Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Godfrey, Pickford, Richarlison and DCL didn't come through our youth system and went straight into the first team squad, Holgate only did a year in the u23s, I think, after arriving from Barnsley. Davies did come through, it's true, as did Gordon but that's a poor reflection on our youth system if in 6 or 7 years we can only manage two bit part players.
Small handled the situation very poorly, however if he couldn't see a path through to the first team I don't blame him for leaving. Players like Garbutt, Pennington, Broadhead etc.. hang around Everton for the wages, get nowhere near the first team and sacrifice their careers in doing so. I think Small is correct not going down that route.
We hang on to players too long, we (Unsworth) prioritise success in meaningless u23 leagues when we should be using those competitions to get young players used to the system the first team plays and to get a look at players in a competitive environment. No player should do more than 2-3 years in the u23s, at that point they are either good enough for the first team squad or they should be released/moved on. Our youth set up is not fit for purpose, Unsworth and the rest of the set up should be moved on and a competent DoF should be in charge of instituting a consistent footballing culture all the way through the club. We both know that won't happen, sadly.
DCL also had a short spell in our U23's

Oh my god please tell me you aren’t using these players as examples of us developing youth?
Oh my god tell me you didn’t read the post I was responding to?
“We don't give youth a chance at this club.”
I’m saying that we play and buy young players if they’re good enough, but please continue acting like you’re in an American sitcom.

Yes our academy is not producing good enough players, that is true, but my point is that the first team is not saying no if the player is good enough, it’s that our youth is not good enough.

Oh my god tell me you didn’t read the post I was responding to?
“We don't give youth a chance at this club.”
I’m saying that we play and buy young players if they’re good enough, but please continue acting like you’re in an American sitcom.

Yes our academy is not producing good enough players, that is true, but my point is that the first team is not saying no if the player is good enough, it’s that our youth is not good enough.

Buying a player for £40m who happens to be under 25 is not “giving youth a chance”

I still think we will need a creative player to take Gylfis place I just can't see him being involved for the foreseeable if ever, we can't afford to lose James as well in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.