2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea that Benitez is the only thing stopping Evertonians unifying doesn't stand up. One thing that is obvious to me after 40 years supporting this club is that we are a very broad church. We've never had a manager that everyone gets totally behind from the start. Evertonians have different ideas of what constitutes Evertonianism - and even those ideas change depending on the circumstances of the club. Allardyce, for example, was brought in for a specific reason (ensure no relegation) and executed his remit competently. Yet, he was loathed because a voluble section of the fanbase felt he did not represent Evertonianism. His overall record was respectable, however. Yet, people who did increasingly incompetent jobs, such as Silva and Martinez in his last 18 months, were tolerated for far longer simply because they presented a more appealing, though largely false, image of the club. This kind of dubious self-regard is a fig leaf covering our utter failure to compete. In the absence of genuine achievement, fans resort to "style of play" considerations and other tangential self-aggrandisement to protect their self respect.

I suppose a generation of failure and lack of success has meant that self-image - however deluded and misleading - is now all Evertonians have to fall back on. The danger, however, is we fall for style over substance. As competent as Benitez obviously is - and he is - he has a tough job on unless the purse strings are loosened sufficiently. Worse, he won't be given time to even get to next summer (when he might actually have some money to spend). We're in dangerous waters as a result. He badly needs a win over Norwich to navigate a difficult autumn.

I agree with everything you say here. When Allardyce was here just like Benitez no one wanted him. However just like now everyone still wanted the team to win. Both of them like every other Everton manager have been criticised when we lost. It comes with the territory. I don't want Benitez as manager but I'm prepared to back up whilst he is here. However given he has divided the fan base so much the day he leaves will be good for the club in one sense unity however it means we will probably be struggling so that will be bad.

….it’s crazy, the Benitez luvvies think he’s the personification of the club. Personally, I just wish we could concentrate on the footy and forget about him.

i don’t want him here but I haven’t criticised him. Amazing that a few posters seem to idolise him & I have no reason to understand why.

….it’s crazy, the Benitez luvvies think he’s the personification of the club. Personally, I just wish we could concentrate on the footy and forget about him.

i don’t want him here but I haven’t criticised him. Amazing that a few posters seem to idolise him & I have no reason to understand why.
I think it's because we've had managers recently who either couldn't organise a team or couldn't be bothered turning up to training. Compared to them a bloke who cares, tries and has a vague tactical idea seems impressive. In reality that should be the bare minimum for a Premier League manager.

we as fans will never be happy

We will if we start winning trophies again.

We've had no reason to be happy for 26 years and let's be honest, apart from that FA Cup win, the 7 years before it were pretty crap as well.

30 odd years with an FA Cup win to our name and a whole host of under achieving, failure and mismanagement.

This is what needs to happen, for the sake of the sanity of the fan base. I never thought we'd appoint Benitez, but he's here now. If he ultimately provides a more watchable brand of togger which gets us somewhere, the health of the club improves. We seem to increasingly live in black or white world where you have to love or hate with no room for common sense, it's doing my nut in.

The idea that Benitez is the only thing stopping Evertonians unifying doesn't stand up. One thing that is obvious to me after 40 years supporting this club is that we are a very broad church. We've never had a manager that everyone gets totally behind from the start. Evertonians have different ideas of what constitutes Evertonianism - and even those ideas change depending on the circumstances of the club. Allardyce, for example, was brought in for a specific reason (ensure no relegation) and executed his remit competently. Yet, he was loathed because a voluble section of the fanbase felt he did not represent Evertonianism. His overall record was respectable, however. Yet, people who did increasingly incompetent jobs, such as Silva and Martinez in his last 18 months, were tolerated for far longer simply because they presented a more appealing, though largely false, image of the club. This kind of dubious self-regard is a fig leaf covering our utter failure to compete. In the absence of genuine achievement, fans resort to "style of play" considerations and other tangential self-aggrandisement to protect their self respect.

I suppose a generation of failure and lack of success has meant that self-image - however deluded and misleading - is now all Evertonians have to fall back on. The danger, however, is we fall for style over substance. As competent as Benitez obviously is - and he is - he has a tough job on unless the purse strings are loosened sufficiently. Worse, he won't be given time to even get to next summer (when he might actually have some money to spend). We're in dangerous waters as a result. He badly needs a win over Norwich to navigate a difficult autumn.
Rafael’s arse is a broad church

Not disagreeing with that, but it's still a midtable side drawing away to a fringe European contender. Good result, but not unusual. It's not like Villa went in and heisted a draw away from the league-leading side that's averaging over two goals a match and has only conceded once in five matches. That would be a stunner.

WHAT lol

This is said lineup of "fringe European contender"

Kepa
James
Chalobah
Sarr
Chilwell
Kante (Mount)
RLC
Saul (Lukaku)
CHO
Werner
Ziyech (Barkley)

Total value from transfer fees? ~£370m

That's some B team fringe European contender side isn't it.

Absolute clown sometimes you are.

I think it's because we've had managers recently who either couldn't organise a team or couldn't be bothered turning up to training. Compared to them a bloke who cares, tries and has a vague tactical idea seems impressive. In reality that should be the bare minimum for a Premier League manager.
I get what you are saying but think you are hyping this up a little, granted I think we have more of a clear idea what we want to do on the pitch now then under carlo but about organising the team etc, apart from Brighton we've looked leaky at the back every game more or less, had long spells in every game ( again minus Brighton ) were we looked clueless.

We've started the season with perfect games in reality, take out say Burnley and put city in there and on paper it's just a mid table average start.

He's done alrite up until the cup game where he got it massively wrong

I get what you are saying but think you are hyping this up a little, granted I think we have more of a clear idea what we want to do on the pitch now then under carlo but about organising the team etc, apart from Brighton we've looked leaky at the back every game more or less, had long spells in every game ( again minus Brighton ) were we looked clueless.

We've started the season with perfect games in reality, take out say Burnley and put city in there and on paper it's just a mid table average start.

He's done alrite up until the cup game where he got it massively wrong

But that would be the same for any manager here be it Carlo Ancelotti or Marco Silva.

Which is why the likes of myself have been saying get behind Benitez as there is no shiny golden ticket waiting to take his job and have us in the top 4 with this sorry squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.