New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m genuinely a bit sad. I didn’t think anything could stop me going to the game but I feel like this may be the straw that broke the camels back. I know football clubs are just billionaires playthings now, but for the first time I feel like my connection to Everton has been broken. I’m sure the club won’t care while the tv moneys rolling in, but they might regret this when it all goes south.

Can someone with a Times sub kindly post the article?
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...fer-to-become-everton-s-new-manager-s09q5dj3g

Paul Joyce
Wednesday June 16 2021, 8.00pm, The Times

Rafael Benítez held further talks with senior Everton figures today and is expecting to be formally offered the manager’s job.

The former Liverpool manager has now had three rounds of discussions with owner Farhad Moshiri and members of the Goodison Park hierarchy over the past week, having moved in front of Nuno Espírito Santo as the frontrunner to replace Carlo Ancelotti.

The negotiations have been described as positive with Benítez, who managed Liverpool between 2004 and 2010 winning the Champions League and the FA Cup. His appointment would be the most contentious in Everton’s history.

Nuno, the former Wolverhampton Wanderers manager, was in a similar position last week following discussions of his own and an offer was not forthcoming, so a degree of caution must remain.

Everton have now completed the process of interviewing candidates, having also considered Belgium coach Roberto Martínez about a return to the club, and are evaluating their next move.

However, there is now strong momentum behind Benítez, 61, with members of the Everton board believing his coaching credentials and work ethic can move the club forward.
Benítez, who was appointed Liverpool manager 17 years ago today, has been out of work since leaving Chinese side Dalian Professional in January and believes his methods can secure the results needed to quell the disapproval his appointment would prompt among some supporters who remember him describing Everton as a “small club” during his Anfield tenure.
There was similar displeasure among Chelsea supporters when Benítez was appointed as interim manager in November 2012 for the rest of the season.
However, Benítez guided the club to a top-four finish and also won the Europa League, beating Benfica in the final.

Everton have considered a wide range of candidates, but missed out on first choice when David Moyes committed his future to West Ham United and opted against a return to the club where he was in charge between 2002 and 2013.
There has also been support for Belgium coach Martínez, who was sacked by Moshiri in May 2016 sparking a period of instability at Everton which has resulted in the billionaire business now looking to appoint a fifth permanent manager since then.
Ronald Koeman, Sam Allardyce, Marco Silva and Ancelotti followed Martínez with Benítez now expecting the chance to follow them.

The crowd will turn on Benitez in an instant. There will be no period of grace. It'll be toxic from the outset.

The worst part is that his best days are behind him. We are just giving one last huge pay day to a man with no class or respect for us as a club. It's pathetic.

Exactly.

He will have to hit the ground running….maintain that form in a way Koeman and Ancelotti couldn‘t after good starts….and either win a trophy or at least finish in the European positions, all in his first season.

Otherwise the metaphorical cushions will come raining down from the Top Balcony by Halloween.

Some ask :pint2:

So be it. If he proves not good enough, so be it.

Maybe just maybe if he was still a top level then I could put the issues it's going to create within the fan base to one side but he's been in decline for years - hence the clubs he's found himself at in recent times.

I'd genuinely take one of the no marks you mentioned over this because the perception it's going to create when the fans try to hound him out of the club won't be pleasant.

The sooner fans realise its just a job for players and managers the better it will be for everyone.

Wayne boyhood blue Rooney left us for the club who sing feed the scousers

Ross I love Everton Barkley screwing the club out of £20 million and shaving off his EFC tattoo

Carlo I love Crosby Ancelotti doing a runner at the first opportunity.

Benitez or Nuno - both underwhelming but at least Benitez has trophies under his belt.

Roberto Martinez was the Architect of our fall from grace post Moyes and should never be welcome back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.