2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not saying Carlo is past it or clueless, perhaps stubborn is the word. He has Tosun in the squad every week and even let’s him get on the pitch sometimes. Tosun is absolutely unsuited to the premier league and brings us nothing off the bench. I don’t know if Simms is the answer, but, he must surely be better than Tosun and, we’ll never know if he doesn’t get a chance .

Likewise Gordon, we know he brings pace and urgency to the side and yet, in the most pedestrian midfield in the division, he can’t get a look in. The we have Davis and Iwobi as wing backs yesterday, neither blessed with pace, or experience as a full back. All this with Nkounkou and Kenny, both full backs and one with blistering pace, not even on the bench.

I know Carlo is a legend and all that, but, he really needs to have a bit more faith in the youngsters, if Siggy, Delph, Iwobi etc. can be shoehorned in out of position, how about trying to,replace injured players with other players who,play in the position of the injured man.

the league says yes
The league says we can be over taken by ANY of the 4 teams below us if they win their game in hands, if so could leave us 10th, lower than what we finished with Marco Silva.

We never had hamez, Allan and a free scoring DCL then as well.

Like I said I think he'll turn it around but people blagging he's immune from criticism are baffling, he's proved nothing at Everton yet.

Don’t see anyone writing Carlo off but plenty said before the game that 523 was a disaster waiting to happen and it was. Iwobi looked a fish out of water defensively, Tom davies struggled to get up and down with enough attacking threat, the wing backs got pushed back to make a back 5 and the midfield two got overrun with far too much space to cover leaving DCL isolated with long balls and the back three with no protection.

If that’s obvious to punters before the game and the game pans out as it did then the manager gets valid criticism, that’s all. Nobody I can see is calling for carlo’s head on a plate.

Last 6 games shown he doesn’t trust some of the like for like replacements for first teamers. He’s trying to come up with systems to avoid playing them. Kinda looks like he’s trying anything at the moment hoping something will work.

This...

Said it after last game too..
When we don't have the ball the wing backs become full backs then we only have 2 in midfield so we cant get out, its too easy for poor teams to pen us in.
James, Richy and DCL are our 3 best players, he has to find a system where we have all 3 playing but still be defensively solid. James cant be trusted to track back, teams figured this out when he was on the right and it cost us goals with our right full constantly isolated 2 v 1.
DCL is our striker do obviously he cant have defense duties.
Which leaves Richy who is our best and most important player and would probably get miffed eventually if asked to play left mid constantly.
For me it has to be 4-4-1 with Richy on the left and James in the free role but as i said you risk an unhappy Richy.
Having fit full backs required is a problem obviously but plying with 2 wing backs who have no idea how to play there is ridiculous

The decision to not even have Nkounkou on the bench baffles me... From what we've seen of him wing back would have suited him down to the ground.
In my opinion that's the second game that Carlo has cost us this season before the kick off with his selection.
I still believe in him but I am really getting annoyed with his lack of trust in youngsters. If i were gordon or Nkounkou i would be begging for a loan come january and i'm sure there will be plenty of suitors.
If i was Thierry Small i'd be on a plane to Munich right now.

I cant see Brands signing a new contract if the manager wont even try players he finds like Nkounkou. I am not sure how unhappy or happy i am about this though....

Cant really blame Ancelotti seeing as the depth in key positions just isnt there...

The only 3 positions where we have depth are in LB (Nkounkou), LF (Gordon) and CB (lots)...

Aside from criticising Ancelotti about not trusting Nkounkou and Gordon theres not much wrong.

The good news is that with alot of players out of contract this coming and the following summer, these two players (and more) should come through and we can actually sign players to replace the dross.
Aside from criticising Ancelotti about not trusting nkonkou and Gordon, there’s not much wrong???
Are you not watching the games??? As I posted in a previous post, he’s more or less responsible for the majority of the starting 11. He’s not replacing DCL or Richie anytime soon.
We are woeful defensively. I mean dreadful. We could have conceded 5 today. Against Fulham could have easily been 3+. Do you think that’s Ok?
I don’t want him to be sacked right now. Of course not, but do I think he will be in the next 12 months? Probably.
The signs aren’t great. He was sacked from Napoli and Bayern Munich where fans and players complained of poor training sessions, lack of fitness and they leaked goals. Sound familiar? I’m just stating facts.
The style of management of allowing your star players freedom and trust and believing in your ability will never win against fitness, pace and organisation. Something which has not been seen in our team since he arrived. The games moved on. We lack basics and Ancelotti is tinkering every week with a team that appears to have no system they work on in training, no plan, or no ideas.
I’m probably gonna get a backlash here of “look at his trophies, give him time, or give him more windows”. Which is all valid if things, in the meantime, show some upward trajectory. No one will actually come back with any substance of what they’re seeing with their own eyes. I’d love a response of, can’t you see how much better we are defensively, how much better we are fitness wise. We’re more of a threat, as I’d expect us to be with DCL a year older and with obviously a burning desire to improve, richarlison the same and the signing of james. Really though when I watch us, I always feel a set piece is our best chance.
We all want the same thing so much that sometimes we blind ourselves with that loyalty.
Carlo has not been good for Everton so far. It’s been poor for a guy we’ve literally broke the bank for. It’s the same as when we signed Gomes and Bernard and some threads were talking about them like they were cruyff and Platini.
The defence is showing no signs of improvement and I have zero faith it will get sorted. And on that basis, we will lose more than we’ll win or draw. Which will ultimately get him sacked.

It’s like some people think this is Ancelotti’s first 10 games in charge of the club or something. He’s been here almost a year and we haven’t improved.

