2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes perhaps. He's certainly looked like he cares the last couple of games though. I know people don't like the arm pointing, but having leadership and organisation in a team is important.

The lad is quite limited. He's one paced, he can't go past people, he's not really a tackler (though he does ok in that department) I don't think he's intricate. It;s not his fault we paid 40-45m for him.

His ability really is he has great ability in his right foot. He can strike the ball well, and deliver the ball well. He also gets back into position and is quite disciplined without the ball. He's probably one, that if an offer came in he'd probably go, but if it doesn't Ancelotti will probably seek to use him and as fans we have to accept he's not going to be the player we felt he was.

...interesting Ancelotti picked him out as a future manager (along with Baines and Coleman). I imagine he likes talking to his players about the game, clearly some more than others.

...interesting Ancelotti picked him out as a future manager (along with Baines and Coleman). I imagine he likes talking to his players about the game, clearly some more than others.

I can see Gylfi going into coaching too actually.

Its clear that physically he cant really play the role in the way we would want too, but he looks to take responsibility in games, or has in the last 3 anyway. The issue for him is physical and technical.

I thought he gave us good control in the derby too when he came on.

Unfortunately with the price tag and the expectation that he would be a player who single handedly revived us it was always going to be hard for him. I doubt just being a cog in a machine will be enough for most fans, which is fair enough.

However, Ancelotti can clearly trust him, he's solid, passes the ball ok and fills in in a number of positions. It's probably not what he wanted, he wanted the team built around him but he's not good enough to justify it. He does appear to be ok with being a cog in the machine though and playing a little deeper.

The manager will not be bothered how much was spent on him before. If he does a job for him, he will want to keep picking him.

A bit like Phil Neville then...

Don’t start letting a few tackles and a pass 5 yards away disguise what a horrific footballer he is.

We need a CM who dictates play when he has it not simply has the ability to pass.

I thought he was lucky with the penalty if the GK had dived to his right it would have been an easy save. The ball was not put right into the corner.

I thought he was lucky with the penalty if the GK had dived to his right it would have been an easy save. The ball was not put right into the corner.

He waited for the keeper to go tho didnt he?

Thought that was the whole point of him looking at the keeper not the ball as hes about to strike it.

Whichever way keeper moves hes just gonna put the ball the other side, doesnt need to be in the corner if hes sure the keeper has gone the other way

He waited for the keeper to go tho didnt he?

Thought that was the whole point of him looking at the keeper not the ball as hes about to strike it.

Whichever way keeper moves hes just gonna put the ball the other side, doesnt need to be in the corner if hes sure the keeper has gone the other way

You may think that but for me he is still not a convincing penalty taker.

Don't get me wrong i dont think it was the best pen ever.

But I recon the waiting for the keeper to move thing was the reason it wasnt in a corner

For me it should still be placed better, review the pens he has taken over the l;ast couple of seasons.

Unfortunately I suppose I was brought up on the master penalty of all time in a royal blue shirt - Roy Vernon.

For me it should still be placed better, review the pens he has taken over the l;ast couple of seasons.

Unfortunately I suppose I was brought up on the master penalty of all time in a royal blue shirt - Roy Vernon.

Yeah he has missed a few for us I accept that.

Think he had a nearly perfect record for the teams he played for before tho.

Is Vernon our record pen scorer?

I was brought up on Rhino taking the net off with every pen he hit!

Yeah he has missed a few for us I accept that.

Think he had a nearly perfect record for the teams he played for before tho.

Is Vernon our record pen scorer?

I was brought up on Rhino taking the net off with every pen he hit!

As regards the number of pens taken by each over their playing time have to ask someone like Eggs or Joey66.:)

He just doesn’t have the legs to play centre midfield. Although they work hard, his and Gomes’ lack of mobility are being cruelly exposed at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.