RB Leipzig / Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we not still in the middle of this process, we had one of the youngest teams playing a few time steps year, Rich, DCL, Iwobi, Davies, Holgate, Pickworth, all young, potentially could be sold for more than paid with a good season under the belt...
These are all step up from the three you mention, which TBF all should have had more of a chance, though Onyekuru situation separate...

I mean sure but only a few of those you mentioned are actually any good.

We need Man City level of investment to make a proper breakthrough, and sustain it.

We are pinning all our hopes on a "much better" window at a time when the indications are that we'll spend modestly, or slightly more than that level.

That's why people are frustrated with Brands.

We are not a powerhouse club so are dependent on unearthing "gems" and a system of exceptional scouting.

There isn't much of it in evidence over the past two seasons.

It's isn't much different than West Ham or Newcastle fans hoping that their next manager/DOF will have a touch of magic about them, and drag them up the league in a manner akin to Wolves or Leicester.

I mean sure but only a few of those you mentioned are actually any good.

All young enough to get better, would reckon Sane wasn't at the level there as he is at the Reds.
Got to back young players with talent and coach them to get better.

Last edited:
We need Man City level of investment to make a proper breakthrough, and sustain it.

We are pinning all our hopes on a "much better" window at a time when the indications are that we'll spend modestly, or slightly more than that level.

That's why people are frustrated with Brands.

We are not a powerhouse club so are dependent on unearthing "gems" and a system of exceptional scouting.

There isn't much of it in evidence over the past two seasons.

It's isn't much different than West Ham or Newcastle fans hoping that their next manager/DOF will have a touch of magic about them, and drag them up the league in a manner akin to Wolves or Leicester.

That's true and definitely causes reduced patience and frustration

But what gets me on your second point, is we seem to see these clubs like Leicester and Wolves make the leaps we want to, when they have poorer resources, and was shopping in poorer markets.

Why do we get it so wrong.

Moshiri is an improvement on Kenwright
Carlo on those before him
Brands or anyone over Walsh

Will take time to correct the mistakes and underinvestment we have seen over the years

Surely we have to believe we are in a better place and on the right path...

My wonder is how despite this belief how can we be so far away from a minnow like RB Leipzig's improvement over the years when we are / where better off then they were.

That's true and definitely causes reduced patience and frustration

But what gets me on your second point, is we seem to see these clubs like Leicester and Wolves make the leaps we want to, when they have poorer resources, and was shopping in poorer markets.

Why do we get it so wrong.

Moshiri is an improvement on Kenwright
Carlo on those before him
Brands or anyone over Walsh

Will take time to correct the mistakes and underinvestment we have seen over the years

Surely we have to believe we are in a better place and on the right path...

My wonder is how despite this belief how can we be so far away from a minnow like RB Leipzig's improvement over the years when we are / where better off then they were.

The frustration comes from the massive sense of missed opportunity. In relative terms its hard to see us spending on the same levels in the next few years, not least with a new stadium to pay for.

If we could only hope to replicate Wolves or Leicester, then short-term it would be an undoubted improvement, but over a longer-term it would be incredibly bleak.

There seems to be only one way in the absence of Usmanov formally launching a takeover. That is, to make player trading work for the good of the team and squad and make us more or less self-sustaining to a large degree. We buy mostly younger players that are either going to stay in the side for years or be able to sell them for high profit and reinvest with the same goal.

The problem with that vision is you need the right mix of people to implement it. I'm just not convinced at all anymore on Brands, last summers business showed none of the signs that it was planned along strategic lines, it was more hit and hope.

And giving them sufficient time to repair the immense damage done by previous DoF and Managers.

....that’s a very good point, Fred. Saying that, you want to see the right types of players coming in and an improvement on the pitch.

i was quite happy with Brands initially, but I think the jury is out regarding latter purchases. I can’t blame him for Gbamin, but Iwobi, Kean and Delph haven’t improved the squad to this point. The lack of pace and athleticism in key areas hasn’t been addresses and we rarely carry a threat away from home.

....that’s a very good point, Fred. Saying that, you want to see the right types of players coming in and an improvement on the pitch.

i was quite happy with Brands initially, but I think the jury is out regarding latter purchases. I can’t blame him for Gbamin, but Iwobi, Kean and Delph haven’t improved the squad to this point. The lack of pace and athleticism in key areas hasn’t been addresses and we rarely carry a threat away from home.
Delph I agree with. Iwobi was a panic buy which is always worrying but I'm sure we haven't seen the best of him. We all expected far too much of Kean too quickly. I believe he will turn out to be a very good buy. I'm also hopeful on Gbamin. But overall I look at this squad of players and think we're in a much better shape than before Brands joined us.

Last season we had our first choice midfield wiped out with injury. Few teams could cope with that. We also, in my opinion, had a very raw deal with refereeing decisions and VAR. They say these even out over a season but last year didn't for us. These things effect confidence which, as you know, is one of the biggest causes of loss of form.

I've seen enough of Bernard to know he can have a good partnership with Digne on the left. Kean and Iwobi have both at times shown signs of what they can do in a team collectively playing with confidence. A fully fit Gbamin and Gomes will transform our midfield. Pickford can be a decent keeper if he can get his head straight again.

A lot of ifs and buts in there, but I'm one of the few on here who believe things aren't as bad as they seem. With this squad we have now we're probably no better than top 8. But three, maybe four shrewd signings in the right area's, plus a change of luck with injuries and refereeing decisions, could see us really push on in my view.

Are we not still in the middle of this process, we had one of the youngest teams playing a few time steps year, Rich, DCL, Iwobi, Davies, Holgate, Pickworth, all young, potentially could be sold for more than paid with a good season under the belt...
These are all step up from the three you mention, which TBF all should have had more of a chance, though Onyekuru situation separate...
I’m a massive fan of young Pickworth, whoever he is.

Also the thought of finding anyone to fork out >30m for Iwobi.

Well the RBL model is to sign low cost/high potential players, coach them well, sell them for a profit then purchase higher cost/higher potential players.

It's not a rocket science model but we tried the first part (Lookman, Vlasic, Onyekuru), didn't give them much of a chance, binned them off, signed overpriced PL tosh.

The three players you mention are all low cost / high potential players that we bought and then sold on for a decent profit. Add into that the likes of Braithwaite, DCL, Holgate and then others in the wings such as Ben Gibson. Even the big money signing of Richarlison has been a wise investment under the model you describe.

Trouble is the whole shebang is a little more complicated than just doing that. It's not a new fangled model that nobody has ever thought of. A huge part of RBL's rise into the Bundesliga has been their huge spending power in comparison to other lower league German sides due to them binning off the traditional ownership structure within German football.

It's easy to look at their success from a distance and compare to Evertons failures. Do you think Everton signing Lookman for £10M from Charlton and flogging the bit part sulker that he was to RBL for £18M where he has done nothing since is a good example of RBL working that model?

Or do you just mention their successes in comparison to Everton's failures and vice versa ignore their failures and ignore Everton's successful applications of this "model"?

Status
Not open for further replies.