New Everton Stadium Discussion

Dont know if this has already been mentioned:

Discussions like these are older than you think. 15 years ago. About Penny Lane. I'm sure everybody remembers.
Let's rename Liverpool founded by murderers and rapist vikings.

Let's rename Liverpool founded by murderers and rapist vikings.
There is a difference.
Slavery, in this case the selling and shipping of black people (treating them like cattle), is still visible in today's society. The ensuing racism too.
Vikings, Romans and their slaves or the Spanish Inquisition (to name a few) were cruel, but they're (almost) irrelevant nowadays. It's been 1100 - 1800 - 400 years.

There is a difference.
Slavery, in this case the selling and shipping of black people (treating them like cattle), is still visible in today's society. The ensuing racism too.
Vikings, Romans and their slaves or the Spanish Inquisition (to name a few) were cruel, but they're (almost) irrelevant nowadays. It's been 1100 - 1800 - 400 years.

Yes that is true, it’s still taking place in many parts of the Middle East and Africa.

I am not a fan of racism. Uncomfortable truths as in what?
As in we’re in the privileged position we are as a society in part because of hundreds of years of exploitation of others.

It’s not our fault as individuals, but it doesn’t mean we can’t recognise that we remain one of the wealthiest countries in the world in part thanks to the leverage afforded our economy over other peoples hundreds of years ago.

Recognising the significance of the name of the site is not rewriting history or indeed something individuals should be ashamed of. Unfortunately some right-leaning people see this as some kind of personal affront. The fact is, this was a largely hidden history for generations. John Bramley Moore continued to operate in this trade and profited from the proceeds long after the abolition.... after which he held high office in local society and was chairman of the port authority. When he died Everton FC were already playing at Anfield..... so it is hardly the ancient history of Vikings and Romans.

Recognising the significance of the name of the site is not rewriting history or indeed something individuals should be ashamed of. Unfortunately some right-leaning people see this as some kind of personal affront. The fact is, this was a largely hidden history for generations. John Bramley Moore continued to operate in this trade and profited from the proceeds long after the abolition.... after which he held high office in local society and was chairman of the port authority. When he died Everton FC were already playing at Anfield..... so it is hardly the ancient history of Vikings and Romans.
I agree another uncomfortable truth is this city was largely Tory until after the war.
But this has nothing to do with Everton FC either.

What has BAME experiencing racism on a daily basis got to do with Everton building a new stadium?

Are you saying we as a club should be apologising for the City's past?

The club have no connection to John Moore whatsoever. We already know about the history of the port.
I
What has BAME experiencing racism on a daily basis got to do with Everton building a new stadium?

Are you saying we as a club should be apologising for the City's past?

The club have no connection to John Moore whatsoever. We already know about the history of the port.
I only mention racism in response to your position that 10 years ago this wouldn’t be a thing, possibly correct. This is not a positive though, it’s like you’re suggesting going back 10 years when we cared less about race relations.

The connection to the stadium build is only relevant because we are building on ‘Bramley Moore” Dock. Also why are you talking about apologies, no one has even suggested the club apologising. From what I have read all that is being suggested is a plaque or display acknowledging the history of the site, and it’s role in the slave trade. If anything it’s about distancing the club from it’s history. Also when you say ‘we’ already know about the history of the port, who do you mean because I guarantee that a straw poll of visitors to the new stadium would find many didn’t have a clue.