2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah agreed, if Baines and Pienaar couldn’t create something then we’d play it back it to Neville who would do his trademarked chipped ball up towards Cahill/Fellaini who’d then try and flick it on and hope something good happens. This was pretty much the game plan every single match.

Remember an FA cup game vs Birmingham where it was all we did for 90 minutes - just booting it up for Roger Johnson/Scott Dann to head away every single time.
Thank God we've left those days behind, and our infinitely more expensive team is now cutting swathes through the opposition every week. These days teams have no idea where our next attack will come from - or if it will even come at all.

I also recall the Villa away and Palace away games that year being incredibly fortunate. They both continually broke on us but missed everything the created. Good chances too, because defensively we were wide open.

Started to get punished further down the line. Notably Liverpool away, but particularly the following seasons.

I also forgot about Chelsea at home when we had one attack all game and won 1-0. There were definitely a few games where we completely took the game to the opposition and looked very good, Newcastle away, United at home, Arsenal home and away. But that’s really all it was, a few. You’d think from what people say on here we were this slick footballing machine that dominated all in its path for the entire season. We weren’t, we were very patchy.

I also forgot about Chelsea at home when we had one attack all game and won 1-0. There were definitely a few games where we completely took the game to the opposition and looked very good, Newcastle away, United at home, Arsenal home and away. But that’s really all it was, a few. You’d think from what people say on here we were this slick footballing machine that dominated all in its path for the entire season. We weren’t, we were very patchy.
Indeed. I don't think any team is utterly coherent 100% of the time or doesn't ride their luck.

There were so many games under Moyes we squeaked too. Its not a bad thing, ultimately if we win, we win. But it does seem all or nothing at times.

Yeah agreed, if Baines and Pienaar couldn’t create something then we’d play it back it to Neville who would do his trademarked chipped ball up towards Cahill/Fellaini who’d then try and flick it on and hope something good happens. This was pretty much the game plan every single match.

Remember an FA cup game vs Birmingham where it was all we did for 90 minutes - just booting it up for Roger Johnson/Scott Dann to head away every single time.
Yepp exactly this. Our football was dire without that left hand side.

Thank God we've left those days behind, and our infinitely more expensive team is now cutting swathes through the opposition every week. These days teams have no idea where our next attack will come from - or if it will even come at all.
Funny.

Difference being Moyes at that point had well more time than what Ancelotti has currently had, yet we still produced that hoof ball even with our best players on the pitch...

Funny.

Difference being Moyes at that point had well more time than what Ancelotti has currently had, yet we still produced that hoof ball even with our best players on the pitch...
There's absolutely no comparison between Ancelotti and Moyes as managers, it's embarrassing to even talk about them in the same breath. I'll never get my head round the way people think of Moyes though. We were rubbish before he came, we've been rubbish since he left, and yet the period people get most angry about is when we were actually pretty decent under him. It's very strange, but then so are people I suppose.

Agree with everything you quote. Honestly am not playing anybody up or down. Was sat on the fence when Carlo signed. Too many biased opinions on here regarding Carlo when Moyes is doing a lot better job with the squad he's got down there. Moyes did well on the whole with limited funds available under Bill compared to the investment now. IF we do get taken apart, just watch the quotes on here both during and after the game. Got to give Moyes credit for what he's achieved this season.

I agree and think the world were ready to write Moyes off for what he did at Utd when in my view, Fergie knew the club and team were about to start a decline and left at exactly the right time.

Moyes has been severely tarnished by what happened at United and even more so than other managers who came after him somehow.

I think Carlo and Moyes have a lot of similarities in that I find neither are the most pro-active managers in terms of making subs etc. However, their good points are that they can set up a team and in a season like this, organisation counts for everything.

I still think that it’s more on the players than Carlo for how bad we have been in the latter part of the season and I am confident that with another summer of Carlos input, we can make the progression we can all see we need. My overall thinking is that if we as fans can see what we need (power and pace) then I am sure Carlo can given his achievements and the fact he sees it all in training every day too.

