Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Positives from today:
Coming from behind to win a game.
Both strikers scoring.
A different team coming out in the second half and going for it.
Taking the lead and instead of sitting back and coasting, actually looking for a third, getting it, and actually looking for a fourth.
DCL channeling his inner Andy Gray with that goal.

I said during the match thread we didn’t lack effort but quality. Much better second half and credit to benetiz for the slight tactical change at half time that won us the game. However a bit of perspective needed. Saints in the last week have sold their best forward and central defender. I think they’ll be in a relegation fight this season. As for us, more difficult tests lie ahead starting with Leeds away. But let’s hope the players and the returning ones this week, can take the confidence and performance from the second half into next week.
You could say the same about us, we were missing our two best defenders Mina & Godfrey (I know Mina was on the bench but likely he wasn't fit) we were also missing our most creative player

First time I've seen the conceded goal. Yes, Keane was terrible, but FFS look how pathetic Holgate was. I think he deserves more stick than Keane.
I agree with loads of what you say, mate, but think you need to rewatch the clip with the telepathy turned up:

KEANE: I'm gonna pass to you. Er, no I'm not. Although, actually, I think perhaps I might do. No definitely, definitely not. Oh, I've passed it!

HOLGATE: I'm ready for your pass, pal. Oh, you aren't passing.......... OMG, have you seen the size of the chest of that woman in the crowd??? It's even bigger than............ what's that ball thing doing coming toward me? I've got half a mind to actually move to get it. Oops! Too late! Never mind . Now where's that chest again?

To an astute footie analyst such as yourself, I think it'll now be clear that Keane was undoubtedly the baddie in all this. To be fair, which of us wouldn't look at a fascinating bosom, rather than the game we were being paid a fortune to concentrate on?

A manager who knows how to win a home game and more importantly can rally the troops to turn around a half time defeat
Enough said
Positives from today:
Coming from behind to win a game.
Both strikers scoring.
A different team coming out in the second half and going for it.
Taking the lead and instead of sitting back and coasting, actually looking for a third, getting it, and actually looking for a fourth.
DCL channeling his inner Andy Gray with that goal.

Agree with these, I`ve got a content happy feeling tonight and feeling positive which wasn`t the case at half time. Get the rest of our squad back and a few quality additions this could be interesting...

Good start by Mr Benitez, I`m not sold just yet and we have bigger challenges ahead but that was a positive start...... COYBs

You could say the same about us, we were missing our two best defenders Mina & Godfrey (I know Mina was on the bench but likely he wasn't fit) we were also missing our most creative player
The problem is it’s unlikely we’ll see James in an Everton shirt again.

What? You for real? Dave you've really lost it.
No, I haven't.

Look at the reaction of Holgate - it gets shovelled toward him atrocioulsy by Keane, yes. No argument about that. But his lack of urgency is appalling. It's like he's seen a mole come up for the ground and he's staring down at it in amazement.

That ball would have been in Row Z if a decent PL CB was dealing with it.

First time I've seen the conceded goal. Yes, Keane was terrible, but FFS look how pathetic Holgate was. I think he deserves more stick than Keane.

It's all dreadful, and the positioning of the midfielders and the tactics of having a 4-4-1-1 which just didn't work.

It's a system - along with 4-2-3-1 - that doesn't work for us. Even if James stays, which is unlikely, his best role is off the right in English football. There is not enough space in the middle and unless you have a really dynamic playmaker like Fernandes, 4-2-3-1 just stagnates.

I hope Benitez has learned that now because if not we'll see a lot of what we saw under Carlo and later stage Silva and that is 20/30 yard passes having to be hit perfectly, and far too much dawdling on the ball.

Anyway, Keane and Holgate should be the last-choice pairing, ultimately, though clearly circumstances dictated they had to start today.

It's all dreadful, and the positioning of the midfielders and the tactics of having a 4-4-1-1 which just didn't work.

It's a system - along with 4-2-3-1 - that doesn't work for us. Even if James stays, which is unlikely, his best role is off the right in English football. There is not enough space in the middle and unless you have a really dynamic playmaker like Fernandes, 4-2-3-1 just stagnates.

I hope Benitez has learned that now because if not we'll see a lot of what we saw under Carlo and later stage Silva and that is 20/30 yard passes having to be hit perfectly, and far too much dawdling on the ball.

Anyway, Keane and Holgate should be the last-choice pairing, ultimately, though clearly circumstances dictated they had to start today.

Oh mate the obsession of the formation/tactics we've just won 3-1 lol most games won in a 433/343/352/442 ended in a scrappy 1-0 last season its not a massive deal.

Agree completely on Keane/Holgate though the former is a mental midget who crumbles under any pressure and the latter is a bottom half quality player.

I would be offering Holgate around for whatever someone is willing to take for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.