Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if Gomes gets one of his usual niggles it means Siggurdsson or Davies in the midfield.

We are still 3-4 players short its not like we are Liverpool/Wolves who never get injuries and can field the same 11 most of the season.

We have 2x CB's out after just one game.
Gomes and his niggles... that one where his leg snapped in two and he was back playing in a couple of months. Sick note

Origi or shaquiri? It's a massive improvement to their squad
Jota I can't honestly say I have noticed that much. But he's only young and has a lot of experience for his age. He will likely improve, but you have to say it is unlikely he will start many games, and most people will be happy to see him come on the pitch if he is replacing any of Liverpool's front 3.

Thiago is a class act, although Sky talk of him arguably being the best midfielder in the world are a bit rich. His style reminds me of Coutinho. As good as Coutinho was at Liverpool, and lets be honest g=he was very good at times, as a team Liverpool have found a system that works far better for them since he left. It will be interesting to see how Thiago fits into that system.

Hogging some of the best players in the world doesn't always work as we've seen from Real Madrid.

Who's saying im not going to enjoy it?

Im happy with 7th and a good go at the cups - I just think those seriously expecting a push for top 4/6 based off one good result against Spurs are setting themselves up for dissapointment.
We’d need a bit of luck to be pushing 4th. But we’ll be in and around 6th. We’ll compete with anyone below 6th with our current squad. In fact I think squad wise we are the best outside the established 6. We’ve shown we can give the top 6 a go aswell.

at least one or two of them will underperform and have serious injury problems or be spread a bit too thin to compete on all fronts.

we could finish anywhere from 4th to 10th IMO. But I think we are serious contenders for 6th-8th as it stands. As in I think it’s likely we’ll finish 6th-8th.

all the teams aside from wolves have a lot more footy than us.

I dont think its really possible to know what we are capable of yet. Wev'e only played 1 league game and the window is open.

We all have our own ideas about where we're at but we'll be in a lot better place to judge come 5th October.

What is certain is that we do need defensive cover.

We will bring in a CH. I think we will find a RW/RB too. With the financial side of the game in a bit of a whirlwind due to the virus, this is the opportunity to right a lot of the wrongs of the past 6 or 7 seasons. The 3 midfielders are brilliant additions, but so is Nkounkou. Another unknown gem of the level would be most welcome.

I think like this as well. I do hope that there will be an improvement in at least some of the players that don't move on, if we have any hopes of top six we depend on that too.

Sigurdsson and Gomes for example, surely there are more goals in both of them. I'd bet that Sig should get 6-8 goals even spending most of the season from the bench this year and surely Gomes is capable of 5 or 6 as well.

If that happens and James gets into double figures then that's an enormous improvement and we should be at least in the mix for a top six place with 8 games to go. That's what I'm looking for.

Another player or two in would add to the depth and make hopes of top six more realistic as well
Spot on mate.

With no home and away for most of this season games will be won by the team who wants it more on the day.

Totally agree that injuries will determine our season,
but see no reason why we cant beat anybody and we certainly shouldn't fear anybody, as I keep saying, it does not matter what any other team does, it only matters if we show up with our key players in form.

And that goes for any team in the league, any team can beat any team on any day.
Totally agree. Because of the curtailed preseason I think you’ll see more injuries than normal, not just by us but all other teams in the league, particularly those with European commitments.

Totally agree. Because of the curtailed preseason I think you’ll see more injuries than normal, not just by us but all other teams in the league, particularly those with European commitments.

One of the reasons Carlo made a strong point of rotation. No player is fully fit, and none of them should over stretch their fitness levels either. The squad is big enough for players to rest when needed. Such a shame Holgate had a mare in that pre season game, and thus ended up injured.

We underachieved last year. For any number of reasons, injuries, refereeing decisions, bad luck and most of all poor coaching and management, all of which leads to low confidence in the players. Had Gbamin, Delph and Gomes been fully fit all season we'd have seen a very different league table. The additions we have made already will see us finish 7/9. A couple of additions, an athletic right back and top drawer pacey right wing, will see us top 6 and challenging 4th spot if we have better luck with injuries.

I don't think the poster was being harsh at all.
Well I find myself in the awkward position of agreeing with both you and me. While I don't know that we're gonna get any benefit from Delph and Gammers, I agree that we can finish 7/9 as we are, but if we want to be 5/7 then we need the extra signings of which you speak, ie improving further than our rivals do, which is what the original poster said, hence my view that criticism of his view was harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.