Match Thread Chelsea vs Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that isn't a fat Sam stat, then I don't know what is. Creating the third lowest chances in the league is an awful stat. Our brand of football is terrible and unless there's a huge clearout, we may get used to it. the brand of football isn't going to transform into Chelsea under this coach, not a chance.

I mean, we're 6th as it stands, we're doing alright. The point is, it could easily be better. even with the players we have but we need to have some attacking systems and we simply don't seem to be able to strike that balance.

That can't be just down to the players. The coaches have to improve that.

We've created two good chances in the last three games - put two of them away and got 6 points. I'm not counting DCL's miss v WBA as that was a fluke and won't go down on the official stats (just how it's counted really).

It is brilliant that we're so clinical and that we know how to defend. It shouldn't be too much of an ask for us to combine solidity with more creativity though.

We need powerful, aggressive and brave players on the ball to come in. That's on the recruitment team in the summer - it has to be done. But, in the meantime, we need to be getting more out of the quality attackers we have. They shouldn't be feeding off scraps all the time.

I didn’t expect anything tonight. The performances against Southampton and WBA worried me more (even though we got 6 points). We are not at the level to take on a bang in form Chelsea away from home at the moment. The way they are playing they could easily finish runners up to city. Let’s get Coleman, Doucoure and James fit for Burnley get 3 points in our quest for Europe.

whilst your moaning today was annoying, and I’m making fun of it as I thought it was silly and OTT, I don’t want you thinking I was making some dig at your pic as I wasn’t in any way
Thats what disappointment does to you, its the same statistics each game. Perhaps I dont always relay that in the correct manner, just as frustrated as everyone else I guess.

Dont worry, Ive got broad shoulders, lets move on....

Interesting.

Do you reckon he told them to move the ball around slowly and pass sideways and backwards?

Embarrassing is losing your last 6 home games on the bounce. Us sitting 5th 4 points on 4th having just been beaten by a much better side is not embarrassing.
This performance was far from embarrassing. Given the circumstances I thought they did better than expected and as Jim says given we are in the position we are it is very respectable and I would have begged to be in this position at the start of the season. Yes we need additions to the squad to strengthen for the next campaign but for now it is what it is and any kind of European qualification will be a bonus this year

We went to in form Chelsea with a squad, already thin, now ravaged by injuries. We lost 2:0, not the end of the world.
It's March, we're in with a shout of top 4 or more realistically Europa league qualification. We made the league cup quarter finals, we are in the FA Cup quarter finals.
We have come a long way in a short time under Carlo. Burnley next, if we can get a win against them, happy days again.
BTW Pickford was my MOTM, pity about the pen , but, he really saved us from.a hiding tonight.

Sir Jordan motm even with the rush of blood for the penno.

Story of the squad tonight, and shows that Carlo has done wonders to get us where we are currently. Can't wait to see what he does with a few more windows,with marcel doing his thing.

When players like James and doucoure ain't even on the bench were gonna struggle - add big Yezza and sheamo and we aren't far away from that expensively assembled chelski team, so no need to pee the bed.

We all know how the story ends when we have soggy (captain?!) and gomesh starting in our engine room.

Nothing is decided in the top four in march - plenty of football left to play so let's see what happens.

Arriba los caramelos!

For me there wasn't a lot wrong with that performance. Lost to an own goal and a penalty. Pickford kept them out at times. OK we didn't create much but could easily have drawn that.

We're close. Ancelotti just needs a bit more time.

Our run in isn't as hard as some others. I've not lost hope yet.

It was an excellent performance. We would have shipped a few more goals if were not for his saves tonight.

...sorry, Matey, I can’t use words like ‘excellent’ to describe a performance that included a very poor decision that cost us a key goal. I’m not disputing he made some fine saves, but his performance can’t be excellent when he was to blame for a goal.

I commented something to this effect earlier, but this reminds me a bit of the end of the Moyes-era (although Moyes would have killed to have DCL up front). That team had basically one way of creating goals (down the left side), and when that wasn't working, there was no plan B. We have a similar problem going on right now...all of our goals come from hitting a couple of targets on crosses, and when we're having trouble getting down the wing, we're out of ideas.

From a personnel perspective, wondering if we need to pair DCL with a Mirallas type; somebody who's a bit pacier than Richarlison, scores more from distance and is able to run at defenses and change things up when the crosses aren't working. Richarlison as a winger makes no sense to me; he looks invisible in games like we had today, losing the ball every time he gets one on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.