New Everton Stadium Discussion

Maybe.

The other side of the argument for me is that the attraction of the stadium location was partly due to it being on a waterfront that was a World Heritage Site.

It's still going to be a spectacular waterfront and Everton's stadium will benefit from that, but it would have been a plus if we could have boasted that.
Yes I always use this as a guide when I'm planning away trips.
"Burnley?. . . . . FFS, won't be going to that game lads, Turf Moor isn't even a bleedin' World Heritage Site."

Yes I always use this as a guide when I'm planning away trips.
"Burnley?. . . . . FFS, won't be going to that game lads, Turf Moor isn't even a bleedin' World Heritage Site."
That's certainly how I do it. Do the same with all my holidays too - I'm sure all the tourists to Liverpool do it as well:

“I love the Beatles… I’m going to go and visit their hometown”
“Oh nice, where are they from?”
“That’s the thing, I have no idea! I know they’re from somewhere that used to have World Heritage status, but since that got taken away, the information’s just fallen out of my head!”

it's also worth noting that, unlike most world heritage sites, the docks were never built to be permanent or unchanging.
They were/are part of a growing changing city. It's completely unrealistic to expect the whole waterfront of a big city to be a museum. And not just a museum but a museum that no one could afford to maintain. If private development sensitive to the history of the area never happened, places like BMD would eventually crumble in to the Mersey.
Seems to me, there could be an opportunity for the city to work with the UN to come up with a new designation that would facilitate a growing city and not stifle it. Maybe a UN Living Heritage site or something.

I can tell you as someone who lives across the pond, up until the past year I never knew that the area was a Unesco Heritage Site, and that such a thing as a World Heritage Site existed I would never visit a place based on that as that seems incredibly stupid, rather than actual reasons to visit a city. Maybe people in Europe view things differently and actually arrange their visits around Unesco, but somehow I doubt that.

My point was that no one visits because of the UNESCO World Heritage label, not even UNESCO…who the council say haven’t visited the city in ten years……
Ah ok, that last part was what I was looking for. That’s insane that they’ve taken this decision having not visited in that long.

The thing is, people kept on saying nothing would happen. It has though.

Let's just hope it doesn't affect investment in any way.
Most of what I read accepted that it probably would happen, but so what if it did. Regenerating the whole dock land area and creating 10s of thousands of new jobs is surely more important to the people of the city.

It's a shame to lose it because it was like a badge of honour. But all the fantastic buildings and heritage is still there and people will still flock to see it.

International cruise liner terminal already planned and will be at the north end of Princes Dock with a hotel opposite. And there is zero chance of an arena/convention/exhibition centre when we've literally just built all of those at Kings Dock.

Can have more than one cruise facility but get your point about the exhibition centre.

I've been to all those places mate, apart from Canterbury, and they are beautiful cities with a lot of history and heritage. But none of them house anywhere near the number of grade 1 and 2 listed buildings that Liverpool does. At it's height literally one half of world trade went through our port, and it was the staging post for emigration to what is now the richest country in the world, including nearly half of the Irish population. Americas first sky scrapers were based on Liverpool buildings and Central Park based on the one in Birkenhead.

Liverpool may have come late to the party but don't underestimate it's importance and the imprint it left on the world.
Mate, there’s so much wrong in that one post alone. Congratulations.