New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most gutted I've ever been about something Everton related.

Even fat Sam wasn't as bad as we all KNEW it was a 6 month keep us up job.

Ah what
The Sam appointment was perfectly logical in what it was: a desperate measure to ensure we would not be relegated. Sam did what he was hired to do. He should have been thanked for his services that May, but we strung him out for no apparent reason. But, at the time of hiring, it had logic.

The Nuno appointment, if it occurs, just strikes me as a "quick, we need a manager - any manager!" decision. I'm sure he's perfectly competent and all that, but what does he really bring to the club? Carlo brought star power and drawing power as well as decades of experience. He raised our profile. Nuno brings none of these qualities. He's the ultimate "meh" appointment. His CV is very modest. That would be excusable in a younger, promising manager, but not in a 47-year old who has been around the block.

Most of our managers get the good wishes of our crowd when they join. Nuno, at best, will get polite applause. There's nothing to get enthusiastic about, no track record of even faded or distant past success to appeal to the dreamers, no optimism that comes with promising youth. This is a middle-aged appointment for a mid-table club looking to stay in mid-table.

Lots of disappointment on here tonight, I'm not surprised, this is the Alex Iwobi of managerial signings. Unambitious and lazy scouting.

However, in Nuno's defence (cos somebody oughta):

– He is a nice guy with a very likeable personality
– This is a massive step up for him and will be eager to prove himself
– He did well with Wolves, up til last season when he lost their only proper striker
– Wolves fans I know were sad to see him go, but appreciated things had gone stale. They played great football at times apparently.
– He has close ties with Jorge Mendes, who might squirrel away a young Portuguese winger for us
– Unlike Conte and any higher profile manager (including that rat Ancelotti), he's more likely to stick around and build something with us

On the whole though, this is pretty underwhelming, but at least it's not Graham Potter or Eddie Howe.

What a terrible appointment if true.

Removing management ability to the side he clearly didn't want to be here and is being given a fat pay cheque to turn up, what example does that send after Ancelotti particularly for a manager whose not even in the same realm of coaching credentials.

I've not been particularly excited by the prospect of Potter either but i'd take him every day of the week if he genuinely wanted to be here over another mercenary getting a fat pay day.
A mercenary?! Wolves sacked him after 3 great years and one iffy one with loads of mitigating circumstances.

He messed palace around because he wanted us.

Status
Not open for further replies.