New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Potter favourite on skybet

Screenshot_2021-06-08_151343.jpg

Very different. Wolves fans thought they were bigtime when they came up and were doing well. Saw a lot of them saying they were bigger than Everton now blah blah blah.
Plus they're from the midlands. They're always angry.

Very true that - met a bird in Rhyl who was from the Midlands and thought she was going to rip my head off when I told her I was heading back to Merseyside at the end of my holibobs.

“I understand that while results are what they are, then people can have a different opinion and I respect that. That is football, that is life, we’re not always going to agree,” said Potter.

“It is hard when people from your own club criticise you, I think. That is hard. But you have to respect that because they care for the club, they want it to do well, and that is also fair.

“I don’t go on social media – I think that’s quite dangerous for someone in my position.

“Obviously I answer questions from you guys (the media) and you get a sense of the narrative.

“With any criticism you have to understand: Is it fair? Is it unfair? Is it educated? Or is it just an opinion? Is it balanced? Where has it come from? Sometimes criticism is fair. Sometimes it isn’t.

“I am not sitting here thinking I know everything and get everything right. That’s not how I think the world works.”

Headline is misleading imo.

Brighton fan in peace.
I agree with the posters who say "Everton are too big for him" is just guesswork. Of course you're a much bigger club, I've no issue with calling my club small but there's no real logic to the 'too big' tag. It's possible he's capable of this step up just as it's possible he could fall out with the chairman. None of us know the likelihood of either so why place so much emphasis on just one risk? These glass ceilings holds English football back. It's why Allardyce, Warnock, Pardew, Bruce keep getting jobs and young coaches esp. black coaches don't get a look in. It's why Top 6 don't like recruiting Englishmen. Risk averse clubs going for what they know and what their rivals do.

It doesn't get much more intimidating than Rangers but Gerrard's done fantastic work. And it's his 1st job (I think). Rangers fans wax lyrical about how he's been a breath of fresh air with new ideas and approach. Yes, it's a 2-horse race but even taking that into account, he's worked wonders.

As others have said, the next boss will be supported by Ferguson who knows the culture of the club inside out and the idea that any player could bully a coaching staff with him at the top seems far-fetched. And Potter may look soft but so did Sir Bobby Robson. I'm not saying you should appoint someone who comes from a smaller club or that preferring someone with more experience at your level is lazy thinking. Just that I don't think the step up is any bigger risk than a dozen other reasons and it creates glass ceilings.

Saying all that, I've no idea if Potter would be the best candidate. I don't know enough about the other candidates, I've no interest in European football. A lifetime supporting a club in the lower leagues can do that. Just don't pick Benitez please. I'm happy with my club being called small because it is. It's disrespectful to chuck it at a founder member, longest time in top flight and all those trophies.
Really good interesting post Steven.
There are a number of issues that I have with your boy
1. I'm not sure that he has the gravitas or personality to impose himself on our squad. In short our bunch of losers and wasters will walk all over him
2. There are other far better qualified coaches available.
3. Brighton have had the same problem for some time ( play neat football but can't score) and he had failed to address this.
4. Apparently he struggles to cope with criticism. God help him at a big club.
5. His lack of charisma , achievement and standing in the game would make him a very underwhelming choice particularly after the Ancelotti debacle. To that end he will be starting in a difficult position, trying to win over sceptical fans.

All in all I think we can and should do better. That is not to say that he is a bad coach or without merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.