Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Godfrey will play there if needed if we don’t get one, we have 4 CBs and Godfrey is quite versatile, also I believe if fit Gbamin can play CB, soon dedicated RB but we have plenty of defenders. Not ideal but it could work out ok, Lescott use to cover for Baines in Moyes time here and that worked out ok.

Godfrey covered at left back as well. Versatile defender.

The worst thing about the RB situation, is that it isn’t a new issue. It’s not as if it’s just become a problem this year. We’ve had Sidibe, Martina, Kenny, all terrible solutions to a problem of evident decline in Coleman. The fact that it hasn’t been a priority, (and you can actively see opponents targeting that side of the pitch), borders on negligence.

I just want to know how it looks in practice that is an upgrade. We saw it early last season but teams worked out overloading the left flank forces James to do something and it went to crap.

Only Liverpool really overloaded it tbf mate. Southampton got at Godfrey but their goals came down their right IIRC.

After that we didn't ever play it again so it's hard to judge.

But before that, for all the talk of it happening, it never actually happened that much that teams targetted the right side (their left) until that first derby.

Teams definitely targeted James subsequently but he only ever played right side again when it was 3-4-3 and that was only two games (Leeds and Fulham)

It's easy to make the statements - I fall into it myself - but when you think back, no teams scored goals against us in that early stage because James slacked off. Man Utd scored from that side but that was down to dreadful marking in the box.

The problem is James can't be coached into a system where he has responsibilities, defending, tackling and tracking back.

Still think he'd be useful off the bench when we are after a goal. What a sub to have.
That's fine. Like I said before, cherry on top.

We should be able to call on his quality in games when it's not all about running around like lunatics who happen to not be able to string 5 passes together (like we saw v Huddersfield apart from a few moves at the start and for our second goal)

Status
Not open for further replies.