New Everton Stadium Discussion

This from Greg Okeefe in the Athletic

Don’t expect to see the diggers and cranes descend on the Bramley-Moore Dock straight away. Although plans can now progress for the club to begin work this summer, there are a few procedural formalities to conclude before then.

First, Everton will formally complete their purchase of the land at Bramley-Moore from its owners, the property and infrastructure giant Peel Holdings for a pre-agreed fee in the region of £22 million. The club and Peel signed a heads of terms agreement in March 2017, which was always set to be sealed upon planning approval. Next, they will formalise the status of Laing O’Rourke as their contractor, and draw up a detailed build schedule with an itinerary of dates, from the opening remedial work at the dock to completion.

What about the funding?

Everton have a shortlist of preferred partners from around the world to fund the stadium. They range from banks to investment funds. “It’s a very attractive proposition to investors,” says Frank McKenna, the founder of private-sector lobbying group Downtown in Business. “It’s on an iconic site with potential for more than just football — you could imagine the stadium hosting big artists like Beyonce, and it’s a development that investors will get a return on.

“Everton won’t be scrambling about for investors. I suspect they will be able to be selective and pick the best of a bunch.”

It could be a matter of weeks or a few months before the club announce their partner although it is believed one group is already in pole position.

What about the naming rights?

Everton announced last January that they had struck a deal with USM, the company owned by Farhad Moshiri’s business partner Alisher Usmanov, over naming rights.

It saw USM pay £30 million for the exclusive option of becoming the ground’s main sponsor; and included the initial terms of an agreement on a multi-year deal should they decide to trigger the option. In the coming weeks, Moshiri will be in touch with his friend Usmanov to discuss the next step.

Nah wait, it's been proven with "salient points" that no one is going to lend us a bean for the stadium.

So you cant read, cos thats not what I said, nor what you asked.

I havnt mentioned vaccines.

I have said that if it was announced "no crowds ever", it would not be a risk factor, cos it wouldnt get built. The risks are getting the annual payments, and your money back. If it does not get built, there is no risk.

I asked you a question about vaccines twice, but you did not respond. Maybe it is you that cannot read?

I've addressed the point that you make in the third paragraph and it's a very silly one. You accept that having "no crowds ever" would end stadia investment, and conclude that there would therefore be no risk. But what about stadia investment that is already in process? There would be a risk to their investment wouldn't there? Which is why I talk about the prospect of future viruses, and / or reoccuring bans.

Fair enough, I will accept your facts. The experts know that any future ban on stadia attendance poses absolutely no risk to those invested in stadia, or the companies that are pretty much the only ones that will make use of them. I certainly do not hope that the effects of this pandemic or any future ones would in any way invalidate your facts. And I genuinely, wholeheartedly, mean that.

They will care.

A bank will care if they are lending the money.

A group of individual investors would care if they group together and lend the money.

Even Usmanov will care if he lent the money but the stadia ended up being useless.

If they didn't care, they wouldn't bother with building one.
It’s four years away from being built. Those lending the money know they are taking a risk, almost every investment carries some risk. But I doubt Covid or any other pandemic would be in their thoughts unless they have a crystal ball that can see four years into the future.
The world will be back to normal in 12 months

When the banks granted me a mortgage they didn't care if I made a happy and successful home.
And they don't really care if you make the payments. They'll just take the house.

If we ever failed to make the payments, here's what would happen, imo...

Ownership of the ground would change, Everton would be relegated to league two as a punishment, and 30, 000 loyal fans like ourselves would be financing the renting of the stadium off the new owners by buying tickets and convincing ourselves we'll be back in the prem in no time.

What else would the they do with a footy stadium other than rent it to us?

There's no scenario that involves Everton not existing. We've got too many fans (cough, customers.)

I asked you a question about vaccines twice, but you did not respond. Maybe it is you that cannot read?

I've addressed the point that you make in the third paragraph and it's a very silly one. You accept that having "no crowds ever" would end stadia investment, and conclude that there would therefore be no risk. But what about stadia investment that is already in process? There would be a risk to their investment wouldn't there? Which is why I talk about the prospect of future viruses, and / or reoccuring bans.

Fair enough, I will accept your facts. The experts know that any future ban on stadia attendance poses absolutely no risk to those invested in stadia, or the companies that are pretty much the only ones that will make use of them. I certainly do not hope that the effects of this pandemic or any future ones would in any way invalidate your facts. And I genuinely, wholeheartedly, mean that.
I really hope that I will see Everton play at Bramley Moore before the alien invasion and Zombie Apocalypse happens! I wholeheartedly mean that.

Funding a stadium either as an investor or a lender will not be affected because we have got a vaccine.

Funding a stadium either as an investor or a lender will not be affected because we have got a vaccine.

Fair enough, I was unaware of the facts. I mistakenly thought that having a vaccination against a deadly virus may have had some kind of an effect on things like public health regulations and the type of thing that could cause a government to introduce a ban on attending stadia.