Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
On reflection personally and again this wont be the popular opinion i have sympathy for Gomes, Gylfi, and Davies. I think we had a terrible time with injury to Gbamin, Gomes and Delph. On reflection i think we did poorly in player trading last summer, we lost many midfielders last summer and arguably didnt improve the area, left ourselves short and injuries undermined that.

I think Davies was asked to do more then where he is in his development allowed him, i think Gomes clearly wasnt fit after his return, i think Gylfi was played out of his best position. All three were poor to middling at best, i do however feel there is context. Where i would credit them is that they did a job for the team and showed up and played every week however poorly, getting pelters, i like and credit that. We also flogged all three in that context to.

I know that wont be a popular opinion but that were i sit and ill own it any way.

i kept feeling we needed a powerhouse midfielder like we're targeting now with allan and doucoure. I felt there was no need for delph, espeically if we were getting gomes and gbamin, because i still felt we'd get bullied. It was so similar to buying a load of no.10's under koeman. The failure to land a centre back is what let us down most of all last summer and thankfully holgate came good, but the panic buy of iwobi right at the end turned what was looking like a fairly decent summer of recruitment into a bad one. We can't do that again, we have to get our targets in and if we don't leave the money until january.

It did smack of buying without a plan again, all of our current centre mid options can play ok in a 3, but they all need a powerful type to break up play and start attacks, they're all too much of a similarity, in that they have the same strengths and same weaknesses so that's why i feel sorry for them too. They get pelters because they're "slow, don't run games" but they never have been, they need that type of player alongside them. You wouldn't have a go at a striker playing in goal saying they're a crap keeper and it is similar with our midfield options.

Just me that isn’t big on Ramsey? Decent player no doubt, yet another that lacks pace in an already slow team. Big wage as well considering the state we have got ourselves into with the likes of Gylfi, Tosun and Sandro et al all on higher wage than their ability. I know they are probably BS rumours but it seems some want anyone through the door at the moment as long as it’s a body.

Just me that isn’t big on Ramsey? Decent player no doubt, yet another that lacks pace in an already slow team. Big wage as well considering the state we have got ourselves into with the likes of Gylfi, Tosun and Sandro et al all on higher wage than their ability. I know they are probably BS rumours but it seems some want anyone through the door at the moment as long as it’s a body.

Good player but nowhere near value for the trillion quid we’d pay in wages.

Rafinha is a centre mid, he’s Thiago’s brother. It’s a different fella to the Brazilian lid that was at Bayern for years.

Rafinha is very talented but would avoid due to his injury history.
That fair enough, but if he’s a midfielder then the point still stands with our 3 midfield targets are well documented and his random appearance due to delays getting the main ones over the line seem sus

Yeah i have seen him have bad performances alright id totally acknowledge that, full tilt though ive seen him have good ones to and i think if you can harness that, get it consistently and it can be produced often then you have value in a player, i think that is our job of work.

I still think Tom is awfully young, so im really reluctant to write him off, when Allan is 34 for example Tom will be about 26. Hes young enough and cheap enough, to hang onto and see how he develops. I dont think he is the finished article or at the appex of his development yet. I saw bits that pleased me last season, not dismissing he had some very poor games though.

Spot on this, he never goes missing unlike some of the frauds we have leeching off us - watch him improve without Iceland next to him, and maybe a fully fit gomes or even better, the new signings.

Young enough to stay and hopefully learn form Allan/James for a few years yet before we scrap the lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.