Potential cancellation of games - Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting to genuinely think it will end this season now. All the experts are saying this won't be a quick thing the virus is expected to last all through the summer at least, it won't be something that they can get a grip of now it's too late.

They either cancel the leagues or cancel the Euros (and Olympics) and all we know what the sporting bodies will prefer. As cruel and unbelievably unlucky as it would be to many different clubs throughout football, public health is something that simply can't be put behind sports and money. It's becoming just a question of when.
I don’t think experts know about how long the virus lasts in summer weather. I saw a research paper saying it thrives in the high 40s Fahrenheit. It will fizzle soon if that’s the case

I don’t think experts know about how long the virus lasts in summer weather. I saw a research paper saying it thrives in the high 40s Fahrenheit. It will fizzle soon if that’s the case

Michael Olsterholm said on JRE that warm weather doesn't make a difference, other strains of the virus have been recorded in Middle-Eastern desert countries. The Chinese markets it's thrived in are extremely cramped and hot yet it made its' way out. I honestly think the only way we get through this is by taking it on the chin and hoping our immune systems can fight it off. Won't be the case for everyone though. :(

Michael Olsterholm said on JRE that warm weather doesn't make a difference, other strains of the virus have been recorded in Middle-Eastern desert countries. The Chinese markets it's thrived in are extremely cramped and hot yet it made its' way out. I honestly think the only way we get through this is by taking it on the chin and hoping our immune systems can fight it off. Won't be the case for everyone though. :(
As much as I respect what he does, I'm not certain he's the most studied on this subject as the people who are actually doing the research.

Other experts, like Hassan Zaraket, an assistant director at the Centre for Infectious Diseases Research at the American University of Beirut, said it was possible that warmer, more humid weather would make the coronavirus less stable and thus less transmissible, as was the case with other viral pathogens.

“We are still learning about this virus, but based on what we know of other coronaviruses we can be hopeful,” he said.

However, a separate study by a group of researchers including epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch from Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health, found that sustained transmission of the coronavirus and the rapid growth in infections was possible in a range of humidity conditions – from cold and dry provinces in China to tropical locations, such as the Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region in the far south of the country and
Singapore. Weather alone, [such as an] increase of temperature and humidity as the spring and summer months arrive in the Northern Hemisphere, will not necessarily lead to declines in case counts without the implementation of extensive public health interventions,” said the study, which was published in February and is also awaiting scientific review.
notice how they do not speak in absolutes that weather won't affect it. They are speaking in essentially worst case scenario which is their job to do as epidemiologists.

The study, by a team from Sun Yat-sen University in Guangzhou, the capital of south China’s Guangdong province, sought to determine how the spread of the new coronavirus might be affected by changes in season and temperature.
Published last month, though yet to be peer-reviewed, the report suggested heat had a significant role to play in how the virus behaves.
“Temperature could significantly change Covid-19 transmission,” it said. “And there might be a best temperature for viral transmission.”

I think we need to see the impacts on the warmer regions before we make assumptions on the criticality of the virus
As for China, any flu thrives in the likes of say packed markets, then coupled with cold weather They are experiencing it will spread

In the main most people will get through this with little distress
The sad part is the vulnerable people will not be so lucky

Also worth noting that even studies saying temperature and humidity don't affect transmission are putting these type of disclaimers in

The study suggests that humidity — which appears to be correlated with the seasonality of the flu — is not correlated with transmissibility of Covid-19, she says. (She also stresses to treat the data as “provisional,” and that her group is still studying the potential effect of temperature on transmissibility.)

Surely if the meeting is on Friday they'll let this weekends round of fixtures go by before implementing behind closed doors - not exactly fair on people who have potentially travelled from all over and staying in a hotel until the game to be told you wont be aloud in.

Surely if the meeting is on Friday they'll let this weekends round of fixtures go by before implementing behind closed doors - not exactly fair on people who have potentially travelled from all over and staying in a hotel until the game to be told you wont be aloud in.

I’m sure they’ll put the health and safety of the country and locals ahead of a few hundred people who traveled in.

It's not like they haven't been warned that large public events might get cancelled at a moments notice. I question the fan being fair by potential spreading more corona around the country by travelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.