Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the feeling he'll do well here, for no other reason than it doesn't really make sense. We tend to do our best when it doesn't really make sense.

Thanks for reading.

I hope he does brilliant, it’s in our interest for him to do so. As much I feel bemused with Everton to say the least, the board , the jobs for the boys stuff, I don’t want to see a repeat of Chelsea where he’s booed heavily right from the start. We need to start somewhere on the right path to success because I’m really tired of these false dawns, seasons petering out to f’all.

I think there are two ways he can endear himself.

The first naturally being positive results, the second, his ability to clean out this mentally weak squad and/or fix it.

Having read a lot into his style in the last couple of weeks or so, I am really confident that he will do the second. We are crying out for that.

The first is up in the air, if Moshiri supports him in the window and we only lose James and add 2/3 quality players (RB and RW, plus CM) then he can bring results.

I despise he coached them, but now for right or wrong, he is one of us, so until he gives me a reason otherwise, I'll be backing him in.

UTFT

I believe White Sox and Cubs fans detest each other, as do Red Sox and Yankees. I remember reading tourist advice for Boston that said don't wear a Yankees cap or shirt when visiting. Sounds like it could get ugly there.
I am a Red Sox fan. I live in Brooklyn and I work in Manhattan. I wear a Red Sox cap or shirt all the time. Wore a Red Sox polo to work in Monday after the Sox swept a three game series over the weekend. No trouble.

Once leaving Yankee Stadium after the Yanks beat the Sox on Opening Day the Yankee fans were chanting “BOSTON SUCKS” and I felt slightly worried but not in real danger.

Look at any photo or video of a Sox - Yanks game. You will see the colors mixed in the stands. You might get a nasty comment or maybe beer poured on your head but most likely good natured stick or no react at all.

There is no cordon from the train station to the stadium to seat all the away fans together behind multiple rows of stewards for their protection. There just isn’t the same kind of almost tribal feeling with a history of violence in the backdrop. There is no singing, there is no such thing as banning guys in uniform shirts from bars because fights might break out. Not to stereotype English fans for the history of aggro or take a high road, we’re Americans, we can’t go a week without shooting up a grocery store or attacking the Capitol FFS, but for good or ill our sports affiliations are not our clans.

An American fan would be baffled to watch the Goodison year end tribute to people who passed away in the year, with ordinary supporters mixed in with former players, coaches, etc. They’re all Blues, or Evertonians, of stature, whether it’s a man who played for the club or just a housewife or teacher who sat in the Gwladys for 40 years. The Chicago Bulls don’t consider some guy who owned season tickets and worked at a auto plant to be a “Bull” on a footing with Michael Jordan, a member of the same clan. Just doesn’t compute.

My first exposure was as a student in London in 1989 or ‘90, unwittingly going to meet a friend in what I didn’t realize was the area near the old White Hart Lane, right around the time that a Spurs-Arsenal game was getting out. I had no clue what was on but I was overwhelmed and genuinely scared. And as much as an American might love his team (especially his college team in some parts of the country) we just don’t have that.

No Everton fan needs to provide a reason to justify not wanting an ex-RS manager at the club.

no reason whatsoever.

to try and force them to do so is both insulting and offensive.
So Carlo now this. 2 champions league winners you have and will relentlessly be hounding out-of the club. If you get your wish again our next manager will undoubtedly be a no mark. Would it not be good for the mind and life as a blue to actually wish success for us. Maybe be in a good condition so that when its time to chose a different manager we have them lining up at the door? Cause we sack this one early doors its going to be an even more pathetic manager search than the one just gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.