2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Astonished it took either of you that long to figure it out. Did you both sleep through the end of the 90's and the start of the 2000's?
What I meant was that while we had acknowledged that we were over as a top club after the appalling late 90s, we still clung on to the hope that one of our own could come through the ranks, reignite the club, and give us some wonderful years. The sale of Rooney meant we couldn't even have that. The last vestige of romance was bludgeoned from us by the sale of an 18 year old genius. 18. Jesus wept.

If he goes (still a big if) and there’s no credible major underlying reason for it (e.g he can’t bring his own players in), then I’ll have lost any respect I had for him. It’s a cowards way out to run off to Madrid and pick up some more trophies rather than doing the hard work here.

It’s a major indictment of the club though if it does happen. A manager that Madrid would pay 20 mill to have back above any other was not able to get us higher than tenth because we once again lumbered him with the most cowardly asinine crap squad in football history.
I feel exactly the same way. If Ancelotti goes back to Madrid then he has no shame and I won't ever respect him again as a manager. Why would he go back to Madrid, specially after how Florentino dismissed him the last time he was there.

Indeed.

But when it was Big Sam, Silva, Koeman and Bobby in charge of “these gimps” no such apologism for mediocrity was put forward.

Instead we were all calling for their heads.

There is a weird notion around that all the dross we have witnessed since football returned after lockdown last season is attributable to everyone but Carlo.

Well, plenty of his team selections were proven to be poor and a lot of his tactics were demonstrably found wanting.

He is definitely a light of a former day and I cannot fathom how Real Madrid think he is the answer to their problems.

(if they have any, that is...I haven’t been following Spanish football recently :))

That's because those managers brought in all the absolute rubbish in our squad. They didn't deserve more time to bring in more poor players.

The players are the problem, not managers. The fact people still think managers are the issue at everton is truly baffling. We've been rubbish for my entire lifetime and there are more reasons for that than just who sits in the dugout.

Benitez isn't a bad coach, but I can't see him giving his all for us after his love affair with the rs.
These guys are mercenaries. I imagine he would use it as motivation. He's been an excellent manager, Rafael, but I think his time has passed now, and I don't think he has the pulling power of Carlo to compensate.

Tbf mate we said we couldnt go an out of work Carlo and we did. Could easily end up with a Conte/Poch type if the starts aligned particularly with Usmanov in the background.

I think Moshiri would be all over Biesla though after watching them this season.
The only slight good thing we have is, if Carlo goes then we will get a lot of money in comp so can thrown good money at these managers and try and get them in.

In fairness, does the fact 20% weren't happy with his performance mean that 20% want him out?

I'm not sure it does. I'd say there are people who are unhappy but would not want a mangerial change at this point. If anything, I'd say the proportion who don't want him is much lower than 1 in 5.

Well, 1 in 5 is 20%

How much lower are we talking?

I'd say if there was a poll last month on whether to sack him - 15%-25% would have said sack.

There was a poll someone started on here, an open poll with results viewable - that had 85.7% voting to keep him.

In our annual fan survey, with results out today - he had an 80.6% approval rating.

We can't escape the fact there's a significant amount who want him gone - absolutely remarkable.

The main bulk of peoples argument for why they don't want him to go seems to be worry the board are going to appoint a footballing terrorist to replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.