Expectations placed on young(er) players - did Rooney make it hard for subsequent talent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

…really don’t get all this ‘expectation’ stuff. The fact that Rooney was an exceptional talent does not detract from the vast majority of those that followed not being good enough.

You have to be very, very good to break into the the first team. If a youngster reaches that standard he’ll have an opportunity.

The problem is we have never had decent enough senior players to carry/help youngsters, so when they're in the team they're expected to perform because of the gash they normally have around them. Gordon a prime example from last season.

I believe that's why we overhype our youngsters when they break through.
bit of a strange one this but after Barkley had gone to Chelsea he said that he wasnt coached while at Everton, so thats not down to the players

Reactions: JLW
bit of a strange one this but after Barkley had gone to Chelsea he said that he wasnt coached while at Everton, so thats not down to the players

….Moyes said Barkley was unreliable and unable to have responsibility. It’s why he wasn’t always selected when on loan in the Championship. Martinez openly gave him no responsibility when the opposition had possession, so it’s hardly surprising Chelsea tried to coach him before also losing faith.

…really don’t get all this ‘expectation’ stuff. The fact that Rooney was an exceptional talent does not detract from the vast majority of those that followed not being good enough.

You have to be very, very good to break into the the first team. If a youngster reaches that standard he’ll have an opportunity.
You're not wrong about many not being good enough, but you've seen it on here with DCL - there's a player in there but there's a lack of patience or even expectation he'd develop. Stones used to get flak as well, arguably he has kicked on with experience.

So yeah, just a random thought on my part really. I.e. Did Rooney set the bar too high perhaps. Probably wrong, just thought I'd see what folk thought.

You're not wrong about many not being good enough, but you've seen it on here with DCL - there's a player in there but there's a lack of patience or even expectation he'd develop. Stones used to get flak as well, arguably he has kicked on with experience.

So yeah, just a random thought on my part really. I.e. Did Rooney set the bar too high perhaps. Probably wrong, just thought I'd see what folk thought.

….DCL & Stones are full English internationals, nothing could stop them becoming first choice. Neither were Academy players, both were bought in.

Fans will always have different opinion but both those had time to develop by the club. Rooney’s impact was instant but he was unique, fans aren’t daft, they know that. They are generally very supportive of Gordon.

Status
Not open for further replies.