Old Everton Pictures

Still believe he was sold to fund that bloody horrible stand - though at the same time, pretty sure Catterick wanted rid.
Good description of the stand there. Probably the only ground in the country where the Directors Box has obstructed views :). Never understood why we never replaced the roofing with modern construction materials and methods that would have done away with the middle pillars. Would have massively improved the appearance of the stand and reduced the number of obstructed view seats. Seem to recall that Chelsea showed us how to build a stand of that size without obstructions a year or two later.

Good description of the stand there. Probably the only ground in the country where the Directors Box has obstructed views :). Never understood why we never replaced the roofing with modern construction materials and methods that would have done away with the middle pillars. Would have massively improved the appearance of the stand and reduced the number of obstructed view seats. Seem to recall that Chelsea showed us how to build a stand of that size without obstructions a year or two later.
And bankrupt them.
Ours is dated but Chelsea's although modern cantilever looks dated.

I believe it was considered but the extra cost of (IIRC) came to £10,000 and John Moores vetoed it. There was some talk of having something like the new cantilevered stand at Old Trafford (never a goer, surely, because of the housing on Goodison Road).

That bank of fans won us more matches, in my view, than Alex Young!

For me, the whole stand saga & sale of Bally sent out signals which proved to be all too true. Someone in a comment in this thread mentioned Harry's poor signing towards the end ... absolutely right but did he have the extra financial clout to buy bigger and better? Again ... the stand had to be paid for and J M wasn't going to dip in by that stage of his tenure.

I believe it was considered but the extra cost of (IIRC) came to £10,000 and John Moores vetoed it. There was some talk of having something like the new cantilevered stand at Old Trafford (never a goer, surely, because of the housing on Goodison Road).

That bank of fans won us more matches, in my view, than Alex Young!

For me, the whole stand saga & sale of Bally sent out signals which proved to be all too true. Someone in a comment in this thread mentioned Harry's poor signing towards the end ... absolutely right but did he have the extra financial clout to buy bigger and better? Again ... the stand had to be paid for and J M wasn't going to dip in by that stage of his tenure.
The intimidatory view of the supporters on the terracing would have frightened the toughest of opposition players.

I seem to recall that the original design of the new stand was showing it to be cantilevered. Was it the 'kink' in the stand that produced problems and put paid to that?

Adrian Heath's vital goal against Oxford United on 18th January 1984 -

1611268541584.png