New Everton Stadium Discussion

Just FYI, nobody's talking about blowing the whole dock up and building a statue of Karl Marx in its place.

They want to put a plaque up on the hydraulic tower or - at most - maybe have a section of the visitor centre dedicated to the history of the site which will obviously include the bad as well as the good. Shocking stuff!

And of course Germany has zero memorials to their modern history. Christ, if you're going to pick a country to prove whatever point it is you're making, don't choose Germany!

I know I'll be told to f off as I'm not a blue and it's nothing to do with me or whatever, but the last few pages... :hayee:
oh right. just one plaque? where's the harm in that?
hang on though, Liverpool was built three hundred years ago with alot of money coming into the city from profits from slavery. So, actually, anywhere which benefitted from such money will need a plaque, wont it? Ten years from now, the whole city will be stamped, 'tainted goods'.
Well, how about we don't do that. How about we do what we've always done upto five years ago. We don't judge and attach plaques to the past on the basis of today's current fads

hang on though, Liverpool was built three hundred years ago with alot of money coming into the city from profits from slavery. So, actually, anywhere which benefitted from such money will need a plaque, wont it? Ten years from now, the whole city will be stamped, 'tainted goods'.
Well, how about we don't do that. How about we do what we've always done upto five years ago. We don't judge and attach plaques to the past on the basis of today's current fads
slavery only matters if you build a stadium on it...come on keep up

The name is significant and now well documented.... for generations it wasn't. It was hidden, and some still want it hidden! No-one is tearing anything down at all... it will be a plaque of recognition, so i would suggest your over reaction to this basic act of referencing our history is far more fanatical than any virtue signalling.
It wasn't hidden. It was forgotten. You are the one insisting we stamp anything linked with money earned from slavery 300 years ago with a badge saying 'tainted'. Cos once you do that, you've started a process to remove all legitimacy from it, And ultimately it will fall I'd rather not do with that with every facet of our history thanks. I can judge what happened in the past without some virtue signalling bellends telling me 'this is not who we are now'. Like that was ever necessary.

there is no significance to the name of the site. It's just a dock. If we follow your advice of 'recognising the significance of the name of the dock' we will soon be tearing down Liverpool brick by brick for ever more. And for what? who benefits? It's a load of virtue signalling garbage put about by fanatics who want to overthrow everything.
Who is talking about tearing anything down?

I think you're getting a bit carried away with the old Daily Express talking points here.

Why do people keep adding hundreds of years onto this..... Everton were playing football matches when Bramley Moore was alive, as was my grandfather.

The abhorrence of slavery is not a fad....
These people hid most of this for generations. Are your ancestors implicated in some way.... you appear very sensitive about a plaque?

Absolutely no time for anyone on here who insinuates others as racist. If you have a concern, report it via the link beneath every post.

Across digital in particular - people too keen to accuse others of being racist and it won't be tolerated here. Questioning the sincerity/highlighting the hypocrisy behind a private company, a Premier League football club's PR department (or criticising a black footballers performance) doesn't mean someone is racist. Even worse are those who use the topic to 'bait' and antagonize.

Head over to Twitter if you want to point score over how morally superior or enlightened you are.

Now on topic please.

Why do people keep adding hundreds of years onto this..... Everton were playing football matches when Bramley Moore was alive, as was my grandfather.

These people hid most of this for generations. Are your ancestors implicated in some way.... you appear very sensitive about a plaque?
do you think you're the first generation to abhor slavery? The fad, is the requirement that everything has a blue plaque, with patronising childish explanations for historical events in less than 30 words. They didn't hide it, the slavers at the time didn't think they had anything to be ashamed of. It was the way people thought back then. Jane Austen 'every savage can dance'. Oh no! she's a racist! We won't ban the books, we'll just slap a childish ignorant summary on the front of each book of how wrong she was, and how right we are now.

Some of the wooden stands at Goodison were imported from former forest plantations in Brazil..