Antonio is in form? He has missed the past month with an injury and before that had scored 2 in 10 games or 4 in 16 depending on what you prefer.

He scored two last week but if that's him being in form than so is DCL as he scored last game too.

A lot will depend on if Moyes sees us as a big game or not. If he does then we will win...

I watched the game and Antonio played really well and I have seen enough to them this season to know that even when he doesn’t score, Antonio is a handful so I stand by the fact that he will be a threat against us and we need someone like Mina in defence as his awareness of threats is so much better than Holgate who creates the threats himself!

There is plenty to debate about Carlo with. Not being Moyes surely can't be one of them tho. Moyes would never have gotten anywhere near the support the second go-round with us. He's doing great with West Ham this year, good for him. Doesn't mean he would have done anywhere near the same level with us at all.

What would you prefer a manager who beats all the crap sides but struggles against all the top teams away from home or a manager who is so unpredictable that you never know if you are going to win or lose against the worst and best sides in the league and constantly keeps you guessing

What would you prefer a manager who beats all the crap sides but struggles against all the top teams away from home or a manager who is so unpredictable that you never know if you are going to win or lose against the worst and best sides in the league and constantly keeps you guessing
Judging on how people felt under moyes and how people feel under Carlo the one that we have right now. Tends to be the one we don't prefer.

We said Carlo is a better manager, trophies say he is, not that he is unbeatable.
You live in the past. Trophies with the best teams in Europe 15 years ago tell you nothing. Watch the football played now. It is the most dreadful in the premier league. Low energy team, low energy manager, and players that are the slowest in the world.

SOME OF THE ANCELOTTI PRE MATCH WEST HAM P/C

James is out​

For this weekend we have back Doucoure. After the injury that he had, he recovered well.
He's available for the game. James Rodriguez is not

Carlo on Doucoure​

He showed fantastic quality & supported the team a lot when he played. It was a great surprise for us to have this player. To have him back for the next game will be really important

Carlo on West Ham​

I think it's a vital game because they're in a better position than us at the moment so the result will be really important. We want to put all our energy into this game to consider it vital for the end of the season

I think they have more confidence now compared to the start of the season. Last season was really difficult for them: they were close to relegation
They are doing a fantastic season & all the credit to David Moyes

Carlo on Response to Villa Defeat​

I think what happened was not the feeling that I had during training. The training was good before VIlla & we were not able to repeat. I think we worked all week to prepare well for this game, to have a good feeling & to try to win
We want to move up the table so it will be really important to have a result against West Ham

Comparison to past battles​

Ancelotti has won some of the game's biggest trophies in the past.
Asked how Everton's current quest for European football compares to those previous battles he's had, he says: "It's always the same at this time of the season.

Inconsistency troubles​

Carlo says that his side need to address their inconsistency at home but away they are nearly "perfect."

Squad building plans​

We have to analyse the season & after that, put the right adjustment in the squad to avoid the weaknesses & limits that we had

Carlo on Doucoure with and without​

I think with Doucoure we had fantastic results. Without him, we had more problems. He's one of our most important players.
I hope he can show this quality in the few games before the end

Carlo expects 'fantastic reaction'​

Ancelotti is asked if he's frustrated about not getting the most out of this squad.
He believes there will be a "fantastic reaction" against West Ham despite the disappointment against Aston Villa as this has been the story of the season.

Carlo on James Injury​

It is a little problem. He didn't train with the team this week. He trained alone following proper rehab. The plan is to start to train again at the beginning of next week He is not available. There is the privacy of the medical situation so I don't want to talk to you about it [ To that Colombian journalist]
I hope he will be available for the game against Aston Villa next week

Carlo on Fans​

Evertonians show a lot of love for this club, for these players. We hope to have all of them at Goodison Park as soon as possible because I'm sure with 30k calling [for us] at the stadium, we aren't going to lose as many games as we did this season

I prefer the manager who gives us the most points, and the best table position. All points count equally - except for the match against Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.