Confirmed Signing James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
All real evidence suggests he has signed. He is f#%#¥£€ quality. Hopefully it works out as well as it could. I think it will. Let's enjoy the ride.

Cant wait for him to bend one in against Spurs and for us to enjoy a good 20 mins of being ahead on opening day before the inevitable sucker punch at the end when some carthorse like Dier scrambles one in from a corner to equalise.

This is the thing.

I don't know who you're calling a Kopite, but half of our fanbase's issue is the siege mentality we have (it's an issue all fanbases have, I know).

Wilson will get loads of grief for that article. Unfortunately, that's because he's pointing out the flaws that are underneath the excitement.

Doesn't mean anyone who kind of agrees with his general point (as I do) is a 'kopite', or isn't excited for the transfer.

Kopite remark wasn't aimed at you.

The piece is crap though and so poorly written - we all know the type of players we would like to sign (young/gifted etc.), tbh we've tried that and it hasn't worked.

We don't need him going on with the the "stay in your lane & know your place Everton" [Poor language removed] that they all try and do, especially when we are in the verge of an absolutely massive signing, one of the biggest we have ever made imo.

This fella was pissed that Carlo joined us and they are royally pissed that we've signed Allan and Hameth - he is desperate for it all to fail, as are all the lurkers, (and sadly it well might crash on its arse), but I just would like us all to enjoy this moment and be really excited for what we potentially have, before a balls been kicked - traditionally we have enough pain and misery once that happens so why start being miserable now.

Last edited:
I get your point.

Should we really be signing a player who is 29, their career has stalled a little and there are numerous injury concerns who would come in and be our highest-paid player? Hell no.

Will he :

a) Play every game and dominate
b) Go AWOL around November complaining about the cold
c) Retire from football at Christmas after seeing Jesus, not the City fella, in a cracker

Lets be honest they are all possibilities.

So no, we probably shouldn't sign him.

But.

Its Hameth Rodrigeth man, just to see him once in blue is worth everything.
Its a coin flip, 3 years from now, we look back and we know then if its worth it, but for now, we roll the dice, if we hit, well its Its Hameth Rodrigeth man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 years from now, big shiny stadia taking shape on the banks, big Abdoulaye massacring midfields alongside Allan, the days of dirge will be long forgotten and we'll all be on here romanticising over the 'late' summer of 2020

I get your point.

Should we really be signing a player who is 29, their career has stalled a little and there are numerous injury concerns who would come in and be our highest-paid player? Hell no.

Will he :

a) Play every game and dominate
b) Go AWOL around November complaining about the cold
c) Retire from football at Christmas after seeing Jesus, not the City fella, in a cracker

Lets be honest they are all possibilities.

So no, we probably shouldn't sign him.

But.

Its Hameth Rodrigeth man, just to see him once in blue is worth everything.

Its a coin flip, 3 years from now, we look back and we know then if its worth it, but for now, we roll the dice, if we hit, well its Its Hameth Rodrigeth man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah this is my point. And really, it's the point Wilson is making. Except it's not an Evertonian making it. He's just looking it at objectively. Albeit, it's poor if he's got some facts wrong about his time at Bayern etc, but the general gist is just like you've said there. And the reward could well be worth the risk – the fact that Ancelotti is leading the push means he's at least fully confident he can make it work.

Last edited:

Do wish people would learn it's Colombia, like.

He doesn't come from the US uni, or the Oasis song, or the clothing brand.

Yeah this is my point. And really, it's the point Wilson is making. Except it's not an Evertonian making it. He's just looking it at objectively. Albeit, it's poor if he's got some facts wrong about his time at Bayern etc, but the general gist is just like you've said there. And the reward could well be worth the risk – the fact that Ancelotti is leading the push means he's at least fully confident he can make it work.

I havent read that piece you are talking about myself like.

Cant wait for him to bend one in against Spurs and for us to enjoy a good 20 mins of being ahead on opening day before the inevitable sucker punch at the end when some carthorse like Dier scrambles one in from a corner to equalise.
There is the real worry. "Decent hat trick Hames lad, but we need you to sink on the 95th min as well to clinch the 3 points. Burnley are a tenacious bunch."

Kopite remark wasn't aimed at you.

The piece is crap though and so poorly written - we all know the type of players we would like to sign (young/gifted etc.), tbh we've tried that and it hasn't worked.

