Everton January transfer window 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milik had one prolific season at Ajax and one prolific season at Napoli. The rest of his career stats are poor.
I don’t see the point in replacing Tocsun with another high earning bench warmer.
There is no point moving Bernard and Tocsun on, only to replace them with similar calibre players.
Yeah, I dont know what kind of player people think is going to move here to sit on the bench for 36 games a season tho.

Thats the problem.

We bought Kean and he didn't get any minutes cos DCL and Rico were so good.

OF course we need quality cover for DCL, but its hard to say what kind of player we need.

Yeah, I dont know what kind of player people think is going to move here to sit on the bench for 36 games a season tho.

Thats the problem.

We bought Kean and he didn't get any minutes cos DCL and Rico were so good.

OF course we need quality cover for DCL, but its hard to say what kind of player we need.
Kean was coming from a different country. So culture shock, coupled with quite an ego made it difficult for him.

I doubt he will come back to us now, but we should at least make a profit on him.

Ironically, if he had stayed, I think he would be getting games now.

As to what sort of player to go for, it’s really difficult to say. Really it should be the best we can afford and let them play on rotation with DCL. If we get into Europe, we will need the depth anyway.

As an example. We have ended up with loads of CB’s and it’s given Carlo options and the ability to rest players when they are tired. I actually think Richarlison could have done with being rested occasionally this season. So my thoughts are, don’t go for a bench warmer, but a genuine first team player who can play up top or out wide like Richarlison. If they are not available, then don’t waste the money.

Kean was coming from a different country. So culture shock, coupled with quite an ego made it difficult for him.

I doubt he will come back to us now, but we should at least make a profit on him.

Ironically, if he had stayed, I think he would be getting games now.

As to what sort of player to go for, it’s really difficult to say. Really it should be the best we can afford and let them play on rotation with DCL. If we get into Europe, we will need the depth anyway.

As an example. We have ended up with loads of CB’s and it’s given Carlo options and the ability to rest players when they are tired. I actually think Richarlison could have done with being rested occasionally this season. So my thoughts are, don’t go for a bench warmer, but a genuine first team player who can play up top or out wide like Richarlison. If they are not available, then don’t waste the money.
I doubt Kean would have played much if he stayed.

I mean we really don't need a player who stands with his hands on his hips.

My benchmark left back would always be Pyscho Pat,big,strong,reliable,could use the ball but generally just gave it easy to those who were better on it than him, different days I know but Godfrey is playing very similar in my opinion to Pat.
Yup, a proper old-school defender was Psycho Pat. Godfrey has impressed me too. I like my defenders to defend, but defending almost seems to have gone out of the game in recent years. Neither the Italians nor the Germans have a defender worth his salt these days - which is why both are in the international doldrums. When John Stones is held up as a top defender, then you know standards haven't just collapsed - they are non-existent.

I'm tired of goalkeepers being judged on whether they've got good feet or not and defenders being judged purely on their ability to cross a ball. The only good feet keepers need are to stop the ball - a la Pat Jennings and Neville Southall in their prime. Everything else is Pep Guardiola-style ideological bolloxology.

Milik had one prolific season at Ajax and one prolific season at Napoli. The rest of his career stats are poor.
I don’t see the point in replacing Tocsun with another high earning bench warmer.
There is no point moving Bernard and Tocsun on, only to replace them with similar calibre players.

I honestly think we couldnt do worse than Tosun and for me Bernard just isnt suited to the physicality of the PL.

The problem with us isn't having world beaters on the bench - its not having steady eddie's who can come in and do a job.

I mean look at WHU today brought Yarmolenko and Lanzini off the bench who both led to their equaliser - neither top quality but when has our options off the bench contributed to us in any way shape or form?

I honestly think we couldnt do worse than Tosun and for me Bernard just isnt suited to the physicality of the PL.

The problem with us isn't having world beaters on the bench - its not having steady eddie's who can come in and do a job.

I mean look at WHU today brought Yarmolenko and Lanzini off the bench who both led to their equaliser - neither top quality but when has our options off the bench contributed to us in any way shape or form?

perhaps, but neither Lanzini or Yarmolenko were bought to be bench warmers, and probably like us they are struggling to move them on. So they have their own dross, but their dross might be better than our dross, in that they can effect a game from the bench, from what i've seen Tosun's last appearance, his contribution from the bench led to an opposition goal.
Tosun is bloody awful, so ineffective, has to go. Agree Bernard just cant cut it, and we need to get his wages out of the club rapid.

Literally Bernard yesterday when we won the game lol

Yup, a proper old-school defender was Psycho Pat. Godfrey has impressed me too. I like my defenders to defend, but defending almost seems to have gone out of the game in recent years. Neither the Italians nor the Germans have a defender worth his salt these days - which is why both are in the international doldrums. When John Stones is held up as a top defender, then you know standards haven't just collapsed - they are non-existent.

I'm tired of goalkeepers being judged on whether they've got good feet or not and defenders being judged purely on their ability to cross a ball. The only good feet keepers need are to stop the ball - a la Pat Jennings and Neville Southall in their prime. Everything else is Pep Guardiola-style ideological bolloxology.

I think the last time a club side had a world class team and played 'defence first' was Juventus under Marcelo Lippi in mid-late nineties.

That team would still win everything...they also had Torricelli at right and left back who was really underrated and a bit similar to VDH as well.

Id be fine with us sticking with this style of play although we would need a really super Defensive midfielder to pick the ball off the defence and start play.

Imagine having Kevin Richardson and Alan Harper in this squad.

Godfrey and Holgate arent doing too badly.

We dont really have any utility type players for midfield though.

Tosun has not worked out at all and Bernard is inconsistent, but he did come off the bench yesterday and set up the winner.
I generally agree with your comment about the strength of our bench and it’s why I wouldn’t waste more money on gambles. We need to get into the mentality of squad rotation and get another top quality forward.

Antony at Ajax. Left footed right sided attacker

Signed from Sao Paulo for £13mil rising to £18.3mil. 14 caps for Brazil u23s and 20 years old.

805 minutes, 6goals 7 assists, 4 motm

Going to be a superstar.

Got to be honest .. Brazilian names have deteriorated as much as the caliber of their players over the years . Fred , Bernard , Oscar , Alan... what happened to zico, Rinaldo , Ronaldinho , kaka type names .. Romario ... bebeto, rivaldo ... makes me sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.