2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like DCL, but he's a football dinosaur. By that I mean, his greatest strengths are scoring on crosses. Crosses are considered as low probability scoring chances, think it is about 1 in 64 crossers that results in goals. Secondly, he scores very few goals with his legs, and the most effective crossers are cutbacks, or more generally crossers that come along the ground. Most goals are usually scored with 1 or 2 touch.

If DCL does not stumble the ball into goal, or head it into goal, then he needs to use at least 3 or 4 touches to get control of it. He generally offers very little in the game, except that he can take down the snowballs that Pickford distributes, and be a classic target man. However, this is quite outdated. So to get the most out of DCL, we need to rely on a style of play that is outdated and not very effective. Because he has neither the technique nor the intelligent movements required of a modern striker. He is quite one-dimensional.

I like DCL, but he's a football dinosaur. By that I mean, his greatest strengths are scoring on crosses. Crosses are considered as low probability scoring chances, think it is about 1 in 64 crossers that results in goals. Secondly, he scores very few goals with his legs, and the most effective crossers are cutbacks, or more generally crossers that come along the ground. Most goals are usually scored with 1 or 2 touch.

If DCL does not stumble the ball into goal, or head it into goal, then he needs to use at least 3 or 4 touches to get control of it. He generally offers very little in the game, except that he can take down the snowballs that Pickford distributes, and be a classic target man. However, this is quite outdated. So to get the most out of DCL, we need to rely on a style of play that is outdated and not very effective. Because he has neither the technique nor the intelligent movements required of a modern striker. He is quite one-dimensional.
He’s a great striker.

We need to supply him better. We lack structure to our attacks, we need more overlaps and cutbacks into the box and some nice low driven crosses like Gordon delivered beautifully yesterday.

Our shape doesn’t really allow us to create an abundance of those type of openings tho, a 3 in midfield is absolutely necessary for that imo to cover the fullbacks going forward.

there isn’t a striker in world football in this era or others that could create their own chances the way Everton play football!

I know what you mean, but Gray, Richi and Gordon are all capable of creating that half yard of space to get a shot away, it’s just not something DCL has.

I know what you mean, but Gray, Richi and Gordon are all capable of creating that half yard of space to get a shot away, it’s just not something DCL has.
indeed but I’d say it’s a bit easier if you receive the ball in the areas those players do, Calvert Lewin is mostly playing on the shoulder of the last defenders trying to win flick ons

His greatest strength is that he holds the ball up well and brings others into play as he very rarely gives the ball away.

Of course he has to get the ball first to do that.

I guess this DCL has no technique thing is the new "Gueye can't pass a ball". There is always one weird take that gathers momentum each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.