Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate how are we supposed to judge him if not with the players he has with his disposal?

I don't get your point at all.

Getting more out of them is his literal job.
You don’t get my point? Ok. Well, he hadn’t lost a game until yesterday, albeit against very poor opposition, but I doubt he arranged those fixtures any way. He’s also not really been able to make any changes to a squad, which as we all saw last season consists of some very poor players that consistently let down the great Ancelotti (Yes, I loved Carlo, and gave him probably too many excuses). We also haven’t even kicked a ball yet in the new season, so it’s a little hard to make judgement on the guy. If it turns out he is a poor choice, I will be questioning him, but until then I am going to get behind the team, the players (despite how poor many of them are), and hope they win. Do I have this burning love for Benitez? No way, but I don’t have to love the manager to hope the team plays well and wins.

You don’t get my point? Ok. Well, he hadn’t lost a game until yesterday, albeit against very poor opposition, but I doubt he arranged those fixtures any way. He’s also not really been able to make any changes to a squad, which as we all saw last season consists of some very poor players that consistently let down the great Ancelotti (Yes, I loved Carlo, and gave him probably too many excuses). We also haven’t even kicked a ball yet in the new season, so it’s a little hard to make judgement on the guy. If it turns out he is a poor choice, I will be questioning him, but until then I am going to get behind the team, the players (despite how poor many of them are), and hope they win. Do I have this burning love for Benitez? No way, but I don’t have to love the manager to hope the team plays well and wins.
But your original post said "I find it almost laughable that people are using performances from this lot to stick the knives in."

What are we supposed to judge him on if not the performances from our players?

Let's see if I get this right.

The club has vastly underperformed just about in every aspect on and off the pitch over the last 7 years. Then the heirarchy decide too malt a wildly unpopular and divisive choice to lead the team this season and, apparently, don't back him.

But we're meant to blindly follow this without question or criticism because this is our club?

But your original post said "I find it almost laughable that people are using performances from this lot to stick the knives in."

What are we supposed to judge him on if not the performances from our players?
Well, what I mean is that it was one performance against Man U, the second best team in the league, by all accounts. I’m on about the guy being given a chance, in the league, like the other managers that have been here. Maybe, he will get something out of this lot, who knows? It certainly won’t come from them?

I don’t think the reaction from some on here is coming from that performance, it’s more down to the dislike they have for the guy, mainly because he managed you know who. I don’t approve of him as manager, but he’s here now, and I am going to get behind the team and if it goes pear-shaped, which I expect, then I will be expecting changes.

I will add though that I would feel sorry for anybody managing this lot, and I would expect the exit doors to continue spinning as we say goodbye to manager after manager without there being changes to the squad. However, no matter what, managers are expected to do a job and I guess he thinks he can do it. We will see.

When he's proved me wrong. He hasn't yet - all he's shown me is that he will buy mediocre players and lose football matches.

He changes that, I'll change my mind.
You make that a condition of supporting the team? You dont just support them anyway?!?!

The club has vastly underperformed just about in every aspect on and off the pitch over the last 7 years. Then the heirarchy decide too malt a wildly unpopular and divisive choice to lead the team this season and, apparently, don't back him.

But we're meant to blindly follow this without question or criticism because this is our club?
Give or take 23 years...

You say the fault lines have been around for a while. Reckon most would agree.

What grinds my gears are the immature Fat Pig Oink stuff at the one bloke who has had zero responsibility for any of it.

I totally get that some hate him, based on a comment many years ago, but judging before a ball has been kicked in anger just seems weird to me.

Personally, its an underwhelming appointment, (again), but the mess here is nothing of his doing.

Thing is mate, and it really annoys me tbh, folk not agreeing with that are branded as RB lovers or are defending him.

Many recognise the reality of the squad he has inherited, recognise that maybe the spending and daft contracts are now really hindering the club, and then lob in the stadium to boot. He may fluke a cup, he may turn a few players into better ones, who knows. But recognising the reality of EFC 2021 is miles away from thinking RB is anything other than an adequate/practical manager.

On your 1st point absolutely. I hope everyone can have a discussion without insulting phrases. I'm not a Benitez hater either, I can see some positives to the move. I am just trying to outline some criteria for what I would deem a positive season. But people who support the manager are entitled to their opinion and shouldn't come under criticism.

As for the 2nd point I agree, but it's not just happened this year has it? We have been increasingly limited over 2 or 3 years ever since that woeful Steve Walsh summer.

So far this summer, I'm not sure we have lost any 1st teamers but also havent added too many either. So not sure why we arent capable emulating a similar points performance to last season. I dont think it's an unreasonable target at this point. If we do sell a key player, targets can be amended accordingly.

You say the fault lines have been around for a while. Reckon most would agree.

What grinds my gears are the immature Fat Pig Oink stuff at the one bloke who has had zero responsibility for any of it.

I totally get that some hate him, based on a comment many years ago, but judging before a ball has been kicked in anger just seems weird to me.

Personally, its an underwhelming appointment, (again), but the mess here is nothing of his doing.

I agree with you mate, but when you take it out of context 99% of football behaviour is a bit dubious really. It sort of comes with the beast.

Who said anything about supporting the team? I said I'll change my opinion of the FSW on the conditions noted. I'll support Everton regardless, I just won't support him.
But this is what you respnded to:

There's loads of people doing it, not just them.

Fair enough, people have the right to vent. But when do we settle down and get behind the team? Now IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.