New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Duncan. He's a great character - and, say what you like, he did tend to turn up against our so-called betters - if not against the rank and file who we play most weeks. Duncan may very well be a good coach. I have no issue with that. But I can't see how he could be in the running for our manager's job when he has no track record. He should go down the leagues and prove himself there. Even a good stint in the Championship would make him a compelling front runner for our job when it next comes up. You are absolutely right. Until he does that, we will never know. But, realistically, it would be a reckless punt by our club to give him our job unproven.

Right now, there is nobody "in-house" who is a plausible contender for the Everton manager's job. Duncan should make it his goal to be that man for when Benitez gets the bullet.
Rightly or wrongly the club will do everything to keep Duncan within the management structure ,if Duncan say's now's the time for me to try elsewhere the job that benitez has would get even harder

Why is Ferguson going to be assistant?

The club MUST be forcing this on whoever comes in.

Also if we're going to have an ex-red in, I'd genuinely prefer Gerrard. He's a winner and will be a top manager one day.

Probably because the club are in a better position than you to judge what he offers as an assistant
Sure.

This is a forum, a forum is for discussion and opinions. Ultiamtely nobody on here knows better than the club so if we followed your train of thought we may as well close this place down.

Everton have a history of 'jobs for the boys'. I have nothing personal against Ferguson but I dont see why he would be pushed upon a new manager (again). They even gave CA two assistants to force Duncan on him. A manager should have choosing of his own staff and it's not like he has done anything to suggest that he is, or is going to be a top coach, nevermind assistant. DCL praises him as did Lukaku I think, so keep him as a coach if needs be.

We’ve seen this pattern over and over, Rafael will come in, results will improve everyone will feel that it’s working for a few months.

He’ll get to the stage where he wants to make structural changes throughout the rest of the club and the feel good factor will disappear like a fart in the wind, results will mysteriously nose dive.

Rafael gets the sack, rumours of bad coaching or personality problems surface, Rafael takes 100% of the blame, the new back room people depart and the old back room people stay on. Rinse and repeat.

All done and dusted by January I'd guess

Rightly or wrongly the club will do everything to keep Duncan within the management structure ,if Duncan say's now's the time for me to try elsewhere the job that benitez has would get even harder
True. But is Duncan happy being Benitez's mudguard? If he were truly ambitious, he'd be planning to make Benitez's job as difficult as possible by branching out himself to a Championship or League One club, proving himself there and becoming the anointed one when Rafael gets the door.

Right now, staying as number two suits Rafael, the club, and...Duncan Ferguson - if Duncan is actually "settled" and has decided that this is what he is: a useful side-kick.

We know Benitez is thick-skinned, he'll need to be. But why not use that to stamp at least some of a mark on the club? I don't have a particular issue with his credentials, but like Ancelotti, is he up for a fight here? That's my doubt.

If there is talk of a divided board, I assume it's Kenwright that's opposed and letting that be known. But he won't walk until the stadium is completed and he'll claim it as his work. The club is ridden with office politics that's the issue.

I was trying to remember a quote as well this morning, from my schooldays, about so much suffering goes to waste / don't let suffering go to waste. Everton / Benitez reminded me of it today.

He is coming here, why not pick a few fights to show his earnestness in taking the job? Fights that need to be fought. He can never win over a substantial following anyway. He is I assume a multi-millionaire. He has literally nothing to lose by giving it a proper go here, apart from the ire of the RS that is. Just manage the club in the fullest sense, and tell us if you're being blocked in doing so.

We know Benitez is thick-skinned, he'll need to be. But why not use that to stamp at least some of a mark on the club? I don't have a particular issue with his credentials, but like Ancelotti, is he up for a fight here? That's my doubt.

If there is talk of a divided board, I assume it's Kenwright that's opposed and letting that be known. But he won't walk until the stadium is completed and he'll claim it as his work. The club is ridden with office politics that's the issue.

I was trying to remember a quote as well this morning, from my schooldays, about so much suffering goes to waste / don't let suffering go to waste. Everton / Benitez reminded me of it today.

He is coming here, why not pick a few fights to show his earnestness in taking the job? Fights that need to be fought. He can never win over a substantial following anyway. He is I assume a multi-millionaire. He has literally nothing to lose by giving it a proper go here, apart from the ire of the RS that is. Just manage the club in the fullest sense, and tell us if you're being blocked in doing so.

You're right that's what needs to happen but we've got to be realistic, he needs to try and sort out the football mess he's inherited first.

