Alan Ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJB77EFC

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
Heard my arl fella laud Alan ball for years and heard other ex-pros talk about him. But for blues of an older age could I have views on how good he was for us and why he left in his prime?

Heard my arl fella laud Alan ball for years and heard other ex-pros talk about him. But for blues of an older age could I have views on how good he was for us and why he left in his prime?
Mr perpetual motion best box to box goalscoring midfielder you could ever see in a blue [Poor language removed] = he was World Class - plus no way could we afford him today - why we sold him only The Catt knew that a big blunder imo....

Alan Ball was one of only a very small handful of truly world class players to have ever played for us.
On his day he was simply unplayable and would dictate games. Even on his rare off days you could always guarantee 100pc effort.
The term 'perpetual motion' could have been invented for Bally.
Why was he sold? I've asked myself that every day for the past 49 years

Alan Ball was one of only a very small handful of truly world class players to have ever played for us.
On his day he was simply unplayable and would dictate games. Even on his rare off days you could always guarantee 100pc effort.
The term 'perpetual motion' could have been invented for Bally.
Why was he sold? I've asked myself that every day for the past 49 years
That team should have won more with the talent they had but the rot set in the season after seemingly. Golden era for older Blues that should have seen more of it.

My late dad said the selling of Bally knocked the stuffing out of the club. He said the fans were in disbelief and dare I say it, so were the the players and we never recovered. Catterick’s health was failing and so was his judgement. He hated the RS as much as anyone, but he said Bally was as influential to Everton as Gerrard was to the RS. Bally led by example he said, was the heartbeat of the team. He said George Best was the best ever player he saw live at Goodison in his prime, but Ball was the best Everton player. Two world class players.

For those of us never to have seen him play, what modern player is the closest comparison to him?

...very good question. I always think he was a ‘tiki taki’ player before Barcelona tiki taki was invented. Graeme Souness was some midfielder and he said he played against Ball when he was nearing the end of his career and couldn’t get near him, it was touch and always on the move.

He’d also get in great goalscoring positions and score. He’d score in the big games, he’d score when his team most needed. Great mentality, with the ability to sit on the ball during a game because he could.

Scholes/Iniesta hybrid perhaps.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.