Match Thread Everton v West Ham Utd; Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's too early to say he blew his £1.7m budget just on also rans.
Look I entirely accept that the board/ Brands has dealt Benitez a poor hand with a lack of investment and balance to the squad.

Equally at the moment Geay and Townsend look to be decent acquisitions.

However on what planet is Rondon not adding to the deadwood?

It was Benitez call to acquire him. No one else is to blame for that one.

There’ll be some in game factors the manager can control yes but more than likely we’ll end up in a very similar position between 11th-7th as we have been under recent managers because the fundamentals are not changing from season to season.

We are simply unable to back any manager with a decent squad of 22 players. Every season since I remember watching us there’s always a position in the team that we have only one suitable option for, or sometimes not even one. Why can other premier league teams some who have only just been recently promoted have strength in depth across most positions and we fail season after season at this.

We are also unable to ever keep our best players available for any manager. The last time this happened was Martinez’s first season when we went relatively injury free but every season since has been utterly blighted by injury after injury to key players that take ages to recover and even then aren’t fully right when they return. How come every other premier league team at the moment can select from pretty much full squads and once again we are down to the bare bones of kids and goalkeepers being sat on the bench.

Obviously issue 2 just exacerbates the failings of issue 1. God forbid Allan or Docuoure goes down this season because we really would struggle to win much at all.

Once someone at Everton gets to grip with these problems then we can maybe start laying the blame for our problems with the manager but at the moment it’s a bit like blaming a ships captain for not being a good sailor when he’s trying to navigate a dingy through a tsunami.

Im sick of seeing it though, it’s every season, no doubt the usual people will be out with the ‘injuries happen to everyone’ line but there’s a consistent pattern to ours.

At ‘best’ we manage to keep an on 11 on the pitch until about the first international break at which point there’s normally a strain of some sort that should keep them out for a game or two but actually keeps them out for a few months. We then get to around November going into Christmas where just as we are expecting a few players back we then lose others in key positions until eventually we’re down to absolute rag tag line ups over Christmas. We then patch the team up a bit during the new year as players return (but not for any key games) and then just as look like we might make something at the end of the season a key player will go down to just ensure we don’t.

At worst we get a raft of circulate injuries/broken bones/ quadricep tears through the key players of the team so that we’re completely screwed and when they come back they’re half the player they were.

It plagued Moyes continuously, Martinez was a bit more fortunate but even then the Kone Traore McCarthy Oviedo injuries cost him hugely in key moments. Koeman lost his main attacking signing in Bolasie, Allardyce was absolutely butchered by injuries, Silva lost his job because of the crippling injuries, and it cost Ancelotti Europe.

We simply cannot carry on running a football operation that can’t give their manager a suitable squad of players and can’t even keep the players we do have fit in any single premier league season.
I don't disagree with any of that

But I can still blame the manager when things like a style of play (which is crap/one-dimensional) and set-pieces are crap.

Like I can say he's done a fair few good things too.

The issue is, and I'm sick of fans buying into it en mass like we always do, is that we once again look like we only have one way of playing. Any time we've been required to step out of that, we can't do it.

I know we need better players but I just don't get this collective amnesia Everton fans manage to have just cause we got to celebrate a friggin draw at Old Trafford.

We can't control games at all, in any sense. Our entire strategy is to go direct, which is fine when it works but there's going to be a lot of incidents when it doesn't work and that's why we need more than one way of playing. It's why I keep saying that, IMO, the level of performances have been pretty consistent in our home games this season. Bang average, 6/10 displays but we've fortunately played teams where we've had that bit more quality to go and get the game won in 5/10-min spells. Today we didn't have that and West Ham are far more balanced than us and it shows.

Yes, injuries haven't helped, but we're Everton, we always have injuries. That's on the club to sort out like you say but they've shown no signs of doing it. The control seems to be with Benitez now so if it's not good enough then he needs to sort it doesn't he - i.e. demand we get new people in.

we lost 1-0 under ancelotti with 10 shots with richarlison, rodriguez and dcl

we lost 1-0 under benitez with 15 shots without richarlison and dcl
Pretty sure only Richarlison actually started the game you're on about btw, or if Dom started it was in that game that he got injured.

James came on for 5 mins at the end.

Today's display was as bad as anything in the back half of last season.

dcl and richy both started, dcl came off in the 79th minute

james got 30 mins
That was when James had just come back from injury yeah? And DCL got injured, aye, remember now.

We were crap that day, at the end of a congested run over Christmas, and we were crap today, on the back of a two-week break with a full crowd behind us (who were also crap).

You can say we were crap without saying the manager needs to be sacked.

My biggest frustration is we failed to capitalise in terms of out position in the table, yet again.