Some individuals have benefited from him but the team as a whole, especially midfield and defence, is just as weak as it was.

I think he tried to change too much yesterday. I don’t know if it was to try and confuse Bielsa or what but we shouldn’t be starting and finishing for that matter games without wide defenders playing as wide defenders. We need subtle tweaks to maintain the things that were working and to see what improves the things that weren’t not widescale change that confused pretty much everyone.

Of course a lot of it is down to the unbelievably limited playing staff we have and there being an element of square pegs in round holes because of that and Ancelotti is certainly the pragmatist to make this work. Once again we need players who can play a bit and compliment each other.

Aside from criticising Ancelotti about not trusting nkonkou and Gordon, there’s not much wrong???
Are you not watching the games??? As I posted in a previous post, he’s more or less responsible for the majority of the starting 11. He’s not replacing DCL or Richie anytime soon.
We are woeful defensively. I mean dreadful. We could have conceded 5 today. Against Fulham could have easily been 3+. Do you think that’s Ok?
I don’t want him to be sacked right now. Of course not, but do I think he will be in the next 12 months? Probably.
The signs aren’t great. He was sacked from Napoli and Bayern Munich where fans and players complained of poor training sessions, lack of fitness and they leaked goals. Sound familiar? I’m just stating facts.
The style of management of allowing your star players freedom and trust and believing in your ability will never win against fitness, pace and organisation. Something which has not been seen in our team since he arrived. The games moved on. We lack basics and Ancelotti is tinkering every week with a team that appears to have no system they work on in training, no plan, or no ideas.
I’m probably gonna get a backlash here of “look at his trophies, give him time, or give him more windows”. Which is all valid if things, in the meantime, show some upward trajectory. No one will actually come back with any substance of what they’re seeing with their own eyes. I’d love a response of, can’t you see how much better we are defensively, how much better we are fitness wise. We’re more of a threat, as I’d expect us to be with DCL a year older and with obviously a burning desire to improve, richarlison the same and the signing of james. Really though when I watch us, I always feel a set piece is our best chance.
We all want the same thing so much that sometimes we blind ourselves with that loyalty.
Carlo has not been good for Everton so far. It’s been poor for a guy we’ve literally broke the bank for. It’s the same as when we signed Gomes and Bernard and some threads were talking about them like they were cruyff and Platini.
The defence is showing no signs of improvement and I have zero faith it will get sorted. And on that basis, we will lose more than we’ll win or draw. Which will ultimately get him sacked.

So, what exactly would you have done differently team wise yesterday?

For me, 3 key areas with Davies, Keane and Iwobi playing were tactical errors.

I think hes hamstrung at RB without Coleman and LB without Digne

I think weve got Allan/Doucoure centrally and nothing else.

I think weve no quality out wide bar Richarlison and James.

I think weve had Holgate injured and coming back now.

For me, id have gone...

DCL
Gordon James Richarlison
Allan Doucoure
Nkounkou Holgate Godfrey ???
Pickford​

Still a RB short but id have been excited about seeing that team against leeds in a yoyo type game.

As i said, bar Nkounkou and Gordon not playing im not sure what more he can do with the squad depth being abysmal.

I said the minute he walked in. This is a 3 year job minimum to get this big arse liner turning in the water.
He'll make mistakes.
Absolutely, whichever manager we appointed needed to be supported in his post for 2 years minimum, managerial turmoil is one of the reasons our squad has become so disjointed.
However as a supporter it is inevitable we engage in a continuous rolling assessment of managerial performance and after a promising start I am finding it increasingly difficult to discern a convincing style and direction of travel about our team. This does concern me somewhat.

Compared to other great Italian coaches Carlo is not known for organising solid defences . In his time at Milan he was lucky to have Maldini , Nesta , Cafu and Stam so that defence organises itself in truth.

So, what exactly would you have done differently team wise yesterday?

For me, 3 key areas with Davies, Keane and Iwobi playing were tactical errors.

I think hes hamstrung at RB without Coleman and LB without Digne

I think weve got Allan/Doucoure centrally and nothing else.

I think weve no quality out wide bar Richarlison and James.

I think weve had Holgate injured and coming back now.

For me, id have gone...

DCL
Gordon James Richarlison
Allan Doucoure
Nkounkou Holgate Godfrey ???
Pickford​

Still a RB short but id have been excited about seeing that team against leeds in a yoyo type game.

As i said, bar Nkounkou and Gordon not playing im not sure what more he can do with the squad depth being abysmal.
To be honest Zat. I don’t think any team under his regime right now would have won that game. It doesn’t matter what team/formation you play if you don’t win your battles and you don’t match the other team in hunger, desire and fitness. And we were miles behind them in those three things today. It’s a must mate when you don’t have the best players.
Do you remember the Chelsea game last season? Look at what happens when you win your battles. With these players at our disposal now, you don’t have to run round like madmen but you have to show aggression and intensity: we are lacking in this big time.
Allan showed it today, the rest didn’t. We lack conviction in everything we do. Passes, shooting, tackles. Zero belief and confidence. Which is no doubt helped by playing random systems every week and rotating centre halves.
Even the keeper the other week? What was that about? Playing Olsen for a game and then him being really good and then Pickford just coming back in? It’s just poor I think.
There’s still people clinging to personnel but schneiderlins gone, so has niasse, Sandro as has Walcott. The dreaded names of sigurdsson, Gomes, Davies are playing less and less and tosun didn’t get on. These are players that are in the first team who get plaudits. So what’s wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.