2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The money thing has all been built up by Sky and the constant calculators and running totals they have on every day of the window.

People become obsessed with how much we’ve spent, rather than what impact that player will have on the group. The signings of Gray and Townsend were baulked at due to the small fees paid, yet both have had more of a contribution than players we paid significantly more for.

It is a given that most of the time, the team that spends the most wins more games than the teams that spend the least. However, the business we did in the summer isn’t looking too bad at the minute.

The real test will be when we start to pick up injuries to key players, hopefully, that doesn’t happen.
No sorry, thats not the point I was making. I have very little faith in the signings we have made - in the medium term - as they all they are is proven journeymen. 3 games isnt enough to convince me otherwise. Gray in particular is known for terrible inconsistency in his career, which makes judging him over such a short timespan very dangerous.

This lack of clout now in the market is actually not much different to the appalling buys we have made for big money.

We havent been spending money wisely and just because we have gone cheap doesnt improve things, it just means money isnt being spent. Its still a squad clogged with rubbish, and weve possibly added to that rubbish over the summer, albeit at a much cheaper price.

Benitez is no more hamstrung in that regard than most of his predeccessors.

Thankfully it is performance-based so we'll either be winning silverware or he's gone.
To be fair if he brings silverware he can write his own cheque as far as I'm concerned. I'd love him to win the cup and we finish above the rs this season. It will be fun laughing at the anti-benitez biff brigade

He's staying unless there is a real chance of relegation.
They will not sack another manager, not this time.
I think that's a pretty bold claim to make, when one takes into account how often Benitez ends up feuding with his employers. He has a history of being a very high maintenance manager. Moshiri and Benitez both have massive egos. So this is a canister of fuel, that could ignite at any time.

No sorry, thats not the point I was making. I have very little faith in the signings we have made - in the medium term - as they all they are is proven journeymen. 3 games isnt enough to convince me otherwise. Gray in particular is known for terrible inconsistency in his career, which makes judging him over such a short timespan very dangerous.

This lack of clout now in the market is actually not much different to the appalling buys we have made for big money.

We havent been spending money wisely and just because we have gone cheap doesnt improve things, it just means money isnt being spent. Its still a squad clogged with rubbish, and weve possibly added to that rubbish over the summer, albeit at a much cheaper price.

I agree with what you’re saying with regard to the squad being clogged up. I do think the signings, although somewhat overwhelming, will be better than what people think. Solely due to them having pace, which is what we have lacked severely.

I agree on Gray, however, most wingers are inconsistent, it’s why top teams usually have 4 of them. I’m hoping the addition of the new ones, plus them having an actual game plan of getting the ball in the box early, will help the others (Iwobi and Gordon) improve. He’s had a great start, if he can continue to pop up with the odd goal and assist he’ll be a shrewd signing. Same with Andros.

I think the lack of transfer activity and struggles of clearing out deadwood will take away the importance of finishing position vs last season. Last season was dire at times and time will tell, but I think the fact that we *seem* to be fitter, better organised and have a style of play will be seen as improvement alone.

Like him or not, he's won more than double the amount of trophies in his 20 odd years of management than what we have in our last 50 years of history. Take away the trophies he won across the park from that stat and he's still won more than us over the same timeframes. We didn't have anyone with that pedigree available who would have been willing to join us, especially under the circumstances he had to work with this summer.
Interesting post from someone on a free transfer valuation. :D

To be fair if he brings silverware he can write his own cheque as far as I'm concerned. I'd love him to win the cup and we finish above the rs this season. It will be fun laughing at the anti-benitez biff brigade
We just won’t, not for a number of years yet. Love the optimism. But it’s three games in, we’re woefully short in a number of positions. We will be found out come the new year, just like Ancelotti was, though I’d suggest he’d realised it might be a bit hard to manage the Everton.

I'm not so sure about that. As i said before he had players like Torres Alonso and Mascherano in that rs side of his, and yet he still couldn't win the league with those players, and finished 7th in his final season. In fact Sir Alex Ferguson, caused the so called master tactician to mentally implode. :D
He bought Mascherano, Alonso and Torres in the first place.
And the implosion is a myth. He won all games after that famous rant, including 1-4 at Old Trafford. Benitez never had the luxury of having the same spending power of Chelsea, Arsenal and man utd. He made them relevant again...

Just compare him to Houllier and Roy Hodgson.

We just won’t, not for a number of years yet. Love the optimism. But it’s three games in, we’re woefully short in a number of positions. We will be found out come the new year, just like Ancelotti was, though I’d suggest he’d realised it might be a bit hard to manage the Everton.
A domestic cup isn't beyond reach. Obviously the title isn't happening anytime soon.

Benitez is a dreadful, stale choice. Mistake free, dredge tactics, he is a percentage man, get the ball wide, two touch sprint, then hit it across into the box. When can we have attacking, winning football, last time I can remember is 95/96. Since then it's been a dredge factory, nothing more than a war of attrition.
2013/14

"Don't let it be forgot, that once there was a spot,
for one brief shining moment, that was known as Camelot."

He'll be here as long as he stays in top 14. I really don't want him as our manager, but, the club do, they're paying him a huge wage to keep us stable while they spend very little and reduce the wage bill and squad size. Mid table is OK by the board anything more Is a bonus.

Much as it hurts me to say it Benitez is here for at least 2 seasons providing he doesn't get things horribly wrong. Stabilisation is the name of the game for us these days.

Out of the 20 clubs we had the lowest spend.

There was no money in the pot this summer. You can kick and scream about the manager next season when he's spent a bit of coin but until then sit back and marvel at him overacheiving finishing top half or so working with a relegation sides transfer budget.

If he hadnt spent 8 weeks analysing the squad ( when every man and his dog knew what was needed) leaving it til the last days of the window he would have spent over £34mil.

But he's got the same team as the start of last season with Gray & Rondon , so he should do well.

And for £290k pw ....£15mil per year he best win the bloody lot.

Got his mate Big Sal 2 years @ £90k pw too.

No money ....what a load of Bull.

I agree. Except for the sixty million quid Carlo and Allardyce lashed out, and the hundred million spent by Silva and Koeman, Benitez is in exactly the same boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.