There’s the season we threw fourth place away under Martinez. Failing to get a European spot last season despite having several opportunities to get it done. Winning today would have put us in fourth. No doubt there are several others I can’t remember right now.

It’s an absolute joke how bad we are at taking our chances to achieve something or capitalise on a situation.

That was when James had just come back from injury yeah? And DCL got injured, aye, remember now.

We were crap that day, at the end of a congested run over Christmas, and we were crap today, on the back of a two-week break with a full crowd behind us (who were also crap).

You can say we were crap without saying the manager needs to be sacked.
i think we were really organised and unlucky to lose tbh

we were crap in the attacking third today sure

west ham had 1 decent shot on goal and that was it

we conceded to a set piece

we weren't outplayed or destroyed by west ham despite the fact we were missing our two best players

Look I entirely accept that the board/ Brands has dealt Benitez a poor hand with a lack of investment and balance to the squad.

Equally at the moment Geay and Townsend look to be decent acquisitions.

However on what planet is Rondon not adding to the deadwood?

It was Benitez call to acquire him. No one else is to blame for that one.
Gray looks a £40m player brought in on vittually a free transfer, Townsend scoring worldies every other week, and your take on our summer spend is that Benitez has added to our transfer woes by bringing in Rondon. Who should we have brought in on a free then, out of interest?

There’ll be some in game factors the manager can control yes but more than likely we’ll end up in a very similar position between 11th-7th as we have been under recent managers because the fundamentals are not changing from season to season.

We are simply unable to back any manager with a decent squad of 22 players. Every season since I remember watching us there’s always a position in the team that we have only one suitable option for, or sometimes not even one. Why can other premier league teams some who have only just been recently promoted have strength in depth across most positions and we fail season after season at this.

We are also unable to ever keep our best players available for any manager. The last time this happened was Martinez’s first season when we went relatively injury free but every season since has been utterly blighted by injury after injury to key players that take ages to recover and even then aren’t fully right when they return. How come every other premier league team at the moment can select from pretty much full squads and once again we are down to the bare bones of kids and goalkeepers being sat on the bench.

Obviously issue 2 just exacerbates the failings of issue 1. God forbid Allan or Docuoure goes down this season because we really would struggle to win much at all.

Once someone at Everton gets to grip with these problems then we can maybe start laying the blame for our problems with the manager but at the moment it’s a bit like blaming a ships captain for not being a good sailor when he’s trying to navigate a dingy through a tsunami.

Im sick of seeing it though, it’s every season, no doubt the usual people will be out with the ‘injuries happen to everyone’ line but there’s a consistent pattern to ours.

At ‘best’ we manage to keep an on 11 on the pitch until about the first international break at which point there’s normally a strain of some sort that should keep them out for a game or two but actually keeps them out for a few months. We then get to around November going into Christmas where just as we are expecting a few players back we then lose others in key positions until eventually we’re down to absolute rag tag line ups over Christmas. We then patch the team up a bit during the new year as players return (but not for any key games) and then just as look like we might make something at the end of the season a key player will go down to just ensure we don’t.

At worst we get a raft of circulate injuries/broken bones/ quadricep tears through the key players of the team so that we’re completely screwed and when they come back they’re half the player they were.

It plagued Moyes continuously, Martinez was a bit more fortunate but even then the Kone Traore McCarthy Oviedo injuries cost him hugely in key moments. Koeman lost his main attacking signing in Bolasie, Allardyce was absolutely butchered by injuries, Silva lost his job because of the crippling injuries, and it cost Ancelotti Europe.

We simply cannot carry on running a football operation that can’t give their manager a suitable squad of players and can’t even keep the players we do have fit in any single premier league season.
This X 1000

Pretty sure only Richarlison actually started the game you're on about btw, or if Dom started it was in that game that he got injured.

James came on for 5 mins at the end.

Today's display was as bad as anything in the back half of last season.
nonsense. we couldn't pass forwards for the last six months of last season. The worst football I've ever seen.

i think we were really organised and unlucky to lose tbh

we were crap in the attacking third today sure

west ham had 1 decent shot on goal and that was it

we conceded to a set piece

we weren't outplayed or destroyed by west ham despite the fact we were missing our two best players

We weren’t ‘destroyed’ by West Ham despite having 2 players out injured? That is one low bar you have.

We weren’t ‘destroyed’ by West Ham despite having 2 players out injured? That is one low bar you have.

Take Son and Kane out of Spurs side today and they lose to an awful Newcastle side.

You underestimate just how tough it is for teams outside of the top 4 to cope with their two best forwards out.

Take Son and Kane out of Spurs side today and they lose to an awful Newcastle side.

You underestimate just how tough it is for teams outside of the top 4 to cope with their two best forwards out.

Well if you are going to just make up results, then no, they actually win 6-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.