2021/22 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s mad how some players can make constant mistakes. And yet still be considered the first CB on the team sheet . He’s cost us more than the other 3 in the last 12 months. He’s solid but weak mental and that won’t change.

CB is an area that could see big changes in the next 12/18 months. Keane’s not good enough for me
But only what he has done for Rafael means anything to Rafael, his error against Soutgampton was bonkers but we won, Rafael wont be leaving him out any time soon

People do miss them though. My favorite example is the derby win. People went crazy over him but the biggest chance we conceded he was massively out of position for. But no one seemed to really care (it got saved tbf) and I genuinely think it was because he was so far out of the way that you've got to really look hard at it to see what he's done.

There are others, he basically lost a player to concede a shot in every game he started at CB, but that's the one that sticks. He also lost Mane twice that day.

As for Keane on Monday I'm willing to give him, and the other CBs, a pass for playing poorly in a system they don't know how to play. I'm more interested in our work as a back four.
We played a back 5 in the derby. So you’re willing to give keane a pass in a back 5 but not Godfrey. Also he’s was left side, Holgate was on the right v mane. Maybe Godfrey was covering for the others

We played a back 5 in the derby. So you’re willing to give keane a pass in a back 5 but not Godfrey. Also he’s was left side, Holgate was on the right v mane. Maybe Godfrey was covering for the others
No Godfrey pressured Firmino and got pulled way out doing so, didn't win the ball, switched off and didn't return to his position and also didn't get to a loose ball which left a massive gap and created a 2v1 for Shaqiri and Salah. It was terrible and it was ignored.

I remember that system as a 4-4-2 but whatever, give him a pass on the Mane stuff then. We played a back four enough and he lost people in it enough that there will be plenty of examples.

Keane isn't the flashiest CB in the world but if you don't expose him he will largely do his job. With how we are playing currently and figure to be for the foreseeable future that's enough for me. I'm not saying don't replace him next summer if the right deal is there.

But only what he has done for Rafael means anything to Rafael, his error against Soutgampton was bonkers but we won, Rafael wont be leaving him out any time soon
More to do with the availability of others. Mina only available for two and started both. Godfrey one and started. So you could argue he wo t be leaving them out anytime soon either.

No CB will last long under Rafael if they keep making mistakes. Keane. Davies, Coleman and Gomes have got there Little fan groups. They can have a number of poor games. And as soon as they have one, they’re out in force.

No Godfrey pressured Firmino and got pulled way out doing so, didn't win the ball, switched off and didn't return to his position and also didn't get to a loose ball which left a massive gap and created a 2v1 for Shaqiri and Salah. It was terrible and it was ignored.

I remember that system as a 4-4-2 but whatever, give him a pass on the Mane stuff then. We played a back four enough and he lost people in it enough that there will be plenty of examples.

Keane isn't the flashiest CB in the world but if you don't expose him he will largely do his job. With how we are playing currently and figure to be for the foreseeable future that's enough for me. I'm not saying don't replace him next summer if the right deal is there.
It was a 5 IMO. Coleman, Holgate, Keane, Godfrey and Digne. I’m not saying Godfrey is perfect and needs to improve, he’s got a higher ceiling than Keane. Who will never stop making mistakes at his age now

Mina is stronger, better on ball, better in the Air.

Godfrey has had 2 Season at this level. While Keane’s had 7/8 Amd in his first season at Everton. He’s played RB, LB. left CB in a 4 Right CB in a 4. Left side in a 3 right side on a 3 and in the centre of a 3. And still made less mistakes than Keane. Godfrey is the future

Keane is actually not that bad on the ball and he can pick a pass out, some of the balls he plays are proper ballers.

Keane is actually not that bad on the ball and he can pick a pass out, some of the balls he plays are proper ballers.

If everyone stands 10 yards away from him and lets him do it, yeah he can ping diagonals all day long. The minute someone runs near him at any sort of a speed you can see him fill his undies and his brain melt.

It was a 5 IMO. Coleman, Holgate, Keane, Godfrey and Digne. I’m not saying Godfrey is perfect and needs to improve, he’s got a higher ceiling than Keane. Who will never stop making mistakes at his age now
I think it is essentially this:
Keane, big mistakes but aside from them very steady.
Mina, similar but a little less frequent, bit of a wild man, none of it matters because his calf is going two weeks from any given match
Godfrey, less big mistakes but is minute to minute a little shakier than the other two. His recovery pace is a massive asset and also a massive liability.
Holgate is just a step down.

If everyone stands 10 yards away from him and lets him do it, yeah he can ping diagonals all day long. The minute someone runs near him at any sort of a speed you can see him fill his undies and his brain melt.
Still that sets him apart from two players in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.