New Shirt Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not asking for an audit of my morality from you, thank you.

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, I'm not anti-nuclear power or anti-capitalism - or plenty of other things that many find morally reprehensible.

But I respect the views of people that are.

People care about gambling's impact on society. People have lost loved ones to gambling.

You don't have to agree, but you ought to respect other people's right to oppose Everton having a gambling sponsor.
I think people having their own opinions on it is fine, if you say 'I'd rather we didn't have...' that's perfectly understandable. When people start saying we shouldn't have it or questioning the morality of it though, it's fair to point out that other people would see companies from other sectors as being a moral issue too, so it's maybe not as easy as they're making out.

I'm not asking for an audit of my morality from you, thank you.

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, I'm not anti-nuclear power or anti-capitalism - or plenty of other things that many find morally reprehensible.

But I respect the views of people that are.

People care about gambling's impact on society. People have lost loved ones to gambling.

You don't have to agree, but you ought to respect other people's right to oppose Everton having a gambling sponsor.

It was just a tongue in cheek comment :p

Okay, she said 'ideally' we would move away from betting/gambling sponsorships.

But, bear in mind that was over two years ago !!!
And if we go with another betting/gambling company for next season - it suggests to me that as CEO overseeing all commercial activities, she and the Commercial Dept are incapable of 'selling' the club to other than betting/gambling outfits.

She and the CD have had plenty of time to scour the globe for new sponsors and if they are falling back on an industry that EitC - her former domain - works incredibly hard to help people wean themselves away from, then again, it suggests a serious shortfall in her and the staff who report to her to actually do their jobs competently.

Or it means that this company has offered a significant amount which makes it impossible to reject.

What are they wearing? Hopefully its not made in China :eek:

I think people having their own opinions on it is fine, if you say 'I'd rather we didn't have...' that's perfectly understandable. When people start saying we shouldn't have it or questioning the morality of it though, it's fair to point out that other people would see companies from other sectors as being a moral issue too, so it's maybe not as easy as they're making out.
Morality is hazy and complex. None of us consciously choose our morals.

To ask why someone would be opposed to a betting company - which is what I object to - is bone-headed. It's obvious why someone might be opposed to it.

Equally, it's obvious why somebody wouldn't be. Because they pay more.

Lads at The Athletic said yesterday that it would be a record deal for us, but gave no more info

That was the rumour 2-3 weeks ago as well.

If it is a decent sized crypto firm then they should have the means to not only pay...but include the club in massive levels of marketing promotion.

I'm nit carried away. Football, which used to be a passion of mine, is on a tightrope with me right now. Quite happy to walk away from it if it continues to wallow in filth like this.

You definitely are getting carried away. You would rather your club get relegated than have a gambling sponsor? Really?

There has been dodgy money in football since the Dawn of time, it is just on another level now than it ever has been but the scale of the money doesn’t impact its source

Morality is hazy and complex. None of us consciously choose our morals.

To ask why someone would be opposed to a betting company - which is what I object to - is bone-headed. It's obvious why someone might be opposed to it.

Equally, it's obvious why somebody wouldn't be. Because they pay more.
You can choose your morals though. Not many people will have been born with an inherent distaste for gambling, they'll have decided at some point in life that they don't like it, that's a conscious decision. Same with becoming vegan/teetotal etc. As I said, I have no issue with people not wanting a gambling sponsor, but I do have an issue with people who get on their high horse about it and advocate other forms of sponsorship which are every bit as morally dubious to other people.

You can choose your morals though. Not many people will have been born with an inherent distaste for gambling, they'll have decided at some point in life that they don't like it, that's a conscious decision. Same with becoming vegan/teetotal etc. As I said, I have no issue with people not wanting a gambling sponsor, but I do have an issue with people who get on their high horse about it and advocate other forms of sponsorship which are every bit as morally dubious to other people.

Who is doing that?

Status
Not open for further replies.