Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think you're conflating a few points here mate. Mane and Van Dijk were signed from the same club, and certainly Van Dijk (likely Mane too) would be out of our current range. Wijnaldum, he is one we could have bought, a bit unfavoured from a relegated team, and Robertson quite unfavoured from a team that got relegated. It's perhaps worth noting if we were to go for (for example) a Cantwell, Brooks, King etc.

As for Richarlinson and Mine, yes they were bought before, both were boight from South America. It's very hard to get permits, we wouldn't have got one for Mina, and maybe for Richarlinson. That though is a very different approach to the one Liverpool have had.

I think we really need to work out where we fit, where other people people fit, and ultimately where a realistic zone model of player for us to buy can come from. I still don't see enough of that currently. I mean with Liverpool, in relation to Mane and Salah it's now well known they were ot first choice, but it was accepted both were fast and direct so if all else failed and they remained erratic they would at least fit what Klopp was attempting to do.

For us it's a question of trying to have an idea of what Ancelotti wants to do. To me its why I'm not as hung up on buying younger players.If Ancelotti required more intelligent, tactically flexible players, maybe some older players make sense if value can be sought. We are right to negotiate hard. I am seeing Arias and Allan linked, if we can get the pair for under £30m we are markedly improving two areas of the pitch for not an enormous sum of money.
I'm not conflating different things, I'm just making a very general point. As i've already said, the names given are just examples. I'm not saying we should have signed all 6 of the players named, just that they can be used to highlight what I'm getting at.

I think you've also misunderstood the point though, so clearly i'm not making it very well. When I say we could have got Mane and Van Dijk, I obviously don't mean now. And I don't mean when they went to Liverpool either. I mean at the point Southampton got them, they would have been getable for us. They are players who were good enough to go straight into a decent PL team, and who had a very high ceiling for improvement, but were within our price range/pulling power. There are loads of other examples across the league and across Europe, but i'm scared to name any more because people will take it completely literally and tell me why it doesn't apply to that specific player.

The point is simply that we haven't got very good value for money in recent years, either under Martinez, Walsh, or Brands as of yet. I was just agreeing with somebody else that part of that may be because we keep targeting the wrong profile of player, and there may be more value around if we switched our attention to other areas.

Doucoures just another spineless donkey to add to the collection, we’ve got enough of them, capoue was the better one outve that partnership at Watford which says it all
Didn’t see much of him this season but certainly saw a few games last year where he looked like a monster. Inconsistent? Or just downed tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.