Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hot take...

The priority this season isn't getting all kinds of new signings in - it's keeping the current squad of players fit & playing for most of the season.

This comes down to coaching & conditioning, more than anything. Far too often last season key players were in and out of the XI and you're always gonna run into trouble when that happens. Even the top sides would struggle without any sort of consistency in the personnel from week to week. The reds suffered from it the season before last.

As you say - if the likes of Pickford, DCL, Gordon, Dele, Gray, Mina (a bit of a stretch with him, but still), Doucs, Godfrey, Mykolenko et al can give us upwards of 35 sets of 90 minutes over the season then we'll already be better off.

Add Patterson & Tarkowski into the mix as well.
If that's true then we will really struggle.

There are very few goals in our squad as it currently stands. After DCL, we are going to be relying on Gray, Dele, Gordon, Townsend, Iwobi for goals. Recent history, and indeed for many of them their entire history, tells us that we won't be getting many. We don't have an adequate set piece taker and we don't have any creative midfield players.

We also leave our defence very exposed and have not been linked with any defensive midfield players and we don't have any in our squad.

Without additions we will be in another relegation battle.

Teams just absolutely taking the piss as soon as they hear of any Everton interest. We need to seriously start looking outside of the Premier League and we need to start soon.
I agree that clubs seem to overprice when we are involved but it's weird that they're still doing it as it is very common knowledge that we are potless.

Can’t see us doing much business until very late in the window due to our financial situation, and probably having to rely on a few loans to fill gaps.

With the season starting earlier this year, it could be a rough start to the campaign…

What are people's preferences regarding width should the speculation that Lampard wants to play three at the back come to fruition? I must say I am extremely uncomfortable with that formation for our current players but if that's the way we go then it is interesting to think of possible solutions.

I hold our current squad in very little regard, but I think perhaps one of the best, and as of yet unexplored, avenues is to partner DCL and Alli upfront together. Whilst Richy will be a huge loss, it's certainly not an exaggeration to say that he and DCL had miserable chemistry when they played upfront together and it is possible that Alli could prove to be a hugely instrumental figure just off the main striker. However, we would have to try and get a formation that resembled a 3-5-2 working, which removes the need for wingers and with that two of our more threatening players in Gordon and Gray.

The alternative is we go 3-4-3 but I like this formation far less as it has a real tendency to turn into a 5-2-2-1 as you get outnumbered in the centre of midfield and your wing backs have little alternative but to drop back. This formation would leave absolutely no place for Alli at all although it would allow us to use Gordon more naturally.

I think the difficulty in thinking of a line up that suits the few talented players we have says it all about our preposterous recruitment in recent years. Lampard really has a job on his hands trying to mould a team together in his image with this current crop of players, especially if he isn't able to do much in the market.

We'll play a variant of 4-3-3

How's Mina ageing? He's 27
I think the injury prone bit of “ageing and injury prone” applies to him don’t you? As someone else said his body is more like an 87 year old. The key fact is his availability is sporadic and his value significantly reduced given his record so he is a huge wage millstone for not very much return.

Status
Not open for further replies.