We don't need him going on with the the "stay in your lane & know your place Everton" [Poor language removed] that they all try and do, especially when we are in the verge of an absolutely massive signing, one of the biggest we have ever made imo.

This fella was pissed that Carlo joined us and they are royally pissed that we've signed Allan and Hamez - he is desperate for it all to fail, as are all the lurkers, (and sadly it well might crash on its arse), but I just would like us all to enjoy this moment and be really excited for what we potentially have, before a balls been kicked - traditionally we have enough pain and misery once that happens so why start being miserable now.

I know mate, re-read your post and saw the lurkers bit!

I really don't think the article was a 'stay in your lane one', that's my point. I get why people may think that. I think it was more just pointing out it's a deal that doesn't really make sense, but then for all the reasons it doesn't make sense, it also makes sense because - like Goat says - it's James Rodriguez, one of the biggest stars in the game.

Honestly, they're two absolutely brilliant signings and I think Doucoure adds a lot too.

It's probably because it's not 'one of our own' saying it. Like I said, all fanbases have that defence mechanism when someone from outside of it gives their opinion. It's not always just as simple as them trying to put us down, I don't think.

Wilson is one of the best writers there is. His style is very 'high horse', but he can afford to be. The fact that he's bothered enough to write a piece about us at all is a positive for me!

I havent read that piece you are talking about myself like.

the key bits....

Sensible economics dictate that clubs of Everton’s level should be picking up young players from Europe’s mid-ranking leagues and clubs – a 22-year-old midfielder from Augsburg, perhaps, a promising winger from Benfica or a rapid young defender from Metz – looking to develop them and selling them on at a profit three or four years later. But again and again the allure of players allowed to leave by the elite proves too great and so they end up with a squad populated by Theo Walcott, Moise Kean, Alex Iwobi, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Fabian Delph and Lucas Digne.

That’s not to say they are not good players. Kean, aged 20, and Iwobi, 24, have time on their side. It’s not to say they necessarily do not fit at Everton. It’s not to say they lack commitment. If they see Everton as a step down from where they were, well, what of it? A club such as Everton is always going to be a stepping-stone in one direction or the other; it will only rarely be a destination in itself. But it is to say they are expensive.

Then this is the conclusion, on James.

Where else would he go but Everton? No accountant would sign him, a diminishing asset on high wages who has just turned 29, even if his initial fee is £20m. It makes zero financial sense. And yet, there must also be a sense of thrill. There were questions about the appointment of Ancelotti and his suitability for Everton that have not yet been answered, but this is a clear upside: he gives the club access to players such as James and Allan who probably wouldn’t give Everton a second thought were it not for the opportunity to play for a manager they have worked with before.

Only the dourest of grown-ups, one who has long since forgotten how to fly, could not be inspired by the prospect of Ancelotti reigniting James’s talent so that he plays out a glorious autumn to his career at Goodison. It’s an audacious signing, one that services a fundamental but frequently overlooked demand of a mid-table side: fun.

James may succeed gloriously or he may fail, but at least it will have been worth watching to find out. Certainly with Allan and Doucouré, this appears a much more dynamic Everton midfield than the narrow and slightly sterile variant put out by Ancelotti for much of the second half of last season.

All of which would be promising were it not for that wage bill. James feels like a gamble that is justifiable, welcome even, but Everton could probably do with a few more 22-year-old midfielders from Augsburg, promising wingers from Porto or rapid young defenders from Metz. And perhaps, at last, James can escape the golden dreams of his youth to become something meaningful in the present.

This is the thing.

I don't know who you're calling a Kopite, but half of our fanbase's issue is the siege mentality we have (it's an issue all fanbases have, I know).

Wilson will get loads of grief for that article. Unfortunately, that's because he's pointing out the flaws that are underneath the excitement.

Doesn't mean anyone who kind of agrees with his general point (as I do) is a 'kopite', or isn't excited for the transfer.

But the writer goes off saying we should be signing other types of players, well how about a pacy fullback with a good cross from Marseille?

Its to be expected that some will bang the drum about not signing older players from top clubs, but to get his point across he ignores the fact we're also getting some promising young talent through the doors.

Its the senior players who have continually let us down, so replacing them seems nothing but constructive to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.