Like Ancellotti he knows the club is dysfunctional, everyone in football does. I don't think it's office politics so much, more the people we've got running the club who aren't that good.

I love Duncan. He's a great character - and, say what you like, he did tend to turn up against our so-called betters - if not against the rank and file who we play most weeks. Duncan may very well be a good coach. I have no issue with that. But I can't see how he could be in the running for our manager's job when he has no track record. He should go down the leagues and prove himself there. Even a good stint in the Championship would make him a compelling front runner for our job when it next comes up. You are absolutely right. Until he does that, we will never know. But, realistically, it would be a reckless punt by our club to give him our job unproven.

Right now, there is nobody "in-house" who is a plausible contender for the Everton manager's job. Duncan should make it his goal to be that man for when Benitez gets the bullet.
United fans may have once said that about OGS, and yet...

Probably because the club are in a better position than you to judge what he offers as an assistant
They probably are, but again it's not unfair to question the process because it is quite peculiar for one coach to be consistently part of the first team staff.

Is he someone the board, or certain individuals of the board, want in the playing staff hierarchy to help liaise with those above? Is it purely down to merit?

I don't know the answers to be fair nor can I comment on his coaching abilities, yet it does raise eyebrows.

Sure.

This is a forum, a forum is for discussion and opinions. Ultiamtely nobody on here knows better than the club so if we followed your train of thought we may as well close this place down.

Everton have a history of 'jobs for the boys'. I have nothing personal against Ferguson but I dont see why he would be pushed upon a new manager (again). They even gave CA two assistants to force Duncan on him. A manager should have choosing of his own staff and it's not like he has done anything to suggest that he is, or is going to be a top coach, nevermind assistant. DCL praises him as did Lukaku I think, so keep him as a coach if needs be.
Why have you said they MUST be forcing him on any manager Do you know this for a fact

I read about Nuno that he insists on working with his own people and sees anyone outside his players and coaches as outsiders.

Clubs like Palace and Everton run a mile from that.
Clubs like Everton and Palace.
Go on then, tell us some clubs don't?

The problem as I see it is that the nomenklatura appointed by Usmanov to do his bidding get their "insight" from Kenwright and his hangers-on. So we have fabulously wealthy hard-nosed, ruthless businessmen who know nor care nothing for the history and culture of the club taking soundings from people who have spent 25 years manipulating a fanbase into thinking pluckiness, knowing our place, sentimentalism, and mediocrity are our values.

Is it any wonder they don't "know" what the fans think. But, to be fair, I am suspicious of whether "the fans" know what they want. They've been brainwashed over the last 25 years into accepting that Everton is - and should always be - a charity with a football playing department tacked on at the side. In that sense, I can't get too worked up over the appointment of Benitez. Get a similarly proven manager with a better record than him and I'm on board. But all the "punts" that are being proposed instead are just that...punts with "potential". The politburo running our club are not going to jeopardise their investment on a punt. We have no proper fan representation on that board today - Kenwright is NOT "one of us" - and so we end up with Benitez almost to spite him. This is what happens when "the voice of the fans" on that board recommends David Moyes and his ilk as the solution to all of our managerial problems. At some point, the real decision makers realise that there is little credibility in suggestions from those quarters and go full-on nuclear. The board needs a clear out.
I completely agree. This is a dogs breakfast of a club with no clear strategy.

I did think earlier on in the process when Nuno was in the frame that at least the coaching side of things might be in for a massive shake up with the arrival of a large entourage to displace the wasters we have here now. However, the reversion to Benitez, with no doubt minimal change for the strata below first team manager, will put off that day of reckoning for years more to come.

And you're right: the absentee landlord owners either cant appreciate - or dont want to take the time to appreciate - that the real issue on managerial churn is that the culture of the club itself (where competitive edge is demoted in favour of 'The People's Club and the communal side) will defeat every well intentioned move by any manager to make us a force on the pitch. I call it the Everton Social Club, and it's as good an approximation of what we are - and where we are - as any.

All roads with this present ownership lead to the protection of the stadium scheme. They think at best medium term, but in reality for us it's short term: protect the PL status of the club, get the stadium built, sell up. The managerial merry-go-round will continue because of it. We'll see a couple of more changes in management before we get to the BMD.

All this does make me wonder whether FSW is our backup plan and our main target is at the Euro's? Otherwise, surely it would be announced by now?

Status
Not open for further replies.