Old Everton Pictures

should have made the grade.....
Should have. Remember around 73? Sagging school to go to a night match at Luton. Derby had finished their games and were top of the league. Think we had 2 games left and if we won them we could overtake them. We absolutely battered luton. Gary Jones missed sitter after sitter. We lost 2-1 and with that the title. It was the year Carlisle beat us twice. Gary never recovered from.thst game

You're right about that Luton game, we should have won easily, but it was 4 or 5 games from the end of the season and I think we'd have gone back to the top if we'd won.

As for Gary Jones, he had the natural ability to be a superstar but somehow it never quite happened for him. He had a great spell the following season, 75/6, but then fell out with Bingham and had a dispute over money. I remember him scoring two against Villa when he tore John Gidman apart. He was sold to Birmingham but only lasted two seasons there before drifting off to the USA, as a lot of players did at that time, where he played in the same team as George Best, Gordon Banks and Gerd Muller! All of them, of course, were past their best while Gary should have been in his prime. I know he had a knee injury so don't think he lasted too long there.

You're right about that Luton game, we should have won easily, but it was 4 or 5 games from the end of the season and I think we'd have gone back to the top if we'd won.

As for Gary Jones, he had the natural ability to be a superstar but somehow it never quite happened for him. He had a great spell the following season, 75/6, but then fell out with Bingham and had a dispute over money. I remember him scoring two against Villa when he tore John Gidman apart. He was sold to Birmingham but only lasted two seasons there before drifting off to the USA, as a lot of players did at that time, where he played in the same team as George Best, Gordon Banks and Gerd Muller! All of them, of course, were past their best while Gary should have been in his prime. I know he had a knee injury so don't think he lasted too long there.
Ah right Thanks for the updated info. That's why I didn't do well at school
I couldn't count!! Always liked Gary. Could easily beat a man but never scored much. Did wonder why he was out the team. Didn't realise he fell out with Bingham

Last edited:

1588625783569.png