Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Begovic a pointless signing?

We needed a back up goalkeeper, we signed a back up goalkeeper.

Low wages, prem experience, happy to be #2. We cant afford to waste money on a back up goalie when we need to strength other areas more.

IF Virginia is in the squad he obviously has something, he hasnt looked too bad from what I`ve seen yet we have brought in a 34 year old keeper to stunt his growth/1st team appearances. If Begovic is the back up just get rid of Virginia, whats the point in keeping him?

Villa only stayed in the league a few seasons ago because someone forgot to turn the Hawkeye machine on.

I get that they’ve got an alright squad now, but they’re a yo-yo team that are currently going through a bit of a purple patch.

We are in a better position than them in the long term.
They are in a good place and are building well.
They are not a yo yo team and they will definitely threaten us this season.

IF Virginia is in the squad he obviously has something, he hasnt looked too bad from what I`ve seen yet we have brought in a 34 year old keeper to stunt his growth/1st team appearances. If Begovic is the back up just get rid of Virginia, whats the point in keeping him?
He might yet go out on Loan again... Don't think he played much at Reading did he last time?

We dont know what the plans are for Virginia, the only people who have seen him enough are the coaches at teh club and they may think he's not good enough cover for Pickford. Begovic as back up is absolutely fine.

Ideally Virginia goes out on loan, plays and has his sink or swim season. Squads do tend to have three keepers these days though. One of whom is usually an older keeper and one who is younger.

By no means is it pointless though.

Thats like standing in an empty room saying you've got the biggest cock - it means nothing when the squad has zero creativity.

However we still coped fine without him whereas we dont without Richarlison/Doucoure etc.

James goes and we replace him with two good players we wouldn't miss his half a season output whatsoever.
You're the one wanting creative players out and hard working drones bringing in. You complain about zero creativity in a post actively wanting James out of the squad. You are a complete parody.

Why is Begovic a pointless signing?

We needed a back up goalkeeper, we signed a back up goalkeeper.

Low wages, prem experience, happy to be #2. We cant afford to waste money on a back up goalie when we need to strength other areas more.

Because we need a backup keeper who can actually push Pickford.

If Pickford gets injured Begovic plays and he is awful.

Looking at the current squad on the official website, it looks like this :-

GKs
Pickford
Virginia
Begovic

Defenders
Kenny
Holgate
Keane
Digne
Mina
Nkounkou
Godfrey
Coleman
Branthwaite

Midfielders
Allan
Delph
Sigurdsson
Doucoure
Gomes
Gbamin
Davies

Fowards
Richarlison
Calvert-Lewin
Tosun
Iwobi
Rodriguez
Simms
Bernard
Gordon
Kean
Townsend

=29 players, how many of those are any good and can take us in to the European places?

IMO

Begovic (Pointless signing), Kenny, Coleman, Keane, Mina, Holgate, Delph, Sigurdsson, Gomes, Davies, Tosun, Iwobi, Townsend (Harsh but at 30 I dont think he is good enough to take us on) & Bernard all need clearing out = 15 players

Youngsters to keep as backup/breakthrough for me would be Virginia, Nkounkou, Branthwaite, Simms & Gordon = 10 players

From what I`ve said above our squad should be this to build around : Pickford, Digne, Godfrey, Allan, Doucoure, Gbamin (Give him a chance), Richarlison, DCL, Rodriguez & Kean.

To back up my argument that we have 10 players good enough to push us to Europe and maybe beyond you just need to look at last season. With our strongest 11 we could beat anyone, once these players listed were missing we were very very poor. We should be looking at players to take us to the next level instead of these bargain basement signings which is setting us up for 10th place again.

GKs
Pickford
Virginia
Begovic

Defenders
Holgate
Keane
Digne
Mina
Nkounkou
Godfrey
Coleman
Branthwaite

Midfielders
Allan
Doucoure
Gomes
Gbamin
Davies

Fowards
Richarlison
Calvert-Lewin
Iwobi
Rodriguez
Gray
Townsend

More like 22 players more like of you take out the players that will be gone

GKs
Pickford
Virginia
Begovic

Defenders
Holgate
Keane
Digne
Mina
Nkounkou
Godfrey
Coleman
Branthwaite

Midfielders
Allan
Doucoure
Gomes
Gbamin
Davies

Fowards
Richarlison
Calvert-Lewin
Iwobi
Rodriguez
Gray
Townsend

More like 22 players more like of you take out the players that will be gone
What you are suggesting is that we will almost certainly be able to shift Kenny, Delph, Sigurdsson, Tosun, Simms, Bernard, Gordon and Kean (the players missing from your list). We haven't been able to shift that many players in 2 years but we're suddenly going to be able to do it in a window where clubs finances have been shattered by covid? We will shift 2 or 3 from that list the rest will still be here on their massive wages.

Because we need a backup keeper who can actually push Pickford.

If Pickford gets injured Begovic plays and he is awful.

Hes not awful though is he.

Also gotta think who's gonna wanna come who is quality knowing Pickford is ahead of him in the pecking order almost indefinately, also need to be on low wages and cheap/free. It's a back up goalkeeper to one who has a very good fitness record. We have much bigger concerns.

Obviously in an ideal world where we havent spunked tonnes of money on garbage, we'd have been able to sing a promosing goalkeeper who has big ambitions and potential, but it's just not possible right now.

And given the fact that Benitez's plan next year is clearly going to be to swing crosses into DCL, Moyes style, what are we going to do for plan B? Well we'll need a playmaker for that, someone with vision, like . . . oh yeah James Rodriguez. We simply could not attract a better player of that ilk.

I know we need more pace and aggression in the team, but every post of yours reads like you are desperate to turn us into another Burnley! Get a grip fella, a club like ours shouldn't even contemplate getting rid of a bit of magic like James. He could really be the difference for us next year. A lot of fellow average to poor sides like us would kill for a player like him!

Plenty of creative players out there who can also keep fit, tackle, press, have pace.

I reckon he needs a loan move. He's put in a couple of good performances for us but he needs to be number 1 somewhere with all the extra responsibility that comes with that. Most top goalies do that as far as I'm aware

Status
Not open for further replies.