Match Thread Everton v Leeds United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leeds are like the opposite of us. Poor quality players, but organised playing in a system that they know. We have better players than them, but they play like they only met this morning and don't know what their jobs are. It was horrible to watch. I sort of feel like the season is already done, even though we are not even half way through it. Carlo's idea of playing Tom Davies at RWB and moving Iwobi to LWB, instead of Nkounku coming in at LWB didn't work at all. its not Davies position, he can't really tackle or cross, so I'm not sure what he was meant to do out there.
The central defenders seemed to spend a lot of time getting in each others way as well
Of our first choice defence at the start of the season, Only Keane is there now. Godfrey played his first game in central defence (Maybe 2nd?) and Holgate played his second game after coming back from injury. I don't understand why Nkounkou wasn't at LWB with Iwobi at RWB he impressed me last week. Don't know how much that would have changed the performance though.
As we've recently started playing a back 3, none of the players are used to it. The change of shape means unfamilar patterns of movement for our midfielders (who only joined this season). That's no excuse for some of the passing. Especially Doucoure. I've been disappointed with him in that aspect all season. I haven't seen enough of him (at Watford) to know if that's what you get with him or if he'll improve when he settles in.
As you say, it so often looks like our players don't know each other. It's not just today but there's a stark contrast with such a well drilled side as Leeds who've been together for a while and know what they are going to do every time they set foot on the pitch.
With our attacking players lacking that early season spark, we can't compensate for the failings in other areas.

It's clear now as it was clear at the start of the season. Ancelotti will need time.

The term is ‘self deprecation’ not ‘self depreciation’...I have noticed this error in one or two posts.
Now, Everton: losers, but we know that. I feel the RS result worked against us as the pressure went on the lads to take advantage of their (the RS) dropping points. Our lads, our club, just do not do pressure. They lost today’s game when the full time whistle went at Brighton.
We will finish the league in a pressureless 8th to 12th position...same next year and every year after that.
The lads will do a fabulous Blue Chrimbo though...

NSNO
Would rarely argue with a wordsmith like yourself, D, but on this occasion I’m afraid you’re wrong: as Goat once wrote: Math never Maths; here: self depreciation never deprecation.

Put Chico right on this once and to his credit, he’s never wavered.

Jonte

Well of course it matters. Once a pass hits an opponent, then it's a new phase and therefore can't be offside. So a deflection is a big issue.

It doesn't detract from our performance, and we created enough to score 3-4 goals, but it does irk me that they didn't even look at a goal that was clearly off the Leeds player. It wasn't even a tight call.
Yep and we created enough to score 7or8. Better team won

Doesn’t seem to be anything backing that up

Delph has wing back experience also and made more sense than Iwobi

Not slating either him or Davies, they tried, but they shouldn’t have been there

Ancelotti deserves some criticism here. Doesn’t mean I want him out or anything like that
Not saying he doesn’t deserve any, but seems very odd that both of our only fit full backs would be completely omitted from the squad.
Kenny I could understand because I think Ancelotti clearly doesn’t trust/rate him.... but he played Nkounkou last time Digne was out.

Is this the best we can hope for? Perhaps he cant do it with the smaller clubs! Perhaps he is from a time in football that isnt effective anymore!

1606595541267.png

Could have won 3 or 4 nil.
Could have lost 3 or 4 nil
Could have drew 5 - 5.

Really good game of football , but its a poor result for us.

Too many passengers in our side today but still could have beat a very good Leeds side.

MOM Allan super performance.

did we watch the same game here? Everton were outplayed - from start to finish pretty much.

Is this an Everton forum?

I listened to the Cahill podcast with Carragher earlier on today, god I miss that squad. To be honest when you listen to that it makes watching this current team seem like you’re watching a computer game or something, it’s not real anymore is it, these players Don’t and won’t ever care about us, wine lose or draw they get to go back to their mansions and straight to Instagram with a stock response like “Keep Fighting...”, really really couldn’t care less about Everton currently, which is a massive shame as we/I probably need them now more than ever.

Well the iny intepretation is it's onside.
I meant this....

In the context of Law 11 – Offside, the following definitions apply:
• “nearer to his opponents’ goal line” means that any part of a player’s head, body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the
second-last opponent. The arms are not included in this definition
• “interfering with play” means playing or touching the ball passed or
touched by a team-mate
• “interfering with an opponent” means preventing an opponent from
playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s
line of vision or challenging an opponent for the ball
“gaining an advantage by being in that position” means playing a ball
i. that rebounds or is deflected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent having been in an offside position
ii. that rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save by an opponent having been in an offside position
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.