2020/21 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Iwobi in a nutshell - 1 good game 4 bad.

He'll be useful as a wingback against a team like Burnley who we need to break down but I hope Coleman is fit for Leeds as I fear he'll be done down that side.
Always said he’s a bit of a flat track bully. He looks good against the bottom teams like Fulham and Norwich last season. Less so against the good teams.

He done well today, and put some great crosses in.
The thing I noticed today, he had time to turn and run with the ball. No early challenge or even being closed down happened today.

against better teams he will not get that luxury, and will struggle

When Coleman is back get him out on the right and have James playing though the middle. Means we don't have to play Gylfi/Gomes/Davies, gives Allan more help in CM because Doucoure isn't tasked with covering the right in place of James who is then freed of some defensive tasks.

I said the same before the match but with Bernard after playing well against United.

When I saw the team sheet today, I thought Carlo did that but put Iwobi in a midfield 3

No idea he'd have him at RWB. It doesn't entirely work as there were some kamikaze defending and attacking going on.

He done well today, and put some great crosses in.
The thing I noticed today, he had time to turn and run with the ball. No early challenge or even being closed down happened today.

against better teams he will not get that luxury, and will struggle

Not so sure depends on the support he gets.

He’s better in midfield rather than being in the front three. To be fair, he actually tries to be positive when he gets the ball and tries to go forward. When he’s part of the front three he doesn’t have many options and he loses the ball much more. By playing deeper he has more options in front of him and he looks a better player.

He had a good game today but let's not get carried away. Let's face it, we've been here before with players. They are mediocrities for weeks on end, then have a good game and everyone is singing their praises. It's happened to Sigurddson, Schneiderlin, Davies etc etc. If he's still doing it after another half dozen games, then I'll heap some praise on him

This is all part of his development. The best wide players in the PL can not only score and create, but they work hard defensively too. We severely missed Richie's pressing from the front when he was banned and also when he went off secong half. Iwobi has been severely lacking in that department, so what better way to get him to develop his defending than throwing him in at the deep end? .Well he swam today, so well done Carlo and well done Iwobi.

Status
Not open for further replies.