2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
No fight in this lad at all. Living on his exaggerated reputation. Should be dropped till shows he cares as much about the club that pays him as the clothes this affords him to buy

I don't think Lampard is asking him to play the way he is currently, dragging DcL off when Gray and Iwobi were more likely candidates was particularly telling (and fitness is certainly no excuse for him anymore). I think Calvert-Lewin sees himself now as a bona-fide star who doesn't need to do the extra graft and there's a bit of a clash of wills at the moment.

It's definitely fitness - he wasn't starting vs C.Palace in the game before West Ham and the manager spoke about his fitness before the game.

Lampard doesn't take him off otherwise - he was thinking of his fitness/Burnley.

Our biggest problem with him though isn't just that he needs chances creating for him, it's that he needs absolute gift-wrapped, on a plate home bankers that makes it almost impossible for his miserable technique to fluff and we're just not a team that is capable of doing that right now.

Our biggest problem is there's no alternative.

We're a better team with him on the pitch.

Calvert-Lewin scored 29 Premier League goals in the last 2 seasons. When he had Digne, Rodriguez and Sigurdsson.

You've created this idea in your own mind about his personality, attitude and ego and it's all made up in your own head. There's absolutely nothing you can point to, or any comment that suggests he's anything other than a top professional.

My opinion is still this;

I actually think it's simple.

He's at his best when he's basically a 'goal-hanger'

Ancelotti knew the score. Told him to stay near the goal. Calvert-Lewin is a very decent poacher. He's not good at bringing others in to play, and he's not going to score outside the box. I think most would agree with that...

The issue we have at the moment is then is....

1. We're so bad, we're not creating anything at all. He used to have a threat coming in from Digne, or even Sigurdsson/Rodriguez. Digne/Sigurdsson/Walcott/Richarlison topped chances created in 2019/20 when he scored 13 league goals. In 2020/21, It was Digne, Rodriguez, Richarlison and Sigurdsson when he scored 16 league goals.

Who is creating chances now in this Everton team? Iwobi is 2nd (joint with Gray) for chances created in the league this season, after Richarlison.

2. His fitness isn't there, and I suspect his form/confidence is really low. Often the two are hand in hand.

With no alternatives - we need to play him into form and fitness. We need to find someway of actually creating something for him. He gets sod all from the full backs. Put him in Aston Villa's team with two full backs who can actually cross a ball, and a playmaker in Coutinho and and you'd see him scoring.

Everton are experts at setting players up to fail.

Calvert-Lewin has made, what? 9 appearances this season. Come on...

It's definitely fitness - he wasn't starting vs C.Palace in the game before West Ham and the manager spoke about his fitness before the game.

Lampard doesn't take him off otherwise - he was thinking of his fitness/Burnley.

Calvert-Lewin scored 29 Premier League goals in the last 2 seasons.

You've created this idea in your own mind about his personality, attitude and ego and it's all made up in your own head. There's absolutely nothing you can point to, or any comment that suggests he's anything other than a top professional.
Agree on him being a really good professional and also someone who’s in touch with his feelings and vulnerabilities, which is something the younger generation are so much better than us. And I like that.

I wouldn't start him versus Burnley play a fluid front three it would give them more issues than playing directly. I'd honestly bring him off the bench and tell him he has to perform if he wants to start. Fella has been injured or doing nothing all season while we plummet if he wants his big move earn it

Wonder if there's a correlation there.

Would we be in as perilous a position in the table if he'd made more than 11 appearances?

I very much doubt it.

Wonder if there's a correlation there.

Would we be in as perilous a position in the table if he'd made more than 11 appearances?

I very much doubt it.
Of course but how long has he been back now? No the team doesn't create much for him but he used to put himself about he used to run in behind he used to make defenders life a misery, now he just stands up there?

Of course but how long has he been back now? No the team doesn't create much for him but he used to put himself about he used to run in behind he used to make defenders life a misery, now he just stands up there?

He's following instruction though isn't he? The same instruction Ancelotti give him.

He, and Ancelotti were very vocal that he best serves the team when he in effect 'goal hangs'. The issue is, we've got nobody who'll create a chance. I'm sure Lampard said similar early days.

We have a striker who is a goal hanger, but we aren't capable of creating anything for.

Chances created this season by team from the Premier Leagues website - Watford have created almost twice as many chances as us...

1649075607336.png

I am properly fed up now.

That MNF appearence a few months is what set my alarm bells off, it was clearly arranged by his agent and was to show wider audiences what an intellectual lad he is. That will further convince clubs who are sniffing around him that he'd be a really good addition to their teams/group. If you think I'm being daft then ask yourself and be honest, would City, the RS, Chelsea or Arsenal let one of their injured players be on TV doing punditry for one of their games? Of course they wouldn't because it's nothing but a side-show. They'd put the kibosh on it immediately because they are all serious about keeping everything in-house and not letting anybody they want to keep be touted around in any form whatsoever.

Him wearing dresses I don't give a toss about, him appearing on magazine covers whilst he's gone months without scoring and we're neck-deep in crap, everyone should have a big pronlem with that because it reeks of total disinterest. Get lost in that case.

He's following instruction though isn't he? The same instruction Ancelotti give him.

He, and Ancelotti were very vocal that he best serves the team when he in effect 'goal hangs'. The issue is, we've got nobody who'll create a chance. I'm sure Lampard said similar early days.

We have a striker who is a goal hanger, but we aren't capable of creating anything for.

Chances created this season by team from the Premier Leagues website - Watford have created almost twice as many chances as us...

View attachment 161260
Right but if that's the case he is waiting for chances to be put on a plate we may as well try Rondon or a fluid three especially in away games. I know that sounds mad but jesus the creation just isn't there in this team to have a goal hanger.

It's definitely fitness - he wasn't starting vs C.Palace in the game before West Ham and the manager spoke about his fitness before West Ham.

Calvert-Lewin scored 29 Premier League goals in the last 2 seasons.

These are the Lampard quotes I remember pre-match:

"The break has been positive for Dominic. I’ve only had him for three games. He was playing short of fitness, a striker wants to be, needs to be 100%. We’ve worked well with him over the last couple of weeks."

“Without putting un-due pressure on him - because it’s tough for a striker with expectations - but he’s in a good place".

Sounds like he was fine. Apparently he was seen throwing his bib to the ground after being taken off - disappointment at his/the team's performance or frustration at coming off? We don't know, but it was a surprising change that seemed to catch DCL off guard.

Having no alternative would be our biggest problem if Calvert-Lewin was a top class player who wasn't available to us, but he is playing and is contributing absolutely nothing. Teams of our level don't often have a plethora of options upfront when you have an undisputed starter for one position. Far too many of us thought that once he was back we would markedly improve but that isn't the case at all. Look at Calvert-Lewin's performance compared to Antonio's for West Ham, absolutely chalk and cheese.

My post wasn't an attack of his ego, I don't doubt that he's a good lad and he always comes across well. It was merely an attempt to maybe understand why the work rate has completely disappeared from his game and I think it goes far beyond 'manager instructions'.

Status
Not open for further replies.