2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're mixing up historical knowledge (which is great, good on you) with the ability to see into the future.

We as fans who think he will improve even more may be wrong.

But you may too? You come across a little like you don't think about that enough...
I fully respect your thoughts as a fellow Evertonion but I honestly don't think he is or will be good enough to be the striker we need to keep us with the big boys. BUT - slight possibility I may be wrong! he he!

Yeah I don't think anyone can criticise you for thinking that. He's missed some big, big chances.
Personally I don't think the Chelsea one, whilst an awful attempt, would have changed the complexion of the game. It was the easiest game Chelsea will have all season.
It was chelsea easiest game I agree but he has to bury that mate nevertheless, but for me the jury is still out mate.

I'd agree with that. It's a poorly assembled squad. No balance. No variety. No character.

But what we do have is a spine of quality that we can build around.

Holgate
Gomes
Calvert-Lewin
Richarlison

Throw in some underperforming players who no doubt can kick on

Pickford
Digne
Kean (hopefully)

There is something to work with. For the first time in many years.
May I disagree slightly! DCL - number 2 striker. Need someone better. Holgate - Reminds me of John Stones - Good on his day but sometimes a liability.

It was chelsea easiest game I agree but he has to bury that mate nevertheless, but for me the jury is still out mate.
13 goals in the last ten games what does he have to do score with every effort ?
I have put a thread post up and it does not include the top two strikers we have - it our one paced uncreative midfield...

13 goals in the last ten games what does he have to do score with every effort ?
I have put a thread post up and it does not include the top two strikers we have - it our one paced uncreative midfield...
How many in the previous 10, you love that stat.No one is saying he is crap he is not, but people can question is he good enough.

Please ! Please ! Don,t put DCL in the same lge of former Everton strikers - Latchford. Lineker. Andy Gray.. Ferguson. Lukaku. etc. Won't improve a great deal more and won't be the dominant striker this club needs to rapidly take us up wits the big boys.

Do you need a dominant striker to be a CL team in this league?

I'm not sure you do though it depends on a number of factors. If your central striker offers hold up play and/or creativity then I think you can get away with them getting 15 league goals a season. You do need a few others to contribute in this situation though. Probably need 2 or 3 other players getting +10 league goals. That get's you to about 45 goals with others chipping in with another 15 or so. +60 goals scored and a decent defence (<38 goals conceded) and statistically you have a very good chance of a Top 6 finish.

In the case of DCL, he's still a developing striker. 13 league goals at the age of 22 is a good return. He's got more than a third of all ou league goals this season. DCL also has decent hold up play and will willingly run the channels and stretch defences allowing more space for Richarlison and others to operate in. I suppose what I'm saying is that he's still young but his current goal return and general play is a positive. He has improvements to make but he's still plenty young enough to improve over the next few seasons. I don't expect him to evolve into a 30 goal a season man but he could regularly get +15 league goals a season and be a focal point for the attack. We do need goals from elsewhere though. Richarlison is offering that support. Needs to be from more players though. Bernard is the 3rd highest scorer with 3 goals. That's the main issue, not DCL's ability to be a 'dominant striker'.

Status
Not open for further replies.