Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think we played that game intelligently today. Against United and Chelsea we played with intensity and intelligence. Today we let the clamour to get this nightmare over with get the better of us and it cost us.
There was nothing wrong with how we were playing at 1 nil. I thought it was a matter of time until we got the second goal. And we would have had a brilliant opportunity if the officials did their job properly.

We just couldn't get any control in the second half. We tried to be defensive but we had no shape, players out of position, and no one could get to close to Eriksen. The red card changed the game and we weren't good enough from that point.

This team deserves what's coming to them. The defending for all three goals today was comical. Coleman wasn't unlucky. He was miles off his man. No wonder Pickford went nuts. Richarlison and Gordon were asleep for two crosses that led to the other goals. Branthwaite was as naive as he is young for the sending off.

Today was a shellshocker. I am now more relaxed about things. I have accepted that we will not earn another point this season. Whether we stay up is in the lap of the gods, but we were set a target of four points from six at home and we have failed to achieve that already. We are incapable of saving ourselves. If we go down, it will be richly deserved. If we stay up, it will almost certainly be by default, and not because we managed one final heroic performance. At this point, I think I am more angry than sad, but it's pointless - a bit like us over these last three games, I suspect.

Imagine you're a Leeds fan now. You have a tough away game you need to win against a team in form and playing to get top half.

Imagine you're a Burnley fan needing to go to Villa and beat the team that turned you over at home 3-1 last week or you need all 3 points against Newcastle to stand a chance.

They must look at us and think that without even winning another point we can stay up and are more than likely uncatchable.

Last edited:
I dont think we played that game intelligently today. Against United and Chelsea we played with intensity and intelligence. Today we let the clamour to get this nightmare over with get the better of us and it cost us.

I agree with that, but that's been our season full stop, absolute shambles. Nothing summed it up more than Rondon's cameo and then getting a High Five on the way off! You'd laugh if it wasn't so sad.

They are. But they very likely wont.

A point against Palace is about all we can hope for with the injuries. But if we get it it could place a lot of pressure on Burnley too.

3 points lead on Burnley and a 2 point lead on Leeds is nothing to be sniffed at with one game to go.

It's huge to be out of the relegation spots in the final week.

The anxiety of going into Sunday hoping that Burnley and Leeds don't win is too much. This should have been put to bed this week and the pressure is going to build on the players.

Imagine you're a Leeds fan now. You have a tough away game you need to win against a team in form and playing to get top half.

Imagine you're a Burnley fan needing to go to Villa and beat the team that turned you over at home 3-1 last week or you need all 3 points against Newcastle to stand a chance.

They must look at us and think that without even winning another point we can stay up and re more than likely uncatchable.
I'd say they are looking at us and seeing a team that has every chance of standing on another two rakes before the week is out.

They must look at us and think that without even winning another point we can stay up and re more than likely uncatchable.

When a team is fighting it's a whole different scenario. We've seen teams pull off the unthinkable on the last day over the years

This team deserves what's coming to them. The defending for all three goals today was comical. Coleman wasn't unlucky. He was miles off his man. No wonder Pickford went nuts. Richarlison and Gordon were asleep for two crosses that led to the other goals. Branthwaite was as naive as he is young for the sending off.

Today was a shellshocker. I am now more relaxed about things. I have accepted that we will not earn another point this season. Whether we stay up is in the lap of the gods, but we were set a target of four points from six at home and we have failed to achieve that already. We are incapable of saving ourselves. If we go down, it will be richly deserved. If we stay up, it will almost certainly be by default, and not because we managed one final heroic performance. At this point, I think I am more angry than sad, but it's pointless - a bit like us over these last three games, I suspect.
The 7 points against Chelsea, Leicester and Watford have given us a shot at staying in the PL. That's the way to look at this now. I think we're done. That's our tally: 36. But we have a good chance if Burnley lose against Villa. I dont see both them and Leeds winning final day.

Yes, Palace will hand us nothing. But the Villa / Burnley game will be huge for us IMO.

When a team is fighting it's a whole different scenario. We've seen teams pull off the unthinkable on the last day over the years
And let's be honest, the unthinkable is no stranger to us.

Everton 0-0 Crystal Palace
Aston Villa 2-0 Burnley

Brentford 1-2 Leeds United
Burnley 1-0 Newcastle United
Arsenal 2-0 Everton

Leeds 38
Burnley 37
Everton 37

None of this is even remotely unthinkable. We're in plausible territory here.

The anxiety of going into Sunday hoping that Burnley and Leeds don't win is too much. This should have been put to bed this week and the pressure is going to build on the players.
I know. But the previous 3 games handed us our position as favourites to survive.

It's a poor football team ours. The maximum has been wrung out of it. Now we wait and see if Leeds can get their miracle and Burnley theirs if they need all 3 points.

The 7 points against Chelsea, Leicester and Watford have given us a shot at staying in the PL. That's the way to look at this now. I think we're done. That's our tally: 36. But we have a good chance if Burnley lose against Villa. I dont see both them and Leeds winning final day.

Yes, Palace will hand us nothing. But the Villa / Burnley game will be huge for us IMO.
I don't disagree. It is a good way of looking at it. I think we just all need to find a way to protect ourselves mentally this week. You're right that it would seem a long shot for both of our rivals to win on the last day, but in isolation both have a decent chance to win their game. Unlike us.

Status
Not open for further replies.