Old Everton Pictures

A couple more random photos obtained on my trip yesterday

P1010107 Fulham (A) 1962.JPG
P1010108 17.10.70 A near miss during a 0-4 defeat at Arsenal.JPG

There would have been a cup win for us that year if we had scored that pen - @TangerineToffee lol - no white shorts Mathews getting the glory he lived on for years lol -

View attachment 172261
Ha ha taking on a load of Second division bums in the Final would have been fun for Sir Stan and Morty. Clean shorts for Stan a given seeing as no one would get near him as he waved them goodbye leaving blue shirts in a dazzled heap on the ground. Morty would have got a double hat trick. You have a lot to be thankful for to Bolton Wanderers for that embarrassing semi final defeat :D

Match report from this game. Well we might not quite have been the team of 1978 (Forest were unbeatable) but the reporter was correct about what Everton would do in the games coming up against West Brom and QPR winning 3-1 and then 5-1 respectively! Also Duncan McKenzie being quite dismissive of the teams that we'd played up to that point - including Forest who'd beaten us on the opening day of the season.

ALAN THOMPSON WRITING IN THE DAILY EXPRESS 3RD OCTOBER 1977
Manchester City might be top of the heap this morning, but the team of 1978 will be Everton.
Whether that forecast becomes fact at the end of this season or midway through next is entirely up to them. But by the time they have beaten West Brom and QPR this week, everyone will sit up and take notice of a side that has come on beyond recognition.
There were times in the 1-1 draw on Saturday when they threatened to wipe the floor with City.
Times like that brilliant move 10 minutes from the end. Faster than you can read this, the ball went crossfield via Bob Latchford, Duncan McKenzie, Martin Dobson, Andy King and Bruce Rioch, and while City were tackling shadows McKenzie and Latchford galloped into the goalmouth. Then both of them missed the centre and with it an open goal!
“Even you could have scored from that position,” snorted McKenzie. Modestly I have to agree.
So what have Everton got to make me discover them after all this time? In two words, class and crash.
McKenzie, Dobson, King and Rioch have attacking ability to drive defences dizzy and at the back men like Terry Darracott, Mike Pejic and Mark Higgins might not be over-blessed with skill but will stop at nothing to rob the opposition.
McKenzie disdainfully dismisses one third of the First Division, saying: “We had played nothing until today, City were the first good side we’ve come across and we were their equals, at least West Brom in midweek will give us a better idea of how good we are,”
I don’t think Everton have much to worry about. But Manchester City have.
They did score when McKenzie, indulging in a piece of unnecessary flashiness, lost the ball and Dennis Tueart put Asa Hartfordbthrough for a 20 yard shot.
Everton equalised when Latchford went low to head Dave Thomas’s corner.

everton away 1977 to 78 action

Yes that 77/78 team was certainly exciting to watch and chased Forest all the way, until a late season fade-out, when it was clear we couldn't catch them, allowed you know who to nick 2nd place off us. We were top scorers that season. As for Forest, they were newly promoted and everyone expected their bubble to burst, but it never did. Just out luck to come up against the genius of Clough and Taylor!

Yes that 77/78 team was certainly exciting to watch and chased Forest all the way, until a late season fade-out, when it was clear we couldn't catch them, allowed you know who to nick 2nd place off us. We were top scorers that season. As for Forest, they were newly promoted and everyone expected their bubble to burst, but it never did. Just out luck to come up against the genius of Clough and Taylor!
That team under Gordon Lee deserved more than anything , -Bingham took that team on added & still failed - the football was exciting too .....

504 04.09.54 Parker v Burnley (A) Burnley keeper, Colin McDonald gets his hands to a shot from outside the penalty area from John Willie Parker which gives the Blues a 34th minute lead

505 04.09.54 Eglington v Burnley (A) A cross shot from Tommy Eglington completely deceives Burnley keeper Colin McDonald and seals a 2-0 victory

504 04.09.54 Parker v Burnley (A) Burnley keeper,Colin McDonald gets his hands to a shot from ...JPG
505 04.09.54 Eglington v Burnley (A) A cross shot from Tommy Eglington completely deceives Bur...JPG

It was my second season of going to the match so everything was still quite new and exciting for this young Blue and there's games from that season that I remember more clearly than I do from last season! I loved Duncan McKenzie,but reading the match report,it seems his flashiness cost us a goal,I'm guessing incidents like that meant that Gordon Lee didn't quite share the same enthusiasm that the fans had for Duncan!

Everton 2 Leicester City 0 in Oct 1966 at Goodison Park. Derek Temple slots the ball past Gordon Banks to make it 2-0 - he looked good in one on ones - his winner in the Cup final proved that -

View attachment 172284
Goodison Rd terracing in all of its glory right there.
The wooden steps under the main stand created a great atmosphere.
Gordon Banks, what a great keeper.