New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
but he’d come here and have a side who he needs to motivate, for the first time in his career... can he do that?

And that is my one main issue with him. He has polished turds who knew they were turds, not turds who think they are bars of gold already.

The most loyal manager we had took us from relegation candidates each year to European contenders most seasons and only left us to further his career at a massive club after it was clear Everton had hit their glass ceiling, who can blame him? All Evertonians apparently, I dont agree with the way it ended but we all make mistakes dont we? Loyalty is a 2 way street and the manager who was most loyal for 14 years is the last man this fanbase wants in charge again. I bet he would crawl across hot coles to come back as well.... not just for the colour of Farhads cash like other previous managers!
Yeah, Everton had hit their ceiling...but so had Moyes. He's a fine manager if finishing 6th to 12th is your bag. He didn't last five minutes at an elite club and has a very hit or miss record at non-elite clubs (us and West Ham are positive to a point, but Sunderland and Real Sociedad are big misses). On balance, he is the best of the mediocrities who operate on English football's managerial merry-go-round. I don't blame Moyes for leaving us - I thought he was past his best three years earlier - but his ceiling is far too low to allow us to properly dream. I don't see the point of supporting Everton if our ceiling is 6th place at best. I don't see much difference between 6th and 14th, to be honest - especially as, with Moyes, there will never be a win away at a big club or a cup to ease the pain. Moyes would be a stagnant choice, a comfortable pair of old socks that have seen better days.

At my age, 48, I need to dream of nice football and the slim hope of a cup. Moyes offers none of that to me, but I accept that everyone is different. He is competent but deeply conservative and he's not going to attract the types of player our financial power might open the door to if a more alluring manager was in charge.

Leaning towards Rangnick now of all options that have been mentioned. I don't care about age, managers don't often stay for a long time anyway. He understands a project and how to instill a vision. He would fully understand our place in the Premier League pecking order and has always targeted young players with a lot of potential who have not yet broken out. It's interesting to hear him talk strategy - I think his style would translate super well to the Prem. The big question is whether he and Brands can co-exist. Seems like he would be taking a step down as a manager reporting to another DOF, but roles can always be amended slightly to make it work. It's not like Brands has the only hand on the steering wheel as it is.
He wouldn't work with Brands. A man like that is not going to work for an inferior.

He just reminds me a lot of Martinez on and off the field. What he did at Östersunds, on the field and off it.

But it’s as you say, it’s a bit “dull”, and that’s my concern, we’ve gone from Ancelotti to another project snd a significantly smaller name.

My other concern, he’s hyped everywhere across the media, and by fans for his positive attitude, but is that because he’s English? Or is it because they actual mean it?

He’s built a team who believe in his philosophy, and has a great partnership with Dan Ashworth, but he’d come here and have a side who he needs to motivate, for the first time in his career... can he do that?
Only time would tell. If he got the job, it would likely have meant we engaged in a process of sorts though, and he came through it.

They aren't going to be banging down his door, and that's right. He'd have to sell himself in the old fashioned way in an interview process presuming he was interested.

We need a process like that. Someone sitting down with Moshiri and the others and convincing them they are worthy of a chance.

Not another episode of Moshiri asking for the most expensive item on the menu and taking that regardless.

It reminds me of a line from the West Wing once, when Bartlet was choosing his Supreme Court nominee. "You weren't the first choice but you are the right choice and the final choice". We need something like that.

"If I'd been Everton manager and Sir Alex had come asking for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini, I'd have found it very difficult to keep them because I always felt the right thing to do was what was right for the players...I signed every player at Everton, so I know a lot about them. The bid, from Manchester United's point of view, was a private thing and if and when we make a new offer we'd keep that offer private and confidential as well. The transfer window is open and we can make bids and you can say 'Yes or no', it's as simple as that. You are allowed to bid. That's not our choice [to make it public]. That's up to them. You need to ask them that question. All we can do is do our job here. Roberto is in a new job and I'm sure he'll get to understand how Everton work. I know exactly how Everton work. I think I've signed every player at Everton. I know exactly how they work" - David Moyes, 23rd August 2013.

Never forgive or forget what this vile creature said about Everton or how he acted.

I refused to give him applause in the game after he agreed to join utd AND was still on the touchline managing Everton. I couldnt get it out of my head why are you still here. You made your choice. Give the game to jimmy martin anyone i dont care. We came over as small time. Could you imagine that lot over the park applauding a manager going to a rival in a rival city. We may have fallen short of on pitch rival but im still young enough to remember battering them as the champions of England. And here we were saying off you go david. Good luck.
Door hadnt hit his arse on the way out and he was back trying to get two Everton players for a pittance.
Did a decent enough job at the club but he was always dropping in the you should be grateful to me jibes. That never ever sat well with me.

I know times are different, (but are they really that different?), but our finest modern day manager arrived as a player from Blackburn, and arguably our most consistent PL manager came from Preston.

Our last trophy winning manager came from Oldham.

Sometimes its a fit. Its unscientific which will boil the stat lads wee, but would a Potter or a Dyche "fit" modern Everton with the old values that we all still know? Not unconvinced if I am honest.

Tough call either way, which this time, for a lot of $$$$ reasons, cant be wrong, and lets face it, we havnt been that right for a while.

I know times are different, (but are they really that different?), but our finest modern day manager arrived as a player from Blackburn, and arguably our most consistent PL manager came from Preston.

Our last trophy winning manager came from Oldham.

Sometimes its a fit. Its unscientific which will boil the stat lads wee, but would a Potter or a Dyche "fit" modern Everton with the old values that we all still know? Not unconvinced if I am honest.

Tough call either way, which this time, for a lot of $$$$ reasons, cant be wrong, and lets face it, we havnt been that right for a while.
We’ve never won anything without having an Ex Everton player as our manager.

And that is my one main issue with him. He has polished turds who knew they were turds, not turds who think they are bars of gold already.

I just think, for me, that’s the big test.

Its became clear that Ancelotti wasn’t really invested, but doesn’t mask now that playeds like Sigurdsson have now been managed by 5 managers and they can’t move out of first gear.

He went to Östersunds and absolutely transformed the team and the town, the club was the community, he’s went to Brighton, made very it clear what his plans were, ahd stuck to it, the players like him, but they’re not entitled, like ours are.

I guess we’d have to take the gamble to find out, but he doesn’t strike me as a person who can kick it to the players... which was exactly like Martinez was.

Remember a few years ago we had posters and the media telling us Eddie howe was the next big thing. Would manage a top 6 club and England . I see Potter as been very similar
Potter hasnt spent much at Brighton at all though. Howe wasted millions on Solanke and other RS non entities for a huge outlay by their standards and he did take them down in the end. He had only had been at Burnley outside of Bournemouth which didn't work out either. He couldn't settle there I think.

Potter offers potential. That's all it is in reality. But at least there is something to suggest he has not hit a ceiling. If we aren't getting the elite managers of the world, that plus his existing experience and potential isn't the worst option at all to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.