Confirmed Signing James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton’s new signing James Rodriguez says he can recapture and eclipse the form which catapulted him to superstardom when he won the Golden Boot at the 2014 World Cup.
Rodriguez secured his move to Real Madrid six years ago on the back of his international performances for Colombia. He enjoyed his best spell at the Bernabeu under Carlo Ancelotti.

As he was unveiled at the Everton’s USM Finch Farm training ground on Thursday, Rodriguez made no secret of the fact it was Ancelotti’s presence that was critical to securing the move.
“It influenced me a lot. It is great to be back having a chance to work with the manager again. We enjoyed a great season together in 2014. It was a great season for me personally and we have a great relationship,” he said.
Asked if he is still the player of 2014, he added: "Yes. Six or seven years ago I had something good, I had a good level. With football, you have to have people beside you who trust in you, so you can give your best.
“I am young and I think I have years left in me of playing good football and that’s why I am here, to do it at this great club.
“As everyone knows, I played little last year and I spoke to Carlo and I think it was good for me to be able to play again. I spoke to him and I said yes. It wasn’t: ‘I’ll think about it and then I’ll tell you’. I said yes, because it was a club with passion and was the right thing for me because I want to be able to play.”

Ancelotti made a point of stressing how Rodriguez made his willingness to join Everton clear during their transfer talks.
The Italian says he turned his back on several Everton targets because he doubted their commitment to his Goodison rebuild. But the enthusiasm of the three he signed - Rodriguez, Allan and Ousmane Doucoure - convinced him to push ahead with the deals after holding discussion with the players.
“We were looking not only for these three players but there is a key question when you talk to a player: do you really want to come?” said Ancelotti.
“There are some that say yes and others that say maybe I have to think about this. The three players we signed simply answered yes. Full stop. I want to have players that have a desire to come to this club, full stop. The player that doesn’t have this desire, we move on. These three players said yes. Simple answer.”

Ancelotti acknowledged the three deals this week have seen Everton invest significantly in older players - something owner Farhad Moshiri and director of football Marcel Brands suggested they would not do a year ago. The manager said there is now more balance in his squad.
“We decided with the club to add more experienced players because I think the average age of the squad is young,” said Ancelotti.
“Allan and James are 29. We have an average of 26.1 or 25.9 so the average of the squad is still young. To have more experienced players I think will be better because sometimes experience is really important.”
Very interesting this bolded bit and honestly refreshing to hear. Put's the Gabriel stuff into a bit more perspective.

Very interesting this bolded bit and honestly refreshing to hear. Put's the Gabriel stuff into a bit more perspective.

And also, makes you wonder what the answer was for Iwobi, Siggy,
I feel like Tosun, Bernard and Walcott try hard but are just not quite good enough, but wish we could see that effort and drive in the others.

Is there a thread about media & pundits' coverage of Everton? I used to wonder about this, how we are treated in the press, like the rubbish programmes and presenters on TalkSport & SkySports..I wondered if they're really biased or we are just perpetuating this inferiority complex, and actually in reality Everton is fairly treated by referees, by the authorities (when we make appeals) and by the media, and we are not really treated like a small club with a small club mentality. but actually this whole Rodriguez transfer has been treated in a very very strange way by the press, with very little coverage. Just imagine if a top 6 club had bought him, particularly if it was Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal. Just imagine there would be round the clock coverage on that day, there would have been proper press on the Miami, NY and Bogota ads, and also interveiws with people in Colombia etc. There would have been stories on him for at least 3-4 days. But there's nothing! It's just a patronising bit of coverage and mostly the expectation that he will fail! or nothing much! He's the biggest player to move to England in ages! (thinking of his past and his social media following, which counts for a lot) and it's not really big news!
I really hope the players can also activate a bit of a new mentality of being underdogs and stars at the same time, and that we surprise everyone this year, build on it, and stick two fingers up at the press and national attention. makes me angry for the first time!

Is there a thread about media & pundits' coverage of Everton? I used to wonder about this, how we are treated in the press, like the rubbish programmes and presenters on TalkSport & SkySports..I wondered if they're really biased or we are just perpetuating this inferiority complex, and actually in reality Everton is fairly treated by referees, by the authorities (when we make appeals) and by the media, and we are not really treated like a small club with a small club mentality. but actually this whole Rodriguez transfer has been treated in a very very strange way by the press, with very little coverage. Just imagine if a top 6 club had bought him, particularly if it was Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal. Just imagine there would be round the clock coverage on that day, there would have been proper press on the Miami, NY and Bogota ads, and also interveiws with people in Colombia etc. There would have been stories on him for at least 3-4 days. But there's nothing! It's just a patronising bit of coverage and mostly the expectation that he will fail! or nothing much! He's the biggest player to move to England in ages! (thinking of his past and his social media following, which counts for a lot) and it's not really big news!
I really hope the players can also activate a bit of a new mentality of being underdogs and stars at the same time, and that we surprise everyone this year, build on it, and stick two fingers up at the press and national attention. makes me angry for the first time!

....I think the wider public are generally underwhelmed at the three signings and this is understandable given they haven’t really set the world alight in the last 12 months.

It really doesn’t matter what the media say, it doesn’t really matter what we think. These players now have to do their talking on the pitch.

James Rodriguez plays for Everton.

Soak it up.
tenor.gif

I think he's one of those people who's quite different when working in a foreign language. I speak two others apart from English and my character is quite different depending on my confidence levels. I know he had the Spanish translator, but it's not the same. Can't wait to see him grow into his role. Richarlison, Gomes, Allan will all be great help. Actually do we have any Spanish speakers at Everton apart from Rodriguez? I guess Carlo and Davide speak it
Yerry

I think he's one of those people who's quite different when working in a foreign language. I speak two others apart from English and my character is quite different depending on my confidence levels. I know he had the Spanish translator, but it's not the same. Can't wait to see him grow into his role. Richarlison, Gomes, Allan will all be great help. Actually do we have any Spanish speakers at Everton apart from Rodriguez? I guess Carlo and Davide speak it
We have the players signed from Spanish clubs in the past like Digne and Gomes and also Mina obviously.

....I think the wider public are generally underwhelmed at the three signings and this is understandable given they haven’t really set the world alight in the last 12 months.

It really doesn’t matter what the media say, it doesn’t really matter what we think. These players now have to do their talking on the pitch.
Agreed. Up to the players now to repay the manager’s faith in them.

I do think youth has become somewhat fetishised in the media now to the point that signing a 28 year old is considered madness but it’s up to the team to change that perception.

Excellent punctuation, mate. It's a pleasure to read such a substantial message from someone without having to shake my fist at it, or my brain nearly exploding in frustration. You got a bit excited with exclamation marks at one point, but found your way through it alright. Well done!

I know its not the same but Portuguese and Spanish are similar languages so Bernard and Richy should hopefully settle him as well as Yerry, Gomes and Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.