likes of Gordon do.

For Burnley he seemed to switch play well also so we could see Gordon isolate full backs and a cross field McNeil pass put him in.

I'm excited.

His defensive stats are very good tbf, see no reason why he couldn’t do it. Won’t have done it at Burnley due to the way they set up.

Honestly see him doing well playing furthest forward in a midfield 3 the way Iwobi did back end of last season. His close control, strength and ability on the ball look made for it.
Yeah maybe, many didn’t know Tarkowski was good on the ball because of the Burnley style

He's basically a poor man's James Milner. I have no issue buying players from relegated clubs if they are actually quality and improve upon the squad. Anyone who understands football would have appreciated Tarkowski as a fantastic piece of business. Free transfer for a very good premier league centre half. There are so many better options than McNeil. Hopefully it doesn't happen.
Name 5 of those so many better options that are willing to come to us?

Decent player who is still young, can spot a pass and holds the ball well, and is arguably their best player. Am I chuffed? Nah. Is it alright? Yeah.

If we get Gueye on loan we then need a very decent striker. I think that might be it after that transfer wise:

Tarky
Vinagre
McNeil
Gueye
Striker

Might actually just do us.
Sooner throw the money at a central midfielder who isn't terrified of the ball Dave. Gueye on loan, does not solve any of those centre midfield problems, he is a water carrier. I also wonder if he still has the legs to playing the premier league. Given his all action style. He's 33
now, I think

and he was never a player who use his football brain and let the ball do the work.

One thing @Eggs has written that has stuck with me and doesnt get spoken of or perhaps thought of as much as it should do is...

"Partnerships"

I felt that Gordon ahead of Mykolenko looked very promising. But Gordon kept being moved to the right so Gray etc could be used on the left.

We may see that this season with McNeil on the right cutting inside and Patterson down the line...his workrate could also benefit the youngster.

We of course wont know until we see him but aside from top end pace and being one footed...theres a lot to like.

As I wrote in the last post, if we had Myko/Gordon + Patterson/McNeil thats a lot of potential out wide.

If Dele and DCL are in and around the box then it may be quite eye opening.

The Broja links could also add firepower with those wide deliveries too.

McNeil seems to have the next move in his head already which is what gives him an extra 5 yards...

He seems to go past players or play around them with ease when he wants to and then tries to put people in.

Beyond that initial spark he'll get caught as he doesnt seem to have that top speed the likes of Gordon do.

For Burnley he seemed to switch play well also so we could see Gordon isolate full backs and a cross field McNeil pass put him in.

I'm excited.
I don't know why we would have a player who's main strength is apparently crossing have to play on the side where he has to cut in.

Makes very little sense that.

Correct.

Up until 2009 when the roof fell in he actually had a decent net spend. Not great, but certainly not searching down thr back of ther couch.
Yes signed the Yak & the forgettable Big tit Beattie mega funds - 6 million for Beattie when Dean Aston was in his pomp at Crewe ....... For 1 million......

Reminds me heavily of the Bolasie signing. An occasional good game but generally a relegation standard player with awful outputs.

Great scouting.

I don't know why we would have a player who's main strength is apparently crossing have to play on the side where he has to cut in.

He can still put crosses in from the right turning back onto his left foot.

Plus and Gordon can also swap sides during the games and pose different threats.

Also, Lampard seems to be good with young players...hes only 22.

I dont see much downside other than him perhaps being upgraded in a season or two. Even then hed be a good player to have off the bench for a top 6 side.

I just mentioned in another post, but it all depends on playing style. James cutting in on left foot and making crosses from the right side was super effective for us and he opened up some attacking positions that we usually don’t get into. Of course that could have more due to James’s vision, but it can work.

Reminds me heavily of the Bolasie signing. An occasional good game but generally a relegation standard player with awful outputs.

Great scouting.

Big difference.

Bolasie ran with his head down and crossed without looking...or beat a player then turned back to do it again then lost it or kicked it out.

McNeil dribbles with his head up and places and varies his